PDA

View Full Version : Tapco SKS mag???

shadowwarrior
04-04-2014, 10:17 PM
I just picked up a couple of mags and with 5rounds in I cant get them to go in over closed bolt. Are they all pinned that tight and does anyone have any suggestions on loosening it up if thats possible, and yes my bolt is trimmed.

Thanks.

Strewth
04-04-2014, 10:27 PM
This is the only way I know how to disassemble them, and then you can lightly file the round limiter (checking often!) until you can fit 5.5 on a closed bolt.
Before you attack your mag like I had to, the moderator Satain might have a better idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wzh0FV9-qgg

zulu
04-04-2014, 10:29 PM
do you mean you did the bolt mod so that it should close? with out the bolt mod the bolt must be to the rear when inserting the mag

shadowwarrior
04-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Yes bolt is modded, mag goes in and out freely with 4 rounds. Im on nights doing 12"s for next6 days so im gonna wait till days off. Thanks Strewth, I'll check that out mine hes a rivet whick I assume is to prevent pinning rod from (slipping out) I should be able to repair a worn out rivet

shadowwarrior
04-05-2014, 08:50 PM
OK I tried to trim back the rod in the mag and got to the point I could almost force number 6 in so that's where I stopped. I'm guessing that is how the nice man in the white car would check capacity(by force), still not enough room to get the mag in with a closed bolt. I'm not sure on the rules for the CQB shoots at AFG regarding an open bolt with a mag in place to start the course of fire, maybe Strewth or someone familiar with event can help on this. If not allowed this could be the perfect opportunity to explain to the wife why I need to move to an AR platform.

Strewth
04-06-2014, 11:39 AM
At the Abby CQB Matches (next one June 7th:)), it's mag in on a closed bolt, so that's a no-go....AR time!:)

Seriously though (although an AR is never a bad idea, couple guys there yesterday were running $600 Norcs right beside $3000 Christensen Arms, the paper targets didn't care) it will work on 4 rounds, but not 5? I have no idea, that's weird. I'll bug Satain for you, he has more experience with Tapcos than me.

Jarlath
04-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Did you guys even read the actual instructions that come with the Tapco SKS mags?

http://www.tapco.com/pdfs/instructions/SKS%20mag%20installation.pdf

Line 5 includes the following:

ALWAYS HAVE THE BOLT BACK WHEN INSERTING OR EXTRACTING MAGAZINES.

The feed lips ride inside the grroves in the bolt. So you can pull out a magazine but you risk damaging feed lips from them stretching around the bolt while removing the mag. The same thing (feed lips) prevents mags from being inserted.

zulu
04-07-2014, 09:05 AM
^he knows this. that's why hes done the "bolt mod" or bolt trim. so that is no longer the issue

shadowwarrior
04-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Have not tried putting mag w/5 in on open bolt then closing bolt. Just checked my schedule Strewth and Im working the sat. of the june CQB, might have to see if I can swap a shift with another operator.

VancouverSkiBum
04-10-2014, 12:12 AM
Did you guys even read the actual instructions that come with the Tapco SKS mags?

^he knows this. that's why hes done the "bolt mod" or bolt trim. so that is no longer the issue

lol...

Satain
04-15-2014, 09:53 PM
What mag's are you using?
American pinned or California 5 round internal blocked?

shadowwarrior
04-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Plastic rod from base up to follower and riveted through at base also.

Jarlath
04-17-2014, 12:35 PM
They could be literally 5 round magazines, with the limiting pin/rod only allowing 5 rounds. There was an issue with the old LAR mags where if you loaded them to 10 you could not insert on a closed bolt due to insufficent follower travel.
5 rounds on an open bolt = no issues with follower/spring compression.

Example: In a pinned 5 round magazine the follower travels far enough to allow 5.5 rounds worth which allows for compression when insterted on a closed bolt.

shadowwarrior
04-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Problem solved as far as CQB rules are concerned, AR platform on the way hoping to see it on Monday.

greywolf67nt
08-06-2014, 09:19 PM
My son has the Tapco mag for his bastardized plastic SKS.
Has anyone had an issue with the last round just popping out, not feeding properly, when the action opens after your fourth shot?

Strewth
08-06-2014, 09:36 PM
^Can you replicate it with just two rounds in the mag?

Edit: Probably safe to guess it's the feed lips of the Tapco mag; try it with the stock magazine?

greywolf67nt
08-06-2014, 10:19 PM
It doesn't happen all the time but we will try with just 2 rounds and see if we can make it happen.