PDA

View Full Version : PR opportunity

hercster
04-02-2014, 11:16 AM
I just read a thread on the other forum discussing a lecture that "Stormbringer" will be making at one of the universities. Stormbringer is an excellent spokes person for the community. I've always thought we could be doing more by way of informing and involving young people in our sports. Here is my post verbatim:

Comment:

This is excellent! We will be very well represented.

I've had an idea that I would like to see pursued. I'm in Texas now where I shoot with a couple of clubs. One of them posts and emails a COF file before each of our fun matches. The result looks like the stages have been designed using software. There's a round count, number of targets by type and distances in a summary.

This would be valuable to all clubs as it could be used as a design aid and would make that chore easier and reproducible in revised form for later matches.

What I would like to see is a challenge made and issued to the Tech and IT schools and classes. The project would include range visits and interviews with shooters. I think it would be a great way to get young people involved with us and give them a chance to see the real world from a Gun User perspective.

The challenge could include a prize/recognition of some sort for participating schools.

Along with what Mr. Storm is doing, this would put us in contact with young people in a very positive way.

Gord

Strewth
04-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Good idea hercster; a COF design App!

hercster
04-02-2014, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Strewth;133672]Good idea hercster; a COF design App![/QUOTE

Yep. And we could make it free issue to all the clubs and members here. I have some of the experience necessary for the design but we would make it a community project and involve as many schools as we could. It could generate some favourable press and make us some friends for life.

BTW, the clubs here have all adopted an app for scoring. Each squad is issued a hand held device with the match preloaded including the shooters. We score on the screen which costs about $150 a unit. It's easy and very flexible as you can specify penalty levels and other variables. At the end of the match, the scores are consolidated on the "master" machine and uploaded to the net or club webpage. Shooters can see the scores as they are packing the range bags to go home. I'll get more details if there is interest and post.

Strewth
04-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Well, I'm interested, the ones you emailed me are simple to follow and easy to understand. The scoring machine sounds very cool...I wonder if you can get a camera to recognize bullet holes like it recognizes faces or eyes?

hercster
04-02-2014, 01:26 PM
I'll bet that's coming! I hope they never take the "bang" out of shooting. I'll get more info on those handhelds and the software. I know the latter is free. Tabulating and posting scores has to be a real drag. I can't remember the make of the device and webpage but I'll go to the range tonight and get the poop. Apparently the software runs on Iphone, Ipads and similar but the devices are ruggedized and really easy to use. The flexibility is amazing as you can move people from one squad to another, reorder shooters and much more.

Neil Burke
04-03-2014, 07:52 AM
It doesn't need to be just software tools. The University of Waterloo has a capstone project for every Engineering discipline. Had I gotten into shooting a year or two prior, I probably would have built something shooting related for mine.