PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk chainsaws fellas....

50calshooter
04-28-2012, 04:55 PM
So, I'm looking for a chainsaw, been putting it off for quite some time now.

I went and looked at the Stihl 250-C today and I gotta say, it feels right. Great features with the easy start and quick chain adjuster and the sales guy said he would upgrade the bar to 18" for 10 bucks. Total price for the 250-C with 18" Bar, $409

The other version I looked at is one step down, the 230. 5cc's less on motor size and 0.4 kw less power. It doesn't have the quick chain adjuster and the easy start feature. I would still want the 18" bar so the total price on this one will be $309..

It might seem trivial but for the extra power and features it seems like spending the extra $100 would be well worth it...

What do you guys think? Also should I be looking at the Husqvarna's for comparison sake?

bellero
04-28-2012, 05:42 PM
You can't go wrong with either Stihl or Husqvarna. My Husky has been serving me well for 20+ years, not a single issue so far other than regular maintenance.

Smokechecker
04-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Got a Husq 345 E-Tech with 18" bar and never so much as a hiccup. As much as I'm suppose to promote all Husqvarna products (we sell and service them) Stay away from the 235. It's more of a trimmer than a saw. 440 Rancher is a good saw but lacks an easy start valve.

jwirecom109
04-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I've used some Husq in the past, great machines

jonanddad
04-28-2012, 07:01 PM
My dad won a Stihl 170 it works great for trimming things around the yard

50calshooter
04-28-2012, 07:31 PM
So for the models I'm looking at in Stihl, what's the comparable model in Husqvarna?

PhatKD
04-28-2012, 08:08 PM
I got a Stihl easy start last year. The easy start actually pissed me off after a while. And then it got stolen out of the back of my truck. Now I have a regular Stihl...I like it way better. I guess I'm just old school

50calshooter
04-29-2012, 12:04 AM
I looked at the huskys, I think I like the Stihl better... That quick chain adjust feature is really nice. I think I'm guna go Stihl.

BrotherRockeye
04-29-2012, 12:20 AM
I've been heating with wood forever so I never stop cutting.
Can't go wrong with a Stihl. I have 2 right now and my 024 has been going strong 25+ years with just a carb kit and 2 fuel lines.
I've cut with quite a few Huskies but have never owned one...just never took a liking to them although lots of folks swear by them. Guess I fixed too many to grow fond.
All that said,my ol' Jonserud gets the call most times these days

Brad
04-29-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm a Husky guy all the way. I have run echo (the nicest saw), Homelite, Johnsred, Sthil, even a Shindowa (one of the worst saws ever made) I have even tried a John Deer, Pound for pound Husky has more power and chain speed than a sthil. At work we have Sthil's and Huskys, the Sthils never go out unless we have no other choice. I find Husky is a tougher saw, starts better, has better balance.

Your price range suggests you are looking at a non professional saw. Non pro saws of all types are not as tough, they tend to have less power and break more often. The local dealer told me non pro saws are ment to cut for one to two tanks of gas not 8-9 hours a day.

All things aside what ever you buy get a set of cutting pants or chaps, boots and helmet.

superbrad
04-29-2012, 04:59 AM
I have both.... My Stihl is just the MS170... it's a limbing saw great for branch trimming and small trees.... Husky are also good....

If you prefer the feel of the STihl you can't go wrong but I suggest you pay the extra 100.... you'll get a beefier model with a bit more power.....

pharaoh2
04-29-2012, 07:17 AM
I bow to you all, I only own a Poulan. :(

Meh I can't complain, it's served me well. One day I'll upgrade though.

BrotherRockeye
04-29-2012, 10:54 AM
hehe...Homelite...I had one years ago.
It would have made a great anchor it was so heavy.
Now my old Sachs Dolmar...that's a saw!

Redhouse
04-29-2012, 11:35 AM
All things aside what ever you buy get a set of cutting pants or chaps, boots and helmet.

There was a post over on CGN a few weeks back showing WHY! A guy's Kevlar chainsaw pants were chewed up just below the groin, he had great pics - if the saw had hit flesh, he'd have bled out in no time at all. It was from a simple unexpected kickback of the saw, that could happen any time to anyone.

50calshooter
04-29-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm a Husky guy all the way. I have run echo (the nicest saw), Homelite, Johnsred, Sthil, even a Shindowa (one of the worst saws ever made) I have even tried a John Deer, Pound for pound Husky has more power and chain speed than a sthil. At work we have Sthil's and Huskys, the Sthils never go out unless we have no other choice. I find Husky is a tougher saw, starts better, has better balance.

Your price range suggests you are looking at a non professional saw. Non pro saws of all types are not as tough, they tend to have less power and break more often. The local dealer told me non pro saws are ment to cut for one to two tanks of gas not 8-9 hours a day.

After doing some more reading, I'm considering spending the extra 180 and going with a professional model, the 261. It's the first model in the forestry line, more power and hopefully built to last.

The reason I'm mulling this over is I only want to buy one saw that will at least last me 10 years plus. My theory, spend a little more now, save a lot later. This saw will definitely be a commitment with firewood for two homes, camping/hunting, and an ATV companion she will see plenty of use.

I guess I'll look at the 261 on Monday and go from there.

BTW, I was considering pants, any suggestions? Will the Stihl brand chaps do the trick? What about foot protection?

FlyingHigh
04-29-2012, 12:45 PM
i say go as big and powerful as you can afford. that way you'll never be lacking power when need it and wishing you'd gone for the next step up. i've used both Stihl and Husqvarna, and my preference is Stihl. Mainly because i've used more of them and they feel better to me. I never had a problem with either of them. it's really a Ford vs. Chevy type argument.

I wouldn't cheap out on chaps. Good thick leather and quality hardware on them will pay off in the long run.

JustBen
04-29-2012, 12:50 PM
it's really a Ford vs. Chevy type argument

I wouldn't cheap out on chaps. Good thick leather and quality hardware on them will pay off in the long run.

This!

Also, spend the bucks on the safety gear. Its always worth it.

50calshooter
04-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Another question for you fellas...

Now regardless of model I go with I'm upgrading to the 18" bar for sure. But, if I go with the 261, I can go as long as 20. So seeing as there's no cost difference at time of purchase should I upgrade to the 20" bar?

Pros and Cons?

Also I'm 6'2" 225 and I do get fatigued quickly in my lower back when working that's why I'm thinking the 20 may help not only for a safe sturdy stance but also extend my reach so I'm not bent over as far when bucking wood...

Thoughts?

This makes me giggle... It's glorious... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxMPgN_2Mvs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

superbrad
04-29-2012, 03:44 PM
The longer your bar the longer your chain and the more juice it takes to run your saw.... In other words, more cc is required to move a 20 inch bar at the same speed as an 18 inch bar.... The saw you are looking at can handle the 20 for sure... but do you need it?... also, remember that you have to work with this thing... so ask yourself if the extra bulk / weight is worth it....

My Husky has a 20 inch bar... that is why I bought my STIHL MS170 with the 16 for limbing.... a big saw with a 20 inch bar gets heavy when you are clearing brush all day and have to use it for all the small nimble jobs also.....

50calshooter
04-29-2012, 04:25 PM
The longer your bar the longer your chain and the more juice it takes to run your saw.... In other words, more cc is required to move a 20 inch bar at the same speed as an 18 inch bar.... The saw you are looking at can handle the 20 for sure... but do you need it?... also, remember that you have to work with this thing... so ask yourself if the extra bulk / weight is worth it....

My Husky has a 20 inch bar... that is why I bought my STIHL MS170 with the 16 for limbing.... a big saw with a 20 inch bar gets heavy when you are clearing brush all day and have to use it for all the small nimble jobs also.....

Thanks for the insights Brad, something to think about for sure...

50calshooter
04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Brad what model is your husky?

superbrad
04-29-2012, 06:17 PM
It's old school.... 570.....

50calshooter
04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
It's old school.... 570.....

That's a beast, lol 67cc's? Is it for work or just for personal use?

Also do you think the 261 will handle the 20" bar ok? 50cc's and 2.8kW .....

superbrad
04-29-2012, 07:45 PM
You are good if that is what you choose.... I bought my 570 at auction....lol... and yeah.... for what I do with it it is like cutting paper with an axe...lol....

As long as you are willing to handle the weight of the saw and the 20 inch bar all day and manouevre it to cut off all the small crap go nuts....

superbrad
04-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Have you looked at the MS290?... the "farm boss".... I habve heard good things...

50calshooter
04-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Have you looked at the MS290?... the "farm boss".... I habve heard good things...

No, but I will definitely pick one up and handle it before I buy....

As far as weight is concerned I told the old man what I was buying and he said he would pick up a small ms170 for me if I buck up his firewood for him from now on, lol I said sweet deal! lol

BrotherRockeye
04-29-2012, 08:37 PM
You can't go wrong with the "buck for a limber" deal.
If you are cutting wood to feed a heating fire or two it's nice to have a saw for each job
I use my Stihl 024 for the light jobs because it's...light, and my Jonserud 670 Champ for the real cutting.
Go with the longer bar,your back will thank you later. Weight is good when cutting to stove length...weight and gravity.

50calshooter
04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Well fellas,

I pulled the trigger, came home today a proud new owner of an MS261. It came with an 18" bar and I paid the $10 upgrade charge to get the 20" bar and chain. The good thing is the sales rep let me keep the 18" setup as well, so I got basically two setups for 10 bucks, lol...

It feels all kinds of right and boy does this thing hum, she's guna eat anything and everything, lol

Thanks for all the help with this guys!

superbrad
04-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Congrats bud.... that is a nice saw.... these damn things are so addictive... there are actually chainsaw forums out there!

superbrad
04-30-2012, 06:43 PM
OH.. and cash in on that 170... I love mine.... :)

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
The Husky's vibrate less b/c the frames are connected to the handle via springs, whereas the Stihls are connected directly. Otherwise both great machines.

fogducker
04-30-2012, 07:10 PM
HI.....:)

my name is Don...:D

and im am a stihl nut :p

i live in a apartment in the GTA...:o
but im a stihl nut..
i have a ms 360 pro/ms 260 pro/and a little ms 180:cool:

FlyingHigh
04-30-2012, 07:29 PM
pics 50, pics!!!

:pics:

50calshooter
04-30-2012, 07:58 PM
OH.. and cash in on that 170... I love mine.... :)

Ya I think I'm going to next month before the sale ends, they're $199 right now..

HI.....:)

my name is Don...:D

and im am a stihl nut :p

i live in a apartment in the GTA...:o
but im a stihl nut..
i have a ms 360 pro/ms 260 pro/and a little ms 180:cool:

Hahaha that's awesome!

pics 50, pics!!!

:pics:

I will tomorrow, I'll take some with the 20" bar...

RobSmith
04-30-2012, 08:01 PM
http://media.photobucket.com/image/chain%20SAW%20machine%20gun/djmillerbucket/oddsnends2/2009shotshow-01162009-006.jpg

Now THAT is a chainsaw :shoot:

blacksmithden
04-30-2012, 10:08 PM
i say go as big and powerful as you can afford. that way you'll never be lacking power when need it and wishing you'd gone for the next step up. i've used both Stihl and Husqvarna, and my preference is Stihl. Mainly because i've used more of them and they feel better to me. I never had a problem with either of them. it's really a Ford vs. Chevy type argument.

It's fun to be the cool kid on the block with the biggest and baddest saw.....that is until you're standing on the top rung of a 22 ft extension ladder, trying to hold the saw straight out at arms length to cut off a limb. LOL. Ask me how I know. :)

I've got a Husky 445E and just love the thing. It's got 8 - 10 cords behind it now...plus whatever horrific things my neighbor did to it when he borrowed it...oh yea..I lent it to a buddy who did at least a truck load. Anyway...I love the thing. It's the best saw I've ever owned. That being said, I've never owned a Stihl. Plenty of power...18" bar.....good on gas....the oiler actually stays working....what's vibration ?....just an all around good saw.

50calshooter
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey Den, someone once told me a saw is like a wife, you don't lend them out cause they will just come back screwed...

50calshooter
05-01-2012, 09:04 PM
All right guys, I got a chance to test drive her with the 20" bar today on some pallets... This thing rips! It pulls so hard it's freaking awesome... I'm mildly attracted to this thing even though it's an inanimate object... lol

Oh if you guys know anyone that wants or needs a brand new 18" bar and brand new carbide chain I got them and wouldn't mind getting rid of them, the 20" setup is here to stay..lol

Sorry, crappy iPhone pictures...

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Stihl/ae76e7af.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Stihl/44e85c72.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Stihl/658669dc.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Stihl/5048fb21.jpg
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Stihl/0cba9b4c.jpg

Is it too cliche to say this saw is family? Well it's true.

FlyingHigh
05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
it's so sexy....i love it. too clean though. you need a dirty saw. a dirty saw i say. giggity giggity gigg..wait what?

BrotherRockeye
05-01-2012, 11:45 PM
beauty chip maker 50!

knock the rakers back and it'll drag you down a 2x10 :D

jonanddad
05-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Nice pics! and nice saw!

fogducker
05-02-2012, 04:12 AM
Oh if you guys know anyone that wants or needs a brand new 18" bar and brand new carbide chain I got them and wouldn't mind getting rid of them

well since your just tossing these out....let me know when and what dumpster i have to dive in:Beer time:

50calshooter
05-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Hahahaha ^^^

fogducker
05-02-2012, 08:29 PM
speaking of chainsaws...what do yous use for gas/oil in them..regular or super gas/what oil?

superbrad
05-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Put it up on Kijiji 50... folks with a =n upgradeable 16 inch model will be all over it.... make sure you use the word "STIHL" in the title... it'll go quick if your price is fair... Otherwise, keep 'em handy ... you never know when you snap a chain or bend a bar and need a spare...

fogducker
05-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Put it up on Kijiji 50... folks with a =n upgradeable 16 inch model will be all over it.... make sure you use the word "STIHL" in the title... it'll go quick if your price is fair... Otherwise, keep 'em handy ... you never know when you snap a chain or bend a bar and need a spare...

hey GMYOB:Bang head::mad:...J/K of course:Beer time:

jdman
05-03-2012, 02:46 AM
250-c pfft.... real men run an 066 with a 36 inch bar. :p

BrotherRockeye
05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
speaking of chainsaws...what do yous use for gas/oil in them..regular or super gas/what oil?

I use premium gas in all my small engines from the quads/snowmachines on down. Regular gas has a shelf life of about 3 hours these days...
same with 2 stroke oil...stay away from the low grade stuff.
quality combustibles are cheaper than parts in the long run.

50calshooter
05-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Yup I was told to use premium gas, the guy told me regular gas burns hotter and is very hard on plastics and such. I took it with a grain of salt, but I am a believer in using premium gas in all my two & four stroke motors. As far as oil, I bought the small 6 pack of Stihl brand oil and got an extra year warranty because of that.... Works for me.