PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Hunter...Bob Lee Swagger Novels...

frankthedog
04-25-2014, 07:27 AM
Some of the best books I have read in a long long time, remember that movie "Shooter" with Marky Mark ? It was based on one of his novels. Just about finished one called "I,Sniper" and have two more I found at my local little used book store in my bag here at camp. They revolve around the Bob Lee Swagger character, a ex Vietnam sniper. If you are looking for a good book I would suggest any of Stephen Hunters books about Bobby Lee Swagger...out.

Strewth
04-25-2014, 08:44 AM
I like Stephen Hunter; it's been a while, the one in the bayou work camp would make a great movie as well.

tigrr
04-25-2014, 09:20 AM
If you like those you should seek out some Don Pendleton "Mack Bolan" books. I have most of Stephen Hunters writings and almost all the Mack Bolan Executioner series. Helps me fall asleep!!

Rory McCanuck
04-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Hehe Mack Bolan. Saw one in the book store the other day, #427? lol.
"His head disappeared in a fine red mist."
A roomie in high school had all of them, and I devoured them ;)
Mack wanted a big heavy bullet to shoot a mafioso behind armoured glass, so he got a 444 Marlin.
Wanted one ever since and lost all self control when I finally came across one.

The Shooter with MarkyMark, wasn't that the one with "They shot my dog, now it's personal"?
I liked the truism that a well trained someone with a .22 is still a very dangerous someone.

frankthedog
04-28-2014, 09:32 PM
finished " I, Sniper " and highly recommend it...some awesome cowboy action shooting elements lol...starting " Time to Hunt " now

Donny Fenn
05-05-2014, 04:29 PM
I have read them all, have the next one on pre-order for May 20th.
"Point of Impact" is pretty much to blame for me leaving the "i only need a rimfire" to "i need one of everything Hunter mentions in his books". Do you know how hard it is to find a Colt in 38 Super that hasn't been hot rodded?
Liked the movie "Shooter", disliked that they changed the time frame so it screws up any of the series being told correctly.
I could live with Wahlberg as Swagger in "Shooter" but think a better choice would have to play Swagger if they were to do a movie series true to the books.
Supposedly "Dirty White Boys" is in development as a movie and although not really a Swagger book I hope they do it justice.
Yes, I am a fan.

Wolf50BMG
05-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Yep big fan. Just working on his latest called the third bullet. About the JFK assassination. Interesting if kinda scattered. But yeah been re reading point of impact since I was oh 17 or so. Even got my father to get a model 70 in 300 H&H. Lol. Beauty rifle. He's got a new book on the works. Vaguely about snipers on the eastern front ww2. I think.

Donny Fenn
05-23-2014, 10:40 AM
the latest: Sniper's Honor is very good, a two night read for me (I read fast but have kids or "time vampires" as i call them)
and it features a Lee-Enfield No4 (T) for a critical plot twist

if anyone wants a copy of Pale Horse Coming, I have spare hard cover that I'd trade for something similar

bettercallsaul
05-23-2014, 09:48 PM
I have a copy of Point of Impact on audio cassette that has been in my household for about 20 years. Still haven't listened to it, maybe I should. Minus all the hollywoodisms, I liked the movie Shooter, especially the Levon Helm scene.

http://www.hotflick.net/flicks/2007_Shooter/007STR_Levon_Helm_002.jpg