PDA

View Full Version : Which reflex site?

superbrad
03-30-2014, 02:14 PM
I just picked up a ruger gunsite scout .308 for deer hunting, this will be my midday thick brush walk about deer rifle... I picked the scout due to small size and relatively light weight and for the ability to mount a scout style quick aquisition scope...

That being said, I am looking for a reflex style site and was wondering what you guys would reccomend under 500 bucks.. if possible I would like the style that has the crosshairs as well as the illuminated dot....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Strewth
03-30-2014, 02:32 PM
Lucid HD7? Has multiple dot selections, people seem happy with them? I played with one, it worked?

Hmmm used Eotech to get the crosshairs, or if you can go with just a dot, Aimpoint PRO; cheapest goodest=Bushnell TRS-25...although the only problem I have with my TRSs is that they're not waterproof, more water resistant. Not sure if I'd trust them hunting. They would handle the recoil though.

superbrad
03-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Thanks strewth... was thinking something more in line with a true reflex, maybe holographic? Design like a burris fastfire.... I am about as tactical as a blunderbuss so don't know too much about this stuff...

lone-wolf
03-30-2014, 03:17 PM
SFRC is supposed to be getting in some lucid m7s, 2moa red dot, under $300 iirc
I'd like to try em

Strewth
03-31-2014, 01:38 PM
Fastfire would work....they're a little delicate-seeming to me for bushwacking? I've only shot one once on a pistol though, and I'm a clumsy bumpkin. Can you get them with crosshairs?

One that has multiple reticles with a sturdy housing is the MSE ACQ, little pricey though...

Any reason for wanting a true holographic (laser emitted reticle sandwiched between two panes of glass, no parallax distortion, minor temperature sensitivity, laser uses batteries up quicker)
rather than a "red dot"(LED emits a dot onto polarized glass, encased in tube to protect emitter, minor parallax distortion, no temperature sensitivity, LED uses very little power)?

superbrad
04-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Fastfire would work....they're a little delicate-seeming to me for bushwacking? I've only shot one once on a pistol though, and I'm a clumsy bumpkin. Can you get them with crosshairs?

One that has multiple reticles with a sturdy housing is the MSE ACQ, little pricey though...

Any reason for wanting a true holographic (laser emitted reticle sandwiched between two panes of glass, no parallax distortion, minor temperature sensitivity, laser uses batteries up quicker)
rather than a "red dot"(LED emits a dot onto polarized glass, encased in tube to protect emitter, minor parallax distortion, no temperature sensitivity, LED uses very little power)?

I find the holographic reflex style sites give the fastest aquisition without narrowing field of view.... The woods in Ontario are really thick and shot windows are small.... looking for something I get can get on target as quick as possible... I have hunted red dots fo rdeer and turkey but find the tube narrows field of view and getting it on target in tight quarters in a hurry can be tricky....

Strewth
04-01-2014, 08:36 AM
^Makes sense:).

Hmmm, I really don't know then, Fastfire get good reviews, but I don't think a crosshair is available, other than that back to Eotech? Are there any other reputable holographic sights?

superbrad
04-01-2014, 08:53 AM
I know Eotech has the crosshair reticle but it is an illuminated crosshair.... wondering if anyone makes one similar to a Mil dot type setup... So far it is looking like Fastfire or Bushnell First strike... or maybe bust budget and go with a Vortex Razor....

awndray
04-01-2014, 09:04 AM
I have a cheap Browning branded Sighmark Sureshot Reflex on my Buck Mark Camper. It works fine for 22 plinking at the range, but I think you'd do well with the more rugged Burris or the Bushnell. If you want to spend some more coin, Zeiss makes a Victory Compact Point Reflex which is in the USD$500 range.

hercster
04-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks strewth... was thinking something more in line with a true reflex, maybe holographic? Design like a burris fastfire.... I am about as tactical as a blunderbuss so don't know too much about this stuff...

I just got a Burris Fasfire III and like it so far. I also have a Leopold Delta Point and have owned a Trijicon RMR so I can compare. The Fastfire is a bit of a lightweight construction wise with the Trijicon being the best in terms of ruggedness. The Leupold is excellent except for the adjustment screws which are tiny and a PITA to use. I have a DP Delta at 7 MOA and use that for the games where it works very well. My Burris has a 3 MOA dot.

For the money, the Burris is fine. They sell a model which include an AR mount and hood. I would buy that for use in the bush and never worry about damage. Even my unit comes with a nice plastic hood that works well and would protect the sight from light knocks.

For the hunting application for a reasonable cost, I would go with the FastFire III with the new AR mount and hood. You are likely looking at $300/325 if you can find it in Canada.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/989800?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Optics%20-%20Red%20Dot%20%26%20Holographic%20Sights-_-PriceCompListing-_-989800&gclid=CNCW4-vVv70CFbTm7Aoddm0AZA

Image: http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/989/989800.jpg

superbrad
04-01-2014, 10:06 AM
I just got a Burris Fasfire III and like it so far. I also have a Leopold Delta Point and have owned a Trijicon RMR so I can compare. The Fastfire is a bit of a lightweight construction wise with the Trijicon being the best in terms of ruggedness. The Leupold is excellent except for the adjustment screws which are tiny and a PITA to use. I have a DP Delta at 7 MOA and use that for the games where it works very well. My Burris has a 3 MOA dot.

For the money, the Burris is fine. They sell a model which include an AR mount and hood. I would buy that for use in the bush and never worry about damage. Even my unit comes with a nice plastic hood that works well and would protect the sight from light knocks.

For the hunting application for a reasonable cost, I would go with the FastFire III with the new AR mount and hood. You are likely looking at $300/325 if you can find it in Canada.

Do I really need the AR mount?.... it's a hunting application and would like it as close to the barrel as possible... how high up would the mount force it to sit?

hercster
04-01-2014, 10:16 AM
Do I really need the AR mount?.... it's a hunting application and would like it as close to the barrel as possible... how high up would the mount force it to sit?

The short answer is no. I mounted mine on a pistol with a picatinny rail and the rail mount you can get included with the RDS. I actually like the plastic hood a lot. It's light and good enough to keep the rain off and absorb light wacks from branches and such. There is also another protector you can buy that has "wings" to protect the sight.

The AR mount raises the sight so that it can co witness with an AR set of irons. It lifts the sight about 3/4 inch or close. I plan to try the FF on my shotgun too and I think it's plenty rugged enough for a 12 ga recoil.

The AR mount will give you the best protection at the expense of raising the sight line.

This raises the question. How do you intend to mount it?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

superbrad
04-01-2014, 10:21 AM
interesting.... I wonder if it would come close to co-witnessing the site on my scout..... Assuming the mount is not height adjustable....

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/images/6803.jpg

hercster
04-01-2014, 11:01 AM
interesting.... I wonder if it would come close to co-witnessing the site on my scout..... Assuming the mount is not height adjustable....

http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/images/6803.jpg

I think you would need to raise it a bit to take it out of the view blocked by that Rear Sight. It doesn't look like it would absolutely co witness but my guess is that you would first see the iron FS which will make it fast to find the dot.

Here is a pic with the sight mounted using the picatinny mount on my pistol. I think you could come up with a very good option on that rifle.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab203/hercster44/BurrisFF_zps5012118d.jpg (http://s864.photobucket.com/user/hercster44/media/BurrisFF_zps5012118d.jpg.html)

You can see that the picatinny mount raises the sight window. It may be enough to see over the iron

awndray
07-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Have you picked your optics yet?

I keep wanting to find a carbine length bolt gun for thick Sudbury bush deer, and though I know many people don't like Savage, I keep trying to find something like a Hog Hunter of the Scout; but this Ruger keeps catching my eye. Damn you.

superbrad
07-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Have you picked your optics yet?

I keep wanting to find a carbine length bolt gun for thick Sudbury bush deer, and though I know many people don't like Savage, I keep trying to find something like a Hog Hunter of the Scout; but this Ruger keeps catching my eye. Damn you.

The rifle hasn't come in yet..... Prophet River is importing it for me..... there are only two like it in Canada, it's walnut stock with stainless.... us model 16 inch barrel with flash hider.....

I am waiting for it to come in and I will be trying a Vortex 1-4 with illuminated reticle mounted slightly scout style (just forward of the ejection port)..... As long as I can shoot both eyes open I should be good to go.... If not, I am biting the bullet and picking up the Vortex razor....

Rifle looks like the one in the pic.... I have also purchased the XS full length rail fo rit as well as a 3 round mag for hunting..... I can swing by with it o ryou can come for a shoot when I get it if you want to try it out.....

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa170/sakoalberta/woodscout_zpsce305b85.jpg

lone-wolf
07-14-2014, 04:11 PM
beauty