PDA

View Full Version : Loaded and Powerful Questions

hercster
04-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Watching Ms. Faith destroy Chairwoman Chow gave me an idea to help all of us put people like that on the spot. I suggest that we setup a list of pointed questions to be used in written communication but particularly when we can get an anti like Ms. Chow in a public forum. Ms. Faith's first question was " Do I threaten you or make you uncomfortable? ". That was deadly and a no win for Chow.

So let's put together a list for all of us to access when we need a spear in the fight. I'll start:

-If gun bans are effective in combating violence, how do you explain the rate of violence and homicide in Chicago and Washington DC?

-If greater ownership of firearms by law-abiding citizens results in more crime and violence including homicides, how do you explain the very low statistics in states like Utah and countries like Switzerland that have a very high per-capita level of civilian gun ownership?

-If sporting firearms like the AR-15 are so dangerous to public safety, how do you explain the very low usage of this kind of firearm in crime and particularly homicide situations?

-If gun control is the answer to violent crime, how do you explain the skyrocketing violent crime rate in the UK where firearms are to close being totally banned?

-If banning and outlawing various behaviors on the part of the public is attractive to you, how do you explain the dismal failure of The Prohibition in the US during the 20's and 30's?...... Didn't the Prohibition actually result in the growth of organised crime and the US Mafia? ......Has outlawing prostitution ever worked over the centuries?

Feel free to edit and correct my efforts and simply add your own "loaded questions to the community list.

Gord

Mark-II
04-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Ask her how that war on drugs is coming...

It also makes my head hurt when progressives think that banning guns is an effective way to deal with "gun crime" while in the next breath support legalizing pot to deal with the criminal drug profiteers.

So much for logic..

Rory McCanuck
04-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Chairman Chow..."I've seen 15 year olds that are being shot."
* "Name two that were shot with a legally owned firearm."

hercster
04-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Good stuff!!!

Loaded and powerful questions are often used in pairs. This way we can make it a "No Win" despite the response. For example:

Are you in favour of the recent move to legalize prostitution?

Yes---- Then you must agree that banning the activity for centuries hasn't worked?

No---- Then how do you explain how a continued ban will eliminate the practice? Can you point out a jurisdiction where banning prostitution has been effective?

This gives you a chance at controlling the "dance".

webster
04-11-2014, 07:05 PM
Ask her how that war on drugs is coming...

It also makes my head hurt when progressives think that banning guns is an effective way to deal with "gun crime" while in the next breath support legalizing pot to deal with the criminal drug profiteers.

So much for logic..

:owned: Nice!

Waterloomike
04-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Ask her to name a single ban that has ever worked.

hercster
04-11-2014, 08:26 PM
What I meant for this list of questions was not that they be asked specifically for Ms. Chow but rather that we could build an inventory of questions to be used in our letters or in face-to-face contacts with politicians and others. I thought the list could be a tool for all of us as needed.

frankthedog
04-11-2014, 11:27 PM
When speaking about gun control laws, already in place or proposed...

" Are these gun control laws targeted towards law-abiding citizens, or criminals ? "

They should say criminals hopefully at this point...

" How do we plan on ensuring that criminals will adhere to the stricter gun laws ? "

This is the point they either realize they are owned and be quiet, or throw a tantrum...

Waterloomike
04-12-2014, 03:26 AM
What I meant for this list of questions was not that they be asked specifically for Ms. Chow but rather that we could build an inventory of questions to be used in our letters or in face-to-face contacts with politicians and others. I thought the list could be a tool for all of us as needed.

Of course.

It can be very useful. Keep it going.

CF_Smith
04-13-2014, 07:31 AM
Ask if she is familiar with the alcohol prohibition and if so, ever heard of the rum running and how ineffective the prohibition was. Then remind her why the prohibition was lifted.

bettercallsaul
04-13-2014, 12:14 PM
It's amazing that leftist progressives can be for legalizing prostitution & drugs because "laws against these things don't work", and they are right. The laws don't work. Which begs the question, if they know they don't work, why do they continue to believe gun control laws work?

It's either a severe lack of knowledge on the subject of gun control, which is scary considering these people run our country, or else it's something more sinister. I refuse to believe an idiot like Chow has any kind of sinister ulterior motives for a handgun ban, so the only possible conclusion is that she is pandering to a base that might be dumb enough to believe a handgun ban would prevent thugs in downtown Toronto from killing each other.

We should target her base, not Mrs. Chow herself. If we could convince her political base that she is only pandering to them, and that by doing so, Mrs. Chow is actually insulting their intelligence, we might change some minds.

Waterloomike
04-13-2014, 12:30 PM
It's amazing that leftist progressives can be for legalizing prostitution & drugs because "laws against these things don't work", and they are right. The laws don't work. Which begs the question, if they know they don't work, why do they continue to believe gun control laws work?

It's either a severe lack of knowledge on the subject of gun control, which is scary considering these people run our country, or else it's something more sinister. I refuse to believe an idiot like Chow has any kind of sinister ulterior motives for a handgun ban, so the only possible conclusion is that she is pandering to a base that might be dumb enough to believe a handgun ban would prevent thugs in downtown Toronto from killing each other.

We should target her base, not Mrs. Chow herself. If we could convince her political base that she is only pandering to them, and that by doing so, Mrs. Chow is actually insulting their intelligence, we might change some minds.

If they listen to chow, they're most likely more stupid than chow. But they will be cling to their gut feelings and their favourite voice.

In other words, it's like appealing to a fence post.

Rory McCanuck
04-13-2014, 12:46 PM
I disagree, W-Mike.
If you hit a fencepost on the head hard enough, it'll do what you want.
And, it'll be of some use.

hercster
04-13-2014, 01:01 PM
I think we are making a mistake by thinking all of these folks are stupid. Many of these people are thoroughly convinced they are right both technically and morally. A lot of positions are taken from a base of emotional rightness. People need to get educated but firmly entrenched beliefs no matter how incorrect, are difficult to change. Prior to 2008, I was mildly anti gun. I didn't know why, I just knew if felt right to me. I was much more likely to accept anti opinions and reject the pro arguments. I believe that a lot depends on who is carrying the message and how it's being presented. The rantings of Ted Nugent and his behaviours still turn me off.

Now clearly I've made a huge U turn since then. I have listened (read) many thousands of posts on these forums over the years. My heart and gut still doesn't readily accept shrill, prejudicial and cynical rantings. That's why I tend to avoid many forums except for pure firearms related threads and posts. To me, people like Nugent and others including the guys in the US that walk down main street with a shouldered AK often do the opposite of what they purport to be supporting. People who might otherwise be persuaded simply conclude they are nut cases and turn off their minds. I often say that we are good people with an excellent product. We can do ourselves a real disservice by insulting the people we would like to convince.

Waterloomike
04-13-2014, 02:13 PM
I disagree, W-Mike.
If you hit a fencepost on the head hard enough, it'll do what you want.
And, it'll be of some use.

Good point.

Waterloomike
04-13-2014, 02:19 PM
A lot of positions are taken from a base of emotional rightness.

The anti gun argument is purely emotional.

How do you argue with someone's feelings?

Ok, let's say they're not all stupid.

If they assume an emotional argument, void of logic, at best they are using a stupid argument. Call it flawed, if calling them stupid is politically incorrect.

However, the ones that have the strongest feelings, will be the ones that will call you names. such as redneck, moron, hillbilly, etc. on and on ad infinitum.

Then they will ask you over to fix their computer.

CLW .45
06-21-2014, 02:00 PM
How much comfort will your loved ones receive, from the knowledge that the officers who investigate your death, at the hands of an armed killer, carry handguns to protect their lives, while you had only your bare hands?

Forbes/Hutton
06-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Ask her to name a single ban that has ever worked.

JT has banned the pro-lifers from the LPC. Time will tell, but I think this one might work.

Steveo9mm
06-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Ask the anti what the gun laws are for gun owners. Betcha they have no clue what we go through.

Waterloomike
06-22-2014, 04:45 AM
JT has banned the pro-lifers from the LPC. Time will tell, but I think this one might work.

He can ban them from voting differently while a so called liberal, but he can't ban thought. (although he clearly is against thought!;))

Mad Hatter
06-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Hercster, may I re-post your original post over on CGOA to get it going as it seems to have stalled here and gone off the rails with discussion and no more questions being offered?

hercster
06-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Be my guest. I think the list could serve a useful purpose. The better prepared we are to challenge people with carefully crafted questions the more effective we'll be in confrontations of various sorts.

Mad Hatter
06-23-2014, 10:47 PM
Done! Thank you. I'll post the responses back here as they come in.

Mad Hatter
06-29-2014, 11:20 PM
Well Hercster. All it succeeded in doing was producing non-productive chit chat and went right off the rails. Just as it did here. No comment...