PDA

View Full Version : LT ATT No Longer Valid For Trips to Gunsmith Upon Renewal

Mad Hatter
04-15-2014, 10:21 PM
This was recently posted on the Regina Gun Safety & Licensing site:

"Please be advised, there has been a policy change at the RCMP: Restricted gun owners in Canada who have valid Long-Term Authorization to Transport papers should notice that upon their renewal, gunsmith trips are no longer recognized as valid reasons for LT-ATT transport. Individuals seeking transport to a gunsmith should contact the Canadian Firearms Program for a Short-Term ATT. Want to make sure you're following the rules correctly? Take one of our Firearms Safety Courses at www.rgsl.ca/register-online/ to get your federal gun license this Spring!"

So I queried them on their source and the validity of the information and received the following response:

Hi Mad Hatter, thanks for the email.

We received verbal confirmation from the CFP on the matter. Usually there is an official bulletin, but for this there may not actually be one. We've also heard reports of shooters in various provinces including Saskatchewan, Alberta, B.C. and Ontario saying that this past week they've gotten the new ATTs without the gunsmith qualifier.

In our verbal conversation with the CFP, they indicated that the change was happening "because people have been using going to a gunsmith as an excuse for transport". When we asked for a bulletin or a written source, they declined to provide one, saying it was a policy change on the wording of the ATTs that didn't require an update since everyone "should be informed" of that when they renew their ATTs. They noted that current ATTs are still valid for gunsmith transport until they are renewed.

Sorry I can't give you a written source on this one , but we do have a lot of people now saying their ATTs are being altered upon renewal as well as the CFP telling us (and others) over the phone that their new ATTs don't have the gunsmith condition -- an examination of our new LT-ATT does show that this is the case. It's really weird that there isn't an RCMP bulletin on the matter.

Kindly,
Peter Quesnel
Regina Gun Safety & Licensing

Prairie Dog
04-16-2014, 12:15 AM
My LTATT was issued in September and says approved ranges, border crossings and gunsmiths withing the province of Alberta.

Forbes/Hutton
04-16-2014, 01:47 AM
Swamp the system with requests. Pick a "take-your-gun-to-the-gunsmith-day" and everyone request a ST-ATT on that date.

Do it a couple of times and they'll switch back just to simplify their own lives.

awndray
04-16-2014, 05:38 AM
From another thead:

When you get your club membership and then your ATT, it should indicate that it's good for all approved ranges. At least, that's what mine says. I remember a time when people used to have it indicate that it was good to travel to any gunsmith, but apparently this stipulation is no longer added to the ATT. I've never had it on mine. When selling, you have to call for the transfer and you get the ATT for that purpose at the same time.

Claidemore
04-16-2014, 07:27 AM
Sheesh, now we have to use going to the range as an 'excuse' to transport? How can a legitimate use, ie taking your gun to a gunsmith, be an 'excuse'?
Regardless, this is another example of the RCMP/CFOs re-writing laws at a whim and avoiding disclosure of their changes.

Next change will be to only allow trips to the range on rainy, odd numbered Thursdays in months that have only 28 or less days.

6MT
04-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Good luck with the swamping thing.

speedloader
04-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Guys, I just got a new att in the mail which was odd as mine was good to 2018
and yes they have omitted the gunsmith part everything else the same

RELOAD
04-16-2014, 11:36 AM
when i asked the cfo why my att did not have the gunsmith clause i was told i did not have that PRIVILEGE.

Mad Hatter
04-16-2014, 12:00 PM
when i asked the cfo why my att did not have the gunsmith clause i was told i did not have that PRIVILEGE.

Everything in Canada is a privilege. We don't have rights.

Steveo9mm
04-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Things keep getting worse. Wtf. Next they will get rid of the LTATT altogether. Call in just to goto the range.

speedloader
04-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Everything in Canada is a privilege. We don't have rights.
x2 and how is it a privilege to keep your firearm operating properly and avoid a potential unsafe situation

GeoTrekr
04-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Guys, I just got a new att in the mail which was odd as mine was good to 2018
and yes they have omitted the gunsmith part everything else the same

Same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. Not only has there been a 'policy change' for the issuance of new ATTs, they're proactively replacing the old ones with replacements. Comparison photos of a couple pages of my old and new ATT:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z2/geotrekr/035b8edb6dbb7be071c53f81719dad1d_zps2d0a5855.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z2/geotrekr/1fc96ec0948a3fd1b208efc3964b9463_zps8cfa36fb.jpg

The sooner the RCMP can be taken off the "Canadian Firearms Program", the better. High River is just an extension of their systemic hatred for the Canadian gun owner.

Steveo9mm
04-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Rcmp strike again. Start writing letters. Next it will be border crossings and the why do you even need a restricted? Then come the non restricted. And viola... Your using an iphone app to simulate the good old days.

Claidemore
04-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Had a look at a brand new ATT in British Columbia yesterday. It included the trip to a gunsmith provision. Apparently, as usual, this is specific to only certain CFOs in certain provinces.
One would think that those CFOs should be held liable in the case of a mishap with a restricted firearm that could otherwise have made a quick trip to a gunsmith for a function and reliability check.

Grizz
04-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Time for more letters!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Candychikita
04-17-2014, 09:36 AM
I found this very strange, as I got a whackload of ATTs for firearms I don't even own anymore...I'll have to take a look at the fine print on them when I have a chance.

The ATTs were out of the blue, but I just assumed they were slow...as I did move...coming up to two years ago now...

awndray
04-17-2014, 09:40 AM
ATTs for specific firearms?

speedloader
04-17-2014, 09:48 AM
yes letter time again guys!!! lets Bombard em

heres the link to find your member of Parliaments contact info
by simply typing in your postal code

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilations/HouseOfCommons/MemberByPostalCode.aspx?Menu=HOC

Candychikita
04-17-2014, 10:48 AM

Yes. Ones I don't own any longer, with membership at a range I no longer frequent listed I'm fairly certain. They might have been old ST-ATTs, i'm not sure. I'll have to check when I am home.

There is a change in text here as well about needing another ATT to take to a gunsmith for consignment.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/target_cible-eng.htm

Also slightly alarming is the part in there about contacting a range to see if you have used your restricteds at the range...within the last 5 years...

Take a look at this - under record keeping for a range.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-212/page-4.html#h-16

I'm up for renewal at some point in the near future. Looks like I'm going to have to start going to a range and using my restricteds again just in case heh.

awndray
04-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Hmm, interesting. Especially the guest portion.

Fusilier
04-17-2014, 01:04 PM

Yep. In Nova Scotia our restricted firearms are listed one by one by serial number on out ATT. Every time I buy a new one, they issue a new ATT, sometimes before the firearm arrives in the mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewth
04-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Yep. In Nova Scotia our restricted firearms are listed one by one by serial number on out ATT. Every time I buy a new one, they issue a new ATT, sometimes before the firearm arrives in the mail.

Hum, I knew this about Nova Scotia, but in BC we haven't succumbed to this yet....at least, I haven't....

Annnnd I never understood the separate ATT thing. Meaningless paperwork, with free potential legal trap. Regi per gun and ATT per gun? Makework program, thy name is CFC.

speedloader
04-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Makework program, thy name is CFC.
well said strewth,too bad we have to pay for it
doesn't stop criminals from getting their firearms where they need to go
just us

Candychikita
04-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Hum, I knew this about Nova Scotia, but in BC we haven't succumbed to this yet....at least, I haven't....

I travel a lot with my firearms. The ones in question might not be BC ATTs, but at the time I received them I didn't have any restricteds at all in my possession, nor was a member of a range, which is one of the requirements for having an ATT. I had updated my PAL and other documentation a good 2 years ago and got everything I needed incredibly promptly (I have no complaints with the CFO's service speed at all)

Now I'm very curious about these uninvited, unanticipated documents. So much for going directly to my massage appointment.

Strewth
04-17-2014, 02:34 PM
^Curiouser and curioser. Sounds like maybe a screw up on their part, then? Or perhaps the bi-centurial Pre-Easter Free ex-ATT Day?

Claidemore
04-29-2014, 09:46 PM
Just had a look at a British Columbia long term Att that they 're-printed' for a guy while he was getting a short term for a restricted purchase. Trips to the gunsmith were removed.

This is a serious problem that deserves much more attention. This thread should be bumped every day with stories about outraged ATT holders who have lost the ease of access to a gunsmith to maintain their firearms and ensure they are functioning safely.

This is death by a thousand cuts, paper cuts in this case.

Mad Hatter
04-29-2014, 10:38 PM
We should set up a national "Call In For A Trip To The Gunsmith ATT Day" where every RPAL holder in Canada calls in for one.

Foxer
04-29-2014, 10:53 PM
This whole 'att' thing was something the gun orgs were working on that had some promise for a while, but it seemed to get dropped.

The best thing to do is complain to the gov't. The more they see this kind of 'nuscince' crap from the RCMP, the more they're going to want to cut them out of the picture entirely.

I'm a little surprised we're not seeing more from our orgs on this now - it's kind of a good time and opportunity to pressure for changes to the whole att system.

Mad Hatter
04-29-2014, 11:35 PM
This whole 'att' thing was something the gun orgs were working on that had some promise for a while, but it seemed to get dropped.

The best thing to do is complain to the gov't. The more they see this kind of 'nuscince' crap from the RCMP, the more they're going to want to cut them out of the picture entirely.

I'm a little surprised we're not seeing more from our orgs on this now - it's kind of a good time and opportunity to pressure for changes to the whole att system.

:agree:

speedloader
04-30-2014, 06:02 AM
They are streamlining the system,so all provinces will have the same LATT'S
one of the guys on CGN was told yesterday by his CFO
yes its time to write your MP asking why the waste of tax Dollars on a system that does nothing
in the first place

Claidemore
05-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Don't be surprised when you purchase a new restricted firearm, and they send you the short term ATT to take it from the seller to your home, if they also generously send you a 'new' 'fresh' long term ATT.
Seems counterproductive to be 2 months or more behind on simple renewals of PALS, but taking the time to 'renew' long term ATTS that are not due for renewal.

Steveo9mm
05-04-2014, 09:08 AM
We should set up a national "Call In For A Trip To The Gunsmith ATT Day" where every RPAL holder in Canada calls in for one.

Lol and then we mail them to back after not using them.

speedloader
05-04-2014, 11:11 AM
Don't be surprised when you purchase a new restricted firearm, and they send you the short term ATT to take it from the seller to your home, if they also generously send you a 'new' 'fresh' long term ATT.
Seems counterproductive to be 2 months or more behind on simple renewals of PALS, but taking the time to 'renew' long term ATTS that are not due for renewal.
good point, makes no sense at all