PDA

View Full Version : Supply and Availability?

BruceW
04-28-2014, 08:02 AM
I've been thinking about this lately. With what's going on in E. Europe and reading China wants double what they did for their sks's; Looking around on websites most of the standard dealers seem to be sold out of most everything Russian.

Granted, there's lot's of sks's, svt's and most varieties of mosin's in the country already, but what do you think? I can remember 45 gallon drums of full stock 303's for under 35 bucks. Try and find a nice one now, and there's thousands and thousands of them here.

Also, what about surplus ammo? Likely cyclical, but then again? Was in Leth. last week, Wholesale just got in a pallet of 7.62x54 Russian, was marked 220/crate. Their 7.62x39 pile was looking pretty sparse, a few crates and some pkg'd half crates of Romanian. Perhaps it's time to, "buy it cheap and stack it deep"?

Thoughts?

BruceW
04-29-2014, 07:06 AM
No one has any thoughts on this, or is everyone too busy hoarding to answer, haha?

lone-wolf
04-29-2014, 07:17 AM
The time is always to buy it cheap and stack it deep. Ammo isn't going to get cheaper. A firearm law change caused SKS rifles in aussieland to be listed(last I checked) for over a grand.
Lack of liquid money leaves me unable to stack it deep.

FALover
04-29-2014, 07:19 AM
Got enough for my red rifles. Cheap 9mm is what I want. Maybe more 7.62 NATO? And 7mm Mauser!

BrotherRockeye
04-29-2014, 08:23 AM
I just made a deal for a Rusky SKS and will be buying a case of ammo when it gets here...don't really know why, I only put 5 rounds through my last on before I sold it and didn't even put 1 through my Yugo...

I guess having a cheap utility milsurp on hand just makes sense.

Gunexpert007
05-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Eventually , the surplus Soviet SKS supply will dry up much like the 303 supply did......and the Chinese SKS will be to expensive to buy . The SKS has been very popular here because they were so cheap to purchase and shoot , as they were alot of rifle for very little money.......but if prices rise , interest in the firearm will drop quickly.....

mtlgun
05-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Sooner or later the party runs out on everything surplus. You hit the end of the line as to what's been stacked up or stored away. Then the price starts to climb for what's left.

303 used to be dirt cheap. If you bought a pallet of the stuff 10 years ago, its' worth x 10 what you paid today. About the same for 8mm Mauser, and most of the other less common stuff 7.5 French, 6.5 x ??.

I remember wtb's from last year at this time for 5.56. I sold a case of norc that was gathering dust for @ 450. SFRC has it for $350 today. When the boat showed up in July or so the price crashed and hasn't come back up. And that's on ammo that ** supposedly ** will never be seen again due to shipping restrictions.

If you've got deep pockets I'd say grab 5.56 while you can. It's jaw dropping how cheap it is atm. Still some but not many bargains to be had on 7.62/308 so get that while you can. 7.62 x 39 don't sweat, there's still a 50 years supply of it out there.

greywolf67nt
08-06-2014, 09:02 PM
I am finding the 7.62X25 for the pistols is hard locate.
If anyone knows where they have the cases of surp let me know.

Strewth
08-06-2014, 09:25 PM
I am finding the 7.62X25 for the pistols is hard locate.
If anyone knows where they have the cases of surp let me know.

Closest to Milsurp right now I think is Tradeex? Norinco@$16/50.

Agree with buying cheap guns while we can; no way anyone is manufacturing a modern SKS for $200.

greywolf67nt
08-06-2014, 10:27 PM
I have an SKS, Mosin, TT-33 and will own an SVT-40 within the month.
My son owns a 30-06 and for every round he fires off I can unload a box of 7.62x39 and not even flinch.
I guess the cost of these weapons just appeals to my cheap bone and you CANNOT kill them. I figure why pay thousands of dollars on a gun to target shoot with. This way everyone that shows up at the range can have a go and if something happens, so what, $200 and I have a new one.

Doug_M
08-07-2014, 05:22 AM
Norinco@$16/50.

That's expensive though I suppose it is non-corrosive. I know of at least 3 of my LGS (including crappytire) have surplus for about $8/50.

Strewth
08-07-2014, 07:54 AM
^Huh, can't find any around here at the moment, there seems to be a bit of a supply chain hiccup for the last...six months? or so.