PDA

View Full Version : mountain biking with a gun

zulu
04-23-2014, 09:24 PM
hello just wondering if any of you have tried this. I was thinking about this as I normally have my truck but have often come to the end of a trail. I don't have a quad and wont be buying one anytime soon. To be able park the truck and bike in to a location would be pretty handy. I looked at some ways people have rigged this up, a lot of people use a handle bar rack which is an option I immediately do not like.

what do you guys think?

VancouverSkiBum
04-23-2014, 10:15 PM
I'd do it. wouldnt want it on the bike though with all the rattling and banging, if it had a scope. if no scope, then a mid frame mount would be nice, extending back along the bike. How about a modified shotgun scabbard on your back.

Foxer
04-24-2014, 12:29 AM
How about a modified shotgun scabbard on your back.

Or a gunslinger - http://gunslingercorral.com/holsterproductinfo.asp They work well.

Here's the problem with either of those - you want to avoid any low hanging branches as your rifle barrel likely will stick up over your head. Nasty if you catch something solid.

You can mount a scabbard but i'd be a little worried about your weight being thrown off a bit as it's to one side. You could try it tho, i'm sure someone would have one kicking around you could mount.

Swampdonkey
04-24-2014, 06:33 PM
I've a friend who does it on Vancouver Island where the logging roads are gated. He hunts with a tactical shotgun,and uses a conventional sling, just wears it over his backpack. Island deer are small and he quarters them, debones them, and it all fits in his pack, though he says he walks up hills and takes frequent breaks.

TV-PressPass
04-25-2014, 09:25 AM
I've done it! slings can be messy depending on your gun. Biking with my Tavor was miserable.

But if you have a pannier: I used to pop a folding stock Cz858 in there and bike all over!

zulu
04-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Yes i seen a video of yours where you biked in. I think it was about the tavor, or vortex optics.

zulu
04-25-2014, 04:15 PM
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h347/derk22/downsized_04220016311_zps664b4eb7.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/derk22/media/downsized_04220016311_zps664b4eb7.jpg.html)

I think this looks like a pretty good set up as far as a bush gun goes. If you want to be more careful I couldn't see it being to different to rig up a hard case in this manner.

FightingShiba's
04-26-2014, 02:36 AM
Did anyone watch the video on the Gun Slinger website? I highly recommend it. Product looks like it works well though.

Foxer
04-26-2014, 02:57 AM
Did anyone watch the video on the Gun Slinger website? I highly recommend it. Product looks like it works well though.
I've got a couple they sent me for testing some time ago. If you get a good mold to your gun they work very awesome. They're great about walking you thru that process on the phone. As fate would have it, they're a perfect fit for rem 700's out of the box so i didn't have to mess with it much, but they're easy enough to shape to the gun.

Foxer
04-26-2014, 03:11 AM
Hey- they have a 'bike' video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=25-csaz0cBE

Donny Fenn
05-09-2014, 12:15 AM
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h347/derk22/downsized_04220016311_zps664b4eb7.jpg (http://s1105.photobucket.com/user/derk22/media/downsized_04220016311_zps664b4eb7.jpg.html)

I think this looks like a pretty good set up as far as a bush gun goes. If you want to be more careful I couldn't see it being to different to rig up a hard case in this manner.

Jeez us, you couldn't pay me to ride that piece of crap to the garbage bin where it should be thrown.
If you are going to ride into the bush get a bike that won't strand you half way.

Foxer
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Jeez us, you couldn't pay me to ride that piece of crap to the garbage bin where it should be thrown.
If you are going to ride into the bush get a bike that won't strand you half way.
You're right - the turkey who was riding it looks exhausted!

VancouverSkiBum
05-09-2014, 12:22 AM
Is that a Kona? Whats wrong with it? looks like a nice bike.

normmus
05-09-2014, 09:17 AM
This would be an awesome way to do some early season grouse hunting. I am going to try it this year. I have a backpack style scabbard.

Donny Fenn
05-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Is that a Kona? Whats wrong with it? looks like a nice bike.

no it is not a Kona, where do want to start?
rim brakes, grip ship, plastic levers, "suspension" that isn't, granny seat, seat tube that will bang on the swingarm, probably weighs 50 lbs before the rack on the back (which looks like the best part)...
stay away from department store bikes people

Candychikita
05-09-2014, 05:30 PM
For some of us who aren't in the know it looks like it's ready to go out into the wild - pedals, wheels, brakes, handlebar, seat and a pretty neat gun rack, complete with "exhausted" turkey.

A recommendation on what you think a better bike set up (and why) would go a lot farther than trashing someone's contribution.

superbrad
05-09-2014, 05:51 PM
no it is not a Kona, where do want to start?
rim brakes, grip ship, plastic levers, "suspension" that isn't, granny seat, seat tube that will bang on the swingarm, probably weighs 50 lbs before the rack on the back (which looks like the best part)...
stay away from department store bikes people

I would put my next paycheque down to bet you shop at MEC....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Donny Fenn
05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
I would put my next paycheque down to bet you shop at MEC....

i'll take that bet, communist mofos, anti-small business, predatory business practice, knockoff selling granola eating hippies...

Donny Fenn
05-09-2014, 06:11 PM
i'll take that bet, communist mofos, anti-small business, predatory business practice, knockoff selling granola eating hippies...

the bike shown isn't anyone here's unless they're from Tennessee, and as far as recommending something no sweat, are you just going to use it for hunting exclusively? ride it to work as well, actually ride the bike daily off road, in winter, cross country omly or shuttle lift service?
buying a bike is like buying a gun, you tell me how you're going to use it and i'll narrow it down for you...

superbrad
05-09-2014, 06:22 PM
the bike shown isn't anyone here's unless they're from Tennessee, and as far as recommending something no sweat, are you just going to use it for hunting exclusively? ride it to work as well, actually ride the bike daily off road, in winter, cross country omly or shuttle lift service?
buying a bike is like buying a gun, you tell me how you're going to use it and i'll narrow it down for you...

Some people that hunt aren't willing to spend a whack of money on something they will need to abandon to get into a stand.... sometimes its about getting something that serves a purpose....

You came off pretty agressive...

Donny Fenn
05-09-2014, 06:23 PM
only because of the MEC comment, nothing good comes from that place

VancouverSkiBum
05-09-2014, 07:06 PM
:rolleyes:

zulu
05-09-2014, 08:47 PM

I do really like the rack this bike had and thats what i was focusing on in that pic, although i wouldnt have been able to tell if it was a bad bike.

Im sure theres going to be a lot of different uses for this depending where you are. For me here in alberta id just be useing this to simply get farther down deer trails on crown land. This way it will get me much farther in then id go if walking. Mostly in the summer months as in the winter i snow shoe and have a sled system.

i found another good looking gun rack
http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p680/zulu3030/defiant-bike-gun-rack_project-body_zps8f656f2a.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/zulu3030/media/defiant-bike-gun-rack_project-body_zps8f656f2a.jpg.html)

although i was thinking of ways of carring the gun in this thread i think talking about what kind of bike or suspensions might be very useful to talk about here as well.

Donny Fenn
05-10-2014, 07:03 AM
I was thinking fat bike for hunting as well the Cogburn CB4 is set up from the factory as a hunting bike but you can buy their racks to put on other bikes.
As a "bike" guy I can say you really do get what you pay for, it's not like guns where a $149 SKS can float your boat if that's what you're in to.

The Stig
05-10-2014, 02:28 PM
only because of the MEC comment, nothing good comes from that place

Interesting, I have a number of their products and have been very happy with many of them. I bought a, I think it's called Frost Breaker Parka, a while back, around $150. Best $150 I ever spent. Very warm, and lasted longer than a much more expensive North Face jacket. I have a pair of cold weather mountain biking gloves from them, and I love them for exactly that, as well as "car gloves", where I really only need gloves to drive with, and not be outdoors in the cold/wind/wet. They were a great source of bike parts if you did you own maintenance. I even ran a small bike repair business a while back, and it was a good source for brand name parts (chains, sprockets, etc) of decent quality, and I got a number of accessories there for a very good price like helmet, shoes/pedals, hydration packs, horn, rear flashing lights, etc.

Ya I agree, not the biggest fan of their back packs, and a lot of their other house brand items, but they do have a bunch of good stuff, and a lot of it for a fair price. Not sure why all the hate.

VancouverSkiBum
05-10-2014, 04:39 PM
I find the fact you need a membership to shop there, and that membership costs money, is a huge joke. Other than that its a nice place to look around and possibly find a couple unique items. The new one on Broadway in van is like a Palace.

The Stig
05-10-2014, 05:33 PM
I find the fact you need a membership to shop there, and that membership costs money, is a huge joke. Other than that its a nice place to look around and possibly find a couple unique items. The new one on Broadway in van is like a Palace.

I don't know what your situation is in Van, but here in TO, their competition doesn't really cut it either. REI is multiple times better than MEC, but a US entity, so in Canada, for a brick and mortar, with their warranty, they are pretty impressive. And membership? C'mon, so does REI, Costco, etc. If the membership is worth it, it's worth it. It's like $5 for a lifetime membership. That is a problem for you? How many people pay a helluva lot more every month for their Costco membership. If the $5 membership is such a joke, probably best you don't shop for what is a relatively expensive hobby anyways. I've had mine so long, I forgot there even was a membership.

VancouverSkiBum
05-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Did I step into CGN? What is wrong with some people, jeez.

FlyingHigh
05-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Alright folks, settle down and play nice please. No need to get personal and knock everyone's choices.

While I personally wouldn't touch that bike with a 10ft pole, with my cycling background I recognize that not everyone knows bikes and accept that. Not everyone can afford a quality bike and make do with what they can.

As for MEC...to each their own. I shop there regularly and have had excellent conversations with some employees about mountain sheep hunting. I also happen to know that a couple years back, one or two of the board members elected were/are hunters. Appearances are deceiving. Great gear, excellent prices, knowledgeable service.

But back on topic. Again, please play nice. :)

Gaidheal
05-10-2014, 08:17 PM
I was thinking fat bike for hunting as well the Cogburn CB4 is set up from the factory as a hunting bike but you can buy their racks to put on other bikes.
As a "bike" guy I can say you really do get what you pay for, it's not like guns where a $149 SKS can float your boat if that's what you're in to.

I *am* a bike guy who is known to commute 16km each way all year round.. and I will have you know I paid $144 for my most recent SKS at a CanTire. Not sure what that extra $5 got you? I paid more than double it's cost in supposed upgrades (none of which worked as advertised - new thread maybe?)

Now Fat Bikes... that would require a whole different forum.

I'll take bikes and guns over hooters and scooters. But I *am* approaching old. go figure.

Donny Fenn
05-11-2014, 04:18 PM
it was more a statement of people being happy with an SKS for the money, if you are buying a bike at CT you wouldn't be happy commuting with it 32KM a day because sooner or later (most likely sooner) you'd be walking not commuting
a cheap gun will last just as long as an expensive gun when they are treated the same, a "cheap" bike will not last as long as an "expensive" bike when they are treated the same...

Gaidheal
05-11-2014, 04:27 PM
True that.

zulu
05-11-2014, 06:36 PM
^not really. theres a lot that seperates expensive guns from cheap ones

Gaidheal
05-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Yes. But my el-cheapo SKS seems to be as rock solid as my FN L1A1, which in my opinion is the stoutest firearm I own.

zulu
05-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Ohh im sure it does. but its just not as straight across as this example . what i mean is if shooting half moa was my goal an sks woyld fail this instantly aaaaand id be looking for something else amd a little more expensive.

Gaidheal
05-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Ohh im sure it does. but its just not as straight across as this example . what i mean is if shooting half moa was my goal an sks woyld fail this instantly aaaaand id be looking for something else amd a little more expensive.

I hear that. The SKS was a mass-produced battle rifle from the middle of the last century. Good enough for deer/bear hunting I'm sure (my choice for this year's spring bear hunt)

Bit heavy for mountain biking though. A lot lighter than my Czech 52/57 - LOL

zulu
05-11-2014, 08:34 PM
I admit i do love my self some sks despite its flaws

OEM
05-16-2014, 07:55 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with a cheap bike folks. Seriously. When I was lots younger and always broke, I saved up for a long time to buy my first "racer". It was a $200 special. I entered many races with that thing. I even rode 300 km one day, slept at a bus stop, to race a 120 km race the next day, and then rode home 300 km after that...in a massive tropical storm that had me riding through water that was at times over my hubs, on a flooded highway.

I got a better job, I saved more money and finally bought a Vitus all-aluminium. That bike was the bees knees at that time. Cost me $1600 at the time and was cutting edge as the whole bike was literally glued together. I loved the bike cos I could go faster on the downhills as the bike had lots of flex, which absorbed the bumps that old mountain roads always seemed to have. And for sprinting, the flex made for good optics....holy smokes look at that guy he's actually bending the frame with his sprint!!! Yep, I was THAT guy.

Then it literally just separated. Not at any of the glued joints. But right in the middle of the seat tube. I was powering up a hill one day, and suddenly felt like I "lost power". Well got off the bike, and it looked fine. Then I noticed a perfect hair line on the seat tube. Yep, the thing just broke...must've been a manufacturing defect.

Meanwhile, my lousy $200 bike, which I gave to my brother, who gave it to a friend and as far as I understand it, STILL RUNS UNTIL TODAY...introducing more and more young boys into the wonderful world of bike racing by having the honour of being their first "racer". That thing was so heavy and had the cheapest components that some backyard Malaysian company could throw together.

I hear a lot from guys who tell me nothing works like their many thou$and dollar fancy dandy bikes. I'm here to tell you my experience tells otherwise.

I met my future wife to be on that old bike. I took corners down a mountain at gawd-knows-how-fast-with-no-hands to show off with that bike. I used to fly downhill with my rear wheel on the grass and the brakes full on, just to show that one could go full-speed-balls-out with the rear wheel locked and not fall down. I went off road with the damn thing when nobody went offroad with racers. That frame was solid. And the rims alone were probably as heavy as some of the new-fangled bikes today, frame and all (heck, maybe rider included lol!) I can't believe anyone will say a bike will leave you stranded just because its cheap.

Just use your common sense. Look at the lugs. Check out the welding. Brakes? Pffft...I never had disk brakes. Those rubber blocks stopped me real good when I needed them. Never fell once because I couldn't stop on time. Every single fall was due to me showing off...geez, I could write a book on the number of times and why they happened lol!! Keep them aligned right and they'll last a long time. Shifter components? Sure, expensive is nice. But cheap works too. More important is tuning. Make sure they're aligned well and you're good to go. Rims, again, I would go for cheap/tough vs expensive/light. You're looking for durability here. And in my experience, the cheap tough align easier than the expensive light. Learn to align your rims...very important with rubber brakes.

So what else is there to a bike? I dunno? Seat? If you're off roading, you're probably standing most of the way.

Geez...all this talk of bikes and the good weather we're having makes me wanna dust out the Vitus 7-Carbone bike that belongs to the wife, but fits me perfectly too. That one cost her about $9,000 back in the day. Full Campagnolo groupset, I believe. Oh but wait...I can't cos the bloody rims only take glue-on sew-ups, and the last time I rode it to work and back (40 km one way) I blew out the last 3 remaining tires I had...damn Canadian roads are full of sharp stuff!! Who carries three spares and blows them all on the same day? Plus that 42-17 gear is just too much for these old knees of mine.

Damn....I wish I still had my old bike. Should've never given it to my brother!

Gaidheal
05-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Buy a fancy bike and trade him back. lol

Facepalm
05-18-2014, 03:25 PM
You know when I was a kid, we rode a lot of places. sometimes we would have dogs chasing our bikes which made life interesting. Now consider where you are taking the bike. Mountains, Alberta, bear country, Big Black bears, Big humongous GRIZZLY BEARS. Chasing your bike. Please try this, if you survive, please let me know. Personnally I would think the horse option would be better....:)

Foxer
05-18-2014, 05:25 PM
You know when I was a kid, we rode a lot of places. sometimes we would have dogs chasing our bikes which made life interesting. Now consider where you are taking the bike. Mountains, Alberta, bear country, Big Black bears, Big humongous GRIZZLY BEARS. Chasing your bike. Please try this, if you survive, please let me know. Personnally I would think the horse option would be better....:)
It's happened. A lady here in bc was killed by a young bear who jumped her while she rode her bike. Mind you i seem to recall reading at the time she had earbuds in and it looked like the bear totally got her by surprise. I might be wrong. Anyway - biking in the woods and the bear gave chase and killed her. Probably best to have some bear spray in a bandoleer rig if you're doing it, you'll never get to your gun fast enough.

zulu
05-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Bears isnt my concern. If i could afford a horse and a place for it id buy a quad. (Although i have always wanted to try a hunt on horse back)

Facepalm
05-18-2014, 06:50 PM
(Although i have always wanted to try a hunt on horse back)

There is nothing like it. My horses are not the trail type horses, they can have a peculiar attitude at times. We know how to deal with them when they are like this. However the benefits far out weigh the problems. We can carry 24/7 where the quads are restricted. PM me with your location

zulu
05-18-2014, 06:57 PM
^^^

:0 say whaaaaaaaat! Pm inbound.