PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 Gould Express Cast bullet??

Goshawk
04-20-2014, 01:24 PM
No experience with cast or 45-70 here but my new GBL will be here soon and have been doing some reading about reloading cast for 45-70. I came upon this bullet: Lyman #457122 330 grain Gould Express Hollow Point. Seems to be quite some history with this bullet in the black powder days and it was supposed to be a good "big game" bullet at black powder velocities. I am wondering if anyone has any real experience with this bullet. Thanks, Goshawk

Edenchef
04-20-2014, 02:00 PM
I have no personal experience with this bullet, but what will you be driving it with...? Heathen smokeless or Holy Black? What will you be hunting? At what range? I have a couple loading manuals and I'd be happy look up some data for you.

Cheers!

Rory McCanuck
04-20-2014, 02:31 PM
Looking at it here: http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details-rifles.php?entryID=72
It's a plain base, so you won't want to drive it fast with smokeless.
With black powder or plinking level loads, it looks like it should work well.

M.T. Chambers
04-20-2014, 03:54 PM
It ruined the hind end of a deer that was going away, used the Gould bullet, cast soft, and 72grs. Swiss 1 1/2 black powder, I'd only use the big hollowpoints on broadside lung shots but that's not always possible.

Goshawk
04-20-2014, 04:50 PM
I was thinking 1200-1400 fps easy to shoot loads that I could also shoot the odd deer or backyard black bear with. Mostly just reading up on the 45-70 for fun and came across this bullet. Seems like it had a pretty good rep back in the day but if its a real meat wrecker I don't want to use it. Anyone else??

M.T. Chambers
04-21-2014, 01:18 PM
It is a classic old mold but hard to cast with and painfully slow, one at a time and a requirement to keep the HP pin hot between castings, I have newer molds from MP in Slovenia which cast 2 or 4 at a time and can do a very large Hp or swap out the pins and do flat points. I have them in both plain base and Gas check including a convincing 500grn. big hollowpoint for .50 caliber sharps rifles, which are my favorite. Folks just getting into casting would be wise to avoid the Hollow point molds at first.....Ben

Goshawk
04-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Good advice M.T. I think I'll take it. Wasn't really thinking of casting my own, my bowbuilding keeps me busy enough. I am just kind of excited about getting my first 45-70 and have been reading up on the rifle and its history. Seems to be quite the grand old cartridge and I am enjoying reading about it. Of course all that reading brings up questions. Thank all of you for your answers. Goshawk