PDA

View Full Version : Email I received from my MP Cheryl Gallant

chalkriver
04-03-2014, 09:29 AM
This is a copy of an email I just received from her .
On a personal level she has never impressed me very much but..... if she isn't just sucking up for votes this is a good thing .

My nameís Cheryl and I am the Member of Parliament for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke.

With the RCMPís recent attempt at another confiscation by re-classification, Steven, a concerned Canadian from the Quebec riding of Pontiac launched a petition which you signed.

Steven called his NDP Member of Parliament in Pontiac, but his MP didnít want to hear from him.

So, he had to drive to Ontario to find a Member of Parliament who would accept his petition.

Thatís why I am writing to you.

You need to know your voice is being heard in Ottawa.

Since I was first elected in 2000, I have been fighting for the rights of responsible firearms owners.

While we scrapped the wasteful long-gun registry, there is still more work that needs to be done.

Job #1 is educating Canadians who donít own firearms that we still need to make reforms to protect the property rights of all Canadians.

That is why I started the website www.responsiblefirearmsreform.ca last year.

I need to hear from Canadians like you who want to see greater protections for the rights of responsible firearms owners.

Together, we need to reach out to your friends and neighbours who may not know the RCMP has used every opportunity and excuse it can to seize lawfully purchased firearms.

I encourage you to visit the site and help spread the word at www.responsiblefirearmsreform.ca/spread_the_word

Sincerely,
Cheryl Gallant
http://www.cherylgallant.ca/

awndray
04-03-2014, 09:34 AM
I received the same. I don't like her M-439 and M-452 ideas, but I like that she [says she] wants to educate Canadians.

Edenchef
04-03-2014, 09:38 AM
I would suggest that Steven raise Holy H__L with his dipper MP. It's his(MP's) f____g job to represent his constituents in Parliament, regardless of his personal or party beliefs. This is why we need the ability to recall these pompous a______s. If they don't do the job turf them out and get someone who will. JMHO.

Cheers!

Strewth
04-03-2014, 10:31 AM
I received the same. I don't like her M-439 and M-452 ideas, but I like that she [says she] wants to educate Canadians.
x2 and...

I would suggest that Steven raise Holy H__L with his dipper MP. It's his(MP's) f____g job to represent his constituents in Parliament, regardless of his personal or party beliefs. This is why we need the ability to recall these pompous a______s. If they don't do the job turf them out and get someone who will. JMHO.

....x2 here as well, although it's our fault for not being more involved. Having a recall system in place that doesn't rely on our MPs to recall each other:confused1: would really be best.

blacksmithden
04-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Got the same one. Might have to send her specifically, a small donation. If you send your mp a donation, does it stay with them or does it go into a Tory slush fund ?

Steveo9mm
04-03-2014, 06:57 PM
We now have 3 threads on this... Time to lock something

chalkriver
04-03-2014, 08:15 PM
If this thread bothers you so much why don't you go write that on the other two then. Mine was up first .

hercster
04-03-2014, 09:22 PM
It may well be that Gallant's bills are exactly what everybody wants but she has been active regularly for a long time. We can Bi^&h about MP's that do nothing but Cheryl Gallant isn't one of them. I've likely been getting her emails for a year now despite not being in her riding. The woman isn't badly informed and she does listen to our input. I doubt that there is another politician that has been as active on our issues.

Bills are bills and many get no where. But Gallant has gotten us visibility and perhaps more credibility too. On several occasions she has forwarded the results of her polls to a bunch of other CPC MP's. If we wait for the perfect politician, with the perfect approach to our issues we may miss the bus.

hercster
04-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Those who have views on what Gallant has done should go to the web she created. Reading the posts there will show that a lot of sometime divergent opinions have been registered. Objections to her bills are also there and the site reflects the many positions held in the firearms community. There's a lot of information in one place to be read by any interested party and it was assembled because of Gallant's actions. Take a look if you haven't already.

http://www.responsiblefirearmsreform.ca/

Camo tung
04-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Those who have views on what Gallant has done should go to the web she created. Reading the posts there will show that a lot of sometime divergent opinions have been registered. Objections to her bills are also there and the site reflects the many positions held in the firearms community. There's a lot of information in one place to be read by any interested party and it was assembled because of Gallant's actions. Take a look if you haven't already.

http://www.responsiblefirearmsreform.ca/

There's nothing to say she won't or can't collaborate with anyone who posts a suggestion to fine tune her bill, or future bills, to reflect what's important to Canadian gun owners. It has to start somewhere and this woman is promoting the shooting community more than anyone other politician right now. I think she deserves our support.

hercster
04-05-2014, 12:22 PM
What ever happens, we can be sure it will go through many iterations and revisions. Hardly a week goes by that I don't get something from Ms. Gallant. It may not interest me but it does show that she's in her constituency working rather than sitting in the office waiting for a paycheck. I've started several threads based on an email from her on both Canadian forums. When I did this one, there were others already in the pipe and many people said that they had gotten the email too. Does anyone get unsolicited information from any other MP?

The web site she has created are a ready-made focus group for the eventual decision makers. Harper and others can get a quick snap shot of what we think in ten minutes on that site without reading 1000's of repetitive emails. I didn't totally agree with the recent verbiage, but I rarely will. I've spent countless hours that merged into days and weeks drafting policy documentation. As you say Mr. Tung, what we see now is only a start. The only criticism that counts is what gets expressed. Gallant's web site is a forum for what we think and want. It seems to be a good idea to contribute.

stevebc
04-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Iterations and revisions? How about Cheryl tosses the whole stinking mess in the garbage can and starts over?
Her Bill is a disaster, and is unsalvageable.

hercster
04-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Iterations and revisions? How about Cheryl tosses the whole stinking mess in the garbage can and starts over?
Her Bill is a disaster, and is unsalvageable.

Actually, I wasn't referring to her bill but rather to whatever might get done or not in the broader sense with respect to the FA and related legislation. By now, there isn't a Canadian politician around that hasn't heard what most of us think is necessary. Only some of the comments on that web site refer to the bill. Most are much broader and fairly represent what many of us say and want.

awndray
04-08-2014, 05:54 AM
Apparently Gallant met with Harper regarding the petition.

Congratulations group. Our petition has made it to the PMO's office. Cheryl Gallant. Made good on her promise to take it the the Prime Minister directly. I was informed today by phone that they had a meeting and are moving forward with plans to make changes to the gun laws. Cheryl said that Prime Minister Harper was very moved by our petition and said that he respects it and will move forward on this issue.

I was told that I would get some updates on the bill changes in the near future from her. She told me that they will get this fixed.

Lets call our members and remind them we are watching. This group and the petition are having real effects that are being felt in Ottawa. So lets not stop the presser.

I was told that the petition online was amazing. It offered so many great personal comments that the Prime Minister was overwhelmed at the response. Over 11900 names were brought and the updated version will be brought to the next meeting with even more names.

Once again well done. Lets keep the fight up. Now that we are being heard lets not get lazy and fight fight fight!

In other petition news, apparently some people want her out. http://ec2-54-243-135-12.compute-1.amazonaws.com/petition/force-mp-cheryl-gallant-to-resign-her-position