PDA

View Full Version : Installing a bent bolt handle on a Mosin Nagant

stencollector
04-29-2012, 11:34 AM
It's not hard to do a professional looking job when bending a bolt handle with just a few basic tools.

1) Cut the bolt handle off the bolt with a hacksaw.

2) Cut the ball off the end of the bolt handle.

3) Get a long bolt from a hardware store the same diameter as the original bolt handle, and cut the end off it.

4) Carefully file approx 3/4" down to leave a decent shoulder, then thread it.

5) Drill and tap the bolt with the same size thread.

6) Put the new bolt handle in a vice and heat up the part where the bend needs to be with a blow torch. Bend it to suit by tapping with a hammer.

7) Screw the new handle into the bolt to see how much to remove from the threaded end. (The shoulder needs to be tight up against the bolt.)

8) The final position of the bolt handle can be adjusted by carefully removing a little material at a time from the shoulder. It should be vertically downwards when fully tightened. Tighten it so that it squeeks when it's tightened.

9) Remove the new bolt handle from bolt, and cut the other end to the desired length. File it to leave a shoulder as with the other end and thread it.

10) Drill and tap the ball and screw it to the bolt handle, and adjust as necessary.

11) When satisfied that everything fit's properly. screw the parts together and fix using red loctite.

I decided to install a bent handle using the above method as I had seen some rough looking jobs, even some of the original MN snipers look rough, and at the time I did not have access to welding machine and did not know how to use one in any case.

If you do all the steps above carefully, ( it took me for hours with no prior experience) it will look like it came from the factory that way. Nobody will know the difference.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w315/Orriblebastard/IMG_1937-1.jpg

webster
05-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Looks really good man! Nice work.

stencollector
05-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks :) It's not hard to do using this method, and what's more it's safe. If you do bugger up the new bolt handle just make another one.

Mo Nagant
03-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Nice job. I don't have the tools to do this but do you know a place in Canada that does? I would like to bent my bolt on my Mosin Nagant 91 30

Haywire1
03-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Since the last post was made in 2012, and that was also the last time he logged in, i suspect your not going to get an answer from him bud

Satain
03-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Nice job. I don't have the tools to do this but do you know a place in Canada that does? I would like to bent my bolt on my Mosin Nagant 91 30
I know multiple gun smiths who would do this.
Actually if you want to do it yourself ATI has a kit for you.