PDA

View Full Version : insurance

doorman-13
04-23-2014, 09:33 AM
been doing the hobby-home gunsmithing for many a year now, i have just retired due to health issues from my regular job as a industrial locksmith. thinkig about starting the gunsmithing as a part time-full time business but i dont know if i need special permits- liences and as so concerned about insurances....any gunsmith out there that can offer any insight of kind of business

blacksmithden
04-23-2014, 07:39 PM
been doing the hobby-home gunsmithing for many a year now, i have just retired due to health issues from my regular job as a industrial locksmith. thinkig about starting the gunsmithing as a part time-full time business but i dont know if i need special permits- liences and as so concerned about insurances....any gunsmith out there that can offer any insight of kind of business

The CFO of your province carries the power to license gunsmiths. You will need to set up a properly registered business, get your security up to snuff as they WILL inspect you before issuing the license. Depending on where you live, you may have to get a spot zoning to allow you to operate the business from your residence. Although I do a few odds and ends here and there, I'm not a formal gunsmith because I didn't want to go through the hassle. Do not let anyone give/ship restricted stuff to you for work unless you have all the proper licenses in place ! Call up the CFO's office where you live, and ask them what the procedure is to get the license in place. This is likely going to run you at least $400.00

Yea...it's a pain in the can.

Bwgunsmith
04-30-2014, 12:01 PM
ya hes right mine was 550 just dont tell them you have been working without your federal firerarms permit or they will drop on you you can download a package at canadian firearms program web page and look up gunsmith business licencing..

doorman-13
05-01-2014, 07:53 PM
thanks guys for the advise...what i have be doing in the last few years has for me and my friends...no money gain here, but it is my friends that have stated..go for it, your retired now,,go charge a fee. but i know a business liences..insurance and of course the old mighty permits is the way to go.ot the skills..tools and shop to do this all, but my insurance broker will not even go there., know the liability concernin this matterr,but guys i have been an industrial locksmith for 22 years and that liability is even far greater then a gunsmith, must we pay a supieriur price for what we do..???

doorman-13
05-01-2014, 08:06 PM
JUST one note to all.i do have formal training as a gunsmith..AGI and PCIT and upgrade all the time, education is the most importance..ya can shoot the hell outta any thing, but when it don,t fire, whata gonna do. proud of the education and the many years of experience, just hopein to see if i can hlp many others with there guns and have a great time doin it and just maybe make alittle shakkle doin it//

Bwgunsmith
05-04-2014, 10:15 AM
hello if you are not ex military or police you will have to take a course in the usa it runs up to 4 years their is one course in quebec taught in french only the cfo licences all gunsmiths and you have to be licenced and inspected for everything you do as well as paying tax etc. contact cfo for application kit and they will tell you all requirements over phone. then send you a 20 page application kit. good luck we need gunsmiths and questions dont hesitate to ask (p.s. even hobby home gunsmithing for others than yourself is a major offence dont advertise that you are doing that)

I.C.R.
07-03-2014, 03:30 PM
hello if you are not ex military or police you will have to take a course in the usa it runs up to 4 years their is one course in quebec taught in french only the cfo licences all gunsmiths and you have to be licenced and inspected for everything you do as well as paying tax etc. contact cfo for application kit and they will tell you all requirements over phone. then send you a 20 page application kit. good luck we need gunsmiths and questions dont hesitate to ask (p.s. even hobby home gunsmithing for others than yourself is a major offence dont advertise that you are doing that)

I've never heard of that before, as long as you are not a profiting "business" you can do all the work you want for your buddies nonrestricted arms.
I did not run into any requirement for being ex police, military nor was their any request for any "gunsmithing" certificates.
insurance and security and who has access were the primary concerns during my time in the game.
I found that between advertising and insurance...... there's really no good money left in the biz unless you can also machine parts, an such.
but hey, go for it, can be very rewarding ;)

50 B.M.G.
07-04-2014, 08:00 AM

Not sure where you got your intel from, but much of it is not even close to being correct.

To set up as a "gunsmith" 1 needs to apply to the CFO of the province you are setting up shop in.
You will in most cases require a city or municipal business license as 1 of the conditions for a FBL to be issued.
Once you get the FBL more conditions are usually attached, such as storage requirements, security etc.
For basic "gunsmithing" FBL cost last I saw was just over $100.00 but does not allow for the resale of guns or ammo. You can get sales privilege added at slight additional cost of the FBL. Same for repair of restricted.

As for education, in Canada there is ZERO educational requirement for getting a FBL issued.

The biggest problems that many face is depending on location, getting the municipal business license.
Insurance is the other huge hurdle. Setting up shop in the home can have serious repercussions as far as home insurance goes. Getting insurance on a firearms business is stupidly expensive.

Education is available in Quebec for those who speak french. Getting education in the USA which is a 2 year course at most of the better colleges is nearly impossible for Canadians. 1 has to have a ton of money upfront as foreign students are not allowed to work while attending school and all of the 2 years expenses are supposed to be in hand prior to going.
Europe is an option, but in most countries that offer gunsmithing, it is a 4 year apprentice program.

I.C.R.
07-04-2014, 11:26 AM
^^^^^
my experience exactly

Not sure where you got your intel from, but much of it is not even close to being correct.

To set up as a "gunsmith" 1 needs to apply to the CFO of the province you are setting up shop in.
You will in most cases require a city or municipal business license as 1 of the conditions for a FBL to be issued.
Once you get the FBL more conditions are usually attached, such as storage requirements, security etc.
For basic "gunsmithing" FBL cost last I saw was just over $100.00 but does not allow for the resale of guns or ammo. You can get sales privilege added at slight additional cost of the FBL. Same for repair of restricted.

As for education, in Canada there is ZERO educational requirement for getting a FBL issued.

The biggest problems that many face is depending on location, getting the municipal business license.
Insurance is the other huge hurdle. Setting up shop in the home can have serious repercussions as far as home insurance goes. Getting insurance on a firearms business is stupidly expensive.

Education is available in Quebec for those who speak french. Getting education in the USA which is a 2 year course at most of the better colleges is nearly impossible for Canadians. 1 has to have a ton of money upfront as foreign students are not allowed to work while attending school and all of the 2 years expenses are supposed to be in hand prior to going.
Europe is an option, but in most countries that offer gunsmithing, it is a 4 year apprentice program.

awndray
07-04-2014, 12:03 PM
He had more to say here: http://gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?12640-Becoming-a-gunsmith

:pot: