PDA

View Full Version : Can you take sand from a public beach?

Petamocto
04-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Nothing to do with firearms, but I've tried using Google and all I can find are dumb opinion-based posts on things like Yahoo answers.

I just built a small sandbox in my backyard, and now I need to fill it. At my last house and last sandbox I filled it with 40 pound bags from the the local landscaping place, but it ended up being almost $100 just to fill a 4x4 sandbox.

So my question is whether or not it is illegal to go to a public beach and start shoveling? I wouldn't bother asking if it were just a few buckets (I'd just take it), but this would require my small utility trailer, because I'm far enough away that I only want to do one trip.

Anyone have a reference or experience?

Canuck223
04-27-2014, 01:27 PM
I believe in Ontario you'd be nailed for excavating without a permit.......

In all seriousness, would you do it if your next door neighbours were swimming at the time?

coastal
04-27-2014, 02:03 PM
I would see if you can get a temporary permit. If it were legal, there would be no sand left!

We have a place around here that sells golf course sand....holy crap is it nice!

FALover
04-27-2014, 03:08 PM
Beach sand is dirty. For what you need just go to a local redi-mix, garden supply or gravel pit. You shovel it in so the yahoo on the loader don't drop 1/2 ton on your little trailer and it should not be anymore than a cheap 24 of beer. Hauling off a beach could get you stuck in more ways than one. None would be cheaper than the aforementioned 24.

blacksmithden
04-27-2014, 04:01 PM
Very doubtful. Depending on where you are, a lot of public beaches were created by trucking in the sand and they have to replenish it to stave off erosion. They might not be too happy if you start loading it up. LOL. Depending on where you are and how busy the beach is......well......I'm not suggesting anything, but some questions are best left unasked. ;)

lone-wolf
04-27-2014, 05:19 PM
My first sandbox was beach sand. Pretty sure that it wasn't legal, but when no one local cares, and tourists/police are few and far between...

Camo tung
04-27-2014, 05:30 PM
I've "liberated" a pick-up truck load of gravel or two from a creek bank in my day without paperwork.

Petamocto
04-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Beach sand is dirty. For what you need just go to a local redi-mix, garden supply or gravel pit. You shovel it in so the yahoo on the loader don't drop 1/2 ton on your little trailer and it should not be anymore than a cheap 24 of beer. Hauling off a beach could get you stuck in more ways than one. None would be cheaper than the aforementioned 24.

I live near a very long clean beach.

I'm not going to a garden supply place; that's where I got the stuff for my last (smaller) sandbox and it was over $100.

Camo tung
04-27-2014, 05:38 PM

I'm not going to a garden supply place; that's where I got the stuff for my last (smaller) sandbox and it was over $100.

Maybe it's going to be easier to just haul your sandbox down to the beach and enjoy it there? ;D

Petamocto
04-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Maybe it's going to be easier to just haul your sandbox down to the beach and enjoy it there? ;D

Haha, well played.

Near means 30 minutes, so it would be okay to go there once with a trailer, but not as easy to get my kids there and back compared to opening my back door.

Drache
04-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Ok this is from Nova Scotia but I'm sure other provinces have the same:

An Act to Preserve and Protect
the Beaches of Nova Scotia

Prohibited removal of sand

6 (1) No person shall wilfully take or remove any sand, gravel, stone or other material from a beach without the permission of the Minister.

Petamocto
04-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Cool, thank you. Much appreciated for an actual reference vice opinion.

FALover
04-27-2014, 07:38 PM

I worked for a garden centre/landscaping outfit for years. The bagged sand is usually washed and clean but as you noted, pricey. Find a place that sells loose/bulk. Sand can be had for much less . No idea of your location but if near Georgian Bay/Meaford/ Collingwood call Maxwells Landscape & Masonry. If they do not have it they can point you in the right direction. You want brick sand for a sandbox.

ps. if there are any new subdivisions in your area, ask the site supervisor if you can buy a bit from anywhere they are bricking houses.

Petamocto
04-27-2014, 07:54 PM
No idea of your location but if near Georgian Bay/Meaford/ Collingwood call Maxwells Landscape & Masonry.

Thank you for the tip, will do. I called a few places to see if any of their bulk sand would be sandbox-quality, but everyone said "no".

I don't think I saw Maxwell's though, so I'll call them in the morning. $50 or so is justifiable, but at the bagged price I'd be spending over $200 if my 4x4 one was 100.

Candychikita
04-28-2014, 01:14 AM
In BC you have to have a permit to excavate anywhere near a body of water through Oceans and Fisheries IIRC. If you're still interested I can track my source down for that?

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pnw-ppe/index-eng.html

Sounds like you have a pretty good lead already. Good luck :D