PDA

View Full Version : Gutting Fish ...Later?

Candychikita
04-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Question. How long do I have to gut a fish after I bonk it?

I have a fishing spot I'm going to try about 5 mins away from my work...but I doubt they would be pleased if I came in from my lunch break and gutted my catch in the kitchen sink. Curious if I should gut it after I pack up my picnic lunch/fishing gear or if it would be ok if I just shoved the fish whole in the fridge at work to deal with when I get home? I'd rather not gut my fish in the middle of a park...I make a rather large mess (think of the children)

Thanks

Foxer
04-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Getting the guts out as soon as possible is important. Even if you put the fish in the fridge, it takes a while to cool down. While you would probably be ok, it will affect the taste of the fish and such. There are enzimes in most fish stomachs that can start to work on the fish as soon as it's dead. And bacteria loves fish guts.

I'd take a plastic bag with me and put the fish inside and gut it there. Not that hard to do, and you can tie the bag and toss it in a convenient outdoor garbage bin whenever. A few squirts from a water bottle should clean you and the fish up just fine (especially if it's got a little lemon in the water) so you can go back to work and you can deal with the head and such later.

Or just fillet the little bugger - that way the guts stay inside the fish and you can toss the whole thing and keep just the fillets in some newspaper or the like till you get home.

BrotherRockeye
04-22-2014, 03:46 PM
take newspaper with you when you go fishing. Fast an easy to open it up and pull the guts out then roll the newspaper up, drop it into a plastic shopping bag, tie it and toss it.

edit: shoulda read foxers post first...similar advice different approach... :)

Deuce-deuce
04-22-2014, 03:50 PM
I'll add a third for gut the fish ASAP.

RobSmith
04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
I've never had a problem with it, keep them alive if you can in a bucket of water in the back of your car (assuming the weather isn't ridiculously hot) they should be fine. Otherwise I've never had a problem keeping fish in a cooler full of ice and water and doing the gutting/cleaning/butchering at the end of the day when I got home.

Candychikita
04-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info :D My vehicle gets too hot to keep the fish alive in a bucket and it's a pretty shady area to unroll a window heh. Looks like I'm going to practice this gutting in a bag/newspaper business :D

My current fish gutting/butchering technique looks a little like the "Les Poissons" scene from the Little Mermaid...

http://youtu.be/EcyhVHrmlMU

RobSmith
04-22-2014, 05:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hkt3Q5y84U

Swampdonkey
04-22-2014, 05:55 PM
A few hours won't kill you if you keep it cool. Commercial fishing isn't an instant process and nobody complains.

Forbes/Hutton
04-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Go for it at work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64eVSpmWNoU

FlyingHigh
04-22-2014, 06:19 PM
I'd get the guts out ASAP. Somebody remind me to post a fish cleaning video this season to show the way to clean a trout in less than 2 minutes.

Deuce-deuce
04-22-2014, 07:12 PM
A few hours won't kill you if you keep it cool. Commercial fishing isn't an instant process and nobody complains.

Depends on the fishery. Most boats gut ASAP.

VancouverSkiBum
04-22-2014, 07:16 PM
I just do it on the spot. knife in the butt, blade facing up, all the way to the neck. One finger in by the head, pinch the guts and rip. Then run a spoon or something along the spine inside to remove the blood in there. takes like 30 seconds. :cool1:

FlyingHigh
04-22-2014, 08:18 PM
I just do it on the spot. knife in the butt, blade facing up, all the way to the neck. One finger in by the head, pinch the guts and rip. Then run a spoon or something along the spine inside to remove the blood in there. takes like 30 seconds. :cool1:

Basically this however if you slit the skin under the lower jaw, you can then insert one finger on that, and one into the fish's mouth under the lower jawbone. grip and pull straight back. removes all the guts and the two pectoral fins.

Swampdonkey
04-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Depends on the fishery. Most boats gut ASAP.

True.

tigrr
04-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Are you sure you will go back to work if you start catching fish???? If you remove the entrails and wash them, and then throw them in ice they will keep for days.

Deuce-deuce
04-22-2014, 09:29 PM
True.

Although, I fished tuna and we didn't gut at all. Just cut 'em and face down in a bucket. Then frozen in the round. Apparently they cut 'em with a band saw. Mmmmmmm, tuuuuuuuuuna.
Hali is another fish that's not an instant gut... It all depends. As a general rule I gut right then and there. But if you're jag full and you don't got the time cuz moneys flowing out the scuppers ya do what ya got to do.

Prawn and crab I like to boil then gut. Sometimes I do dunge cracked then cooked, it's more appetizing for people unfamiliar with such barbaric practices.

My bottom line is I gut ASAP. This is true with 99% of the things I kill to eat... I have also pushed the envelope a bit. I'm not dead.

Candychikita
04-23-2014, 10:46 AM
Are you sure you will go back to work if you start catching fish???? If you remove the entrails and wash them, and then throw them in ice they will keep for days.

It's tough, but I manage to drag my carcass in every day despite all my delightful leisure activities. Instead of asking for a raise for the last few years I've asked for more vacation days and longer lunches...a $0.65 wage increase over the year is equal to two additional weeks vacation, and I stay in the same tax bracket. I also catalogue the savings I negotiate for the company with our vendors and ask for 10% of that as "commission", given as vacation time as well.

I'd rather spend my time enjoying life than working. A picnic and fishing in the middle of the day on a work day is living the high life :D

Camo tung
04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
One question; IF you were to gut the fish at your fishing spot, would you still be placing the cleaned fish in the fridge at work anyway? Fish aren't warm blooded the same as we think of deer, etc. Into a cooler at your happy place then into the fridge at work would be fine to protect against spoilage. Wrap it in a wet towel to maintain moisture if it's going to be more than a few hours before you take it home to gut it. Bonus is you can bury the head/guts deep in your rose beds - they will enjoy the fertilizer.

RobSmith
04-23-2014, 11:49 AM
Agreed, I wouldn't bother with on the spot gutting at all, at best I'd cut it's throat and bleed it on the spot but nothing more. As long as they stay cool a couple of hours won't change anything.

One question; IF you were to gut the fish at your fishing spot, would you still be placing the cleaned fish in the fridge at work anyway? Fish aren't warm blooded the same as we think of deer, etc. Into a cooler at your happy place then into the fridge at work would be fine to protect against spoilage. Wrap it in a wet towel to maintain moisture if it's going to be more than a few hours before you take it home to gut it. Bonus is you can bury the head/guts deep in your rose beds - they will enjoy the fertilizer.

BrotherRockeye
04-23-2014, 01:39 PM
I'd rather spend my time enjoying life than working.

that my dear is the model of my life.

but by working, I think of working for others...for pay.

I don't consider any of the jobs I have to do at home work.

I have always been about quality of life, and for me that has never meant money, but time to enjoy life...fishing is one of those things.

Drache
04-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Basically this however if you slit the skin under the lower jaw, you can then insert one finger on that, and one into the fish's mouth under the lower jawbone. grip and pull straight back. removes all the guts and the two pectoral fins.

+1

Stick knife in butt hole, cut up to chin, knife through lower jaw/chin, insert finger in this slot, grab guts, and pull towards butthole. They should come out in one large sloppy piece. Then run thumb nail along spine, then rinse.

Easy as stepping on the wings of a grouse :p

Mil Specs
04-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Clean your fish as you catch them , they will taste better and usually will be firmer if processed right away . We gut and gill our fish as we catch them and then make a shaded pool out of rock or branches near where we are fishing to keep the cleaned fish in the water . Usually we can fish all day and by the time we leave the flesh is still nice and firm if you leave the guts in, the flesh goes soft and you will experience belly burn (when the flesh goes soft and the belly/rib bones pull away from the meat ) the fish is usually fine but will be mushy in consistency when you eat it .

Candychikita
04-24-2014, 10:36 AM
gross. good to know about the consistency.

camo tung - ya, they'd go in the fridge at work until i head home.

Looky
01-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Depends on how hot it is.
Hot, I do them pronto.
Always clean them out in the boat.
Here's a youtube on how to fillet them.
There are others too.

http://youtu.be/WR2duUZkiI0

WR2duUZkiI0

Not sure why it won't open up?

Edward Teach
01-09-2015, 10:42 PM
+1

Stick knife in butt hole, cut up to chin, knife through lower jaw/chin, insert finger in this slot, grab guts, and pull towards butthole. They should come out in one large sloppy piece. Then run thumb nail along spine, then rinse.

Not bad...not bad. My preferred method (for larger fish): Use the knife to cut out the gills first, then knife in butthole. Cut all the way to just behind the throat. Use index finger and thumb to spread the cut open and use the knife to cut just on either side of the esophagus. Then flip the knife to your left hand, stick your right index or middle finger into the esophagus and pull. Flip the knife back to your right hand and use the tip to score along the kidney. Then flip the knife around and use the spoon end (that's why cleaning knives have spoons on them) to clean out the kidney. Total time for 1 salmon: 25-30 sec.

As to the question, it also depends on the fish. Salmon that are bright can be left for a long while.

Edward Teach
01-09-2015, 10:43 PM
gross. good to know about the consistency.

camo tung - ya, they'd go in the fridge at work until i head home.

If nothing else, at least bleed 'em. Stick a knife in just behind the lower part of the gills where there's a fairly large blood vessel.

Candychikita
01-11-2015, 11:50 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHA. Dude, this apparently can backfire when you get a big grouse. I got two drumsticks in my hands and a dumbfounded look on my face. BAHAHAH

This lake has an Asian couple that spend all lunch hour fishing using salmon roe. They openly gut everything right there, regardless of everyone else, so my concern about gutting and learning how to do it discreetly was moot bahahahaha. They are lovely and generous people though, albeit being a little crazy. These fish do not like corn, mini marshmellows and worms...salmon roe and they are practically jumping in your lap :D

Tigrr, you were right. I barely got two casts in each time before I had to pack up and go back. Terribly frustrating when you get a tangle in your line or a damn lilypad. Was still worth it though...this spring will be another great spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RWDa88K53D4

kagia
07-16-2015, 02:57 PM
I've never had a problem with it, keep them alive if you can in a bucket of water in the back of your car
This is very illegal in BC.

As for plastic bags, newspaper, garbage cans, etc, there's no need for that.

Throw all the guts out into the water. It won't go to waste. Good nutrients for everything in the system. Just try to throw it out i to the deeper water.