PDA

View Full Version : Sweet an archery section

Steveo9mm
05-05-2014, 09:43 PM
With all the fluff about cz and swiss arms, i never even noticed there was an archery section. Ive been an archerer since the early 80's. i still shoot in my backyard and even yesterday i was pounding a rolled up carpet with a 50lb recurve and carbon arrows.

I stopped last fall due to an elbow problem but this past week i had no problem pulling a 50lb

Do we have a bullwhip section? I have a collection of those as well that ive been using longer than guns.

:bananna:

Foxer
05-05-2014, 09:51 PM
With all the fluff about cz and swiss arms, i never even noticed there was an archery section. Ive been an archerer since the early 80's. i still shoot in my backyard and even yesterday i was pounding a rolled up carpet with a 50lb recurve and carbon arrows.

I stopped last fall due to an elbow problem but this past week i had no problem pulling a 50lb

Do we have a bullwhip section? I have a collection of those as well that ive been using longer than guns.

:bananna:

Wow - pistols, whips and pointy sticks :) We should start calling you "Indiana Steveo" :)

I love archery, tho i don't get much time to do it and make no claims of expert skill or even ANY skill. I can usually manage minute of squirrel if i'm close enough :)

Steveo9mm
05-06-2014, 12:05 AM
Archery i started a long time ago. Bull whips was because of Indiana jones and more lately, Adam Winrich. About 2 years ago i fell upon his videos on youtube and got sucked into the world of tapered leather.

Foxer
05-06-2014, 12:08 AM
I got interested in whips a little while back - but never went anywhere with it. Just too many other things. Extremely cool tho. I always wondered if a bullwhip crack would be effective on deterring a bear (but wouldn't have the nerve to try it without a few guys with big bores to back me up when the bear decided to floss my teeth with it :) )

Steveo9mm
05-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Good question. It might be. I know my 12 foot will wake up the neighborhood if i crack it at night. Or possibly get the police helicopter on me.

coastal
05-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Funny you mention minute of squirrel Foxer, that is precisely what I am working towards. I have 2 squirrels that live on the property that I have been having a Caddyshack style battle with for several years. Sure I could shoot them with a .22, but I've made it a goal to get them with my bow. Little jerks rip the garbage apart and try to live in the hottub foam. I'm shooting a Martin take down recurve with no sights. I love learning instinctive shooting. ;)

Foxer
05-06-2014, 09:10 AM
Funny you mention minute of squirrel Foxer, that is precisely what I am working towards. I have 2 squirrels that live on the property that I have been having a Caddyshack style battle with for several years. Sure I could shoot them with a .22, but I've made it a goal to get them with my bow. Little jerks rip the garbage apart and try to live in the hottub foam. I'm shooting a Martin take down recurve with no sights. I love learning instinctive shooting. ;)

Sounds pretty epic :) There is something strangely cathartic and borderline spiritual about instinctive shooting a bow. I bought those snake bows (little 22ish lb re curves) for my gf and her boys and we took 'em out shooting them a few times now. The boys like it but she just loves it - quite a natural too, in almost no time she was grouping 2 inches at 15 yards or so. She's president of her strata and she' got so excited she wanted to deliver notices using the bow, enforce parking bylaws with it (arrow stuck in your tire when you come out with a note explaining which bylaw you violated by parking there), etc etc. But fortunately I got her calmed down a bit :)

Candychikita
05-06-2014, 10:20 AM
A bullwhip section? I think that could be arranged heh.

The last time I left my bullwhip lying around someone took out my ceiling mount lights bahahahaha. Oh boy :D

Foxer
05-06-2014, 10:38 AM
A bullwhip section? I think that could be arranged heh.

The last time I left my bullwhip lying around someone took out my ceiling mount lights bahahahaha. Oh boy :D

I think i may have just divined a new revenue stream for this board.

Strewth
05-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Glad I'm not the only one with a bullwhip:). Found it in an antique store in Saskatchewan visiting family in the Qu'appelle Valley. I got in trouble for practicing by picking the leaves and flowers off of my cousin's rhododendron. Have a Martin compound bow too, haven't used it in years. Probably needs to be sussed out by a proshop before being drawn again.

http://www.messentools.com/images/emoticones/frutas/www.MessenTools.com-Frutas-whip.gif

OEM
05-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Sounds pretty epic :) There is something strangely cathartic and borderline spiritual about instinctive shooting a bow. I bought those snake bows (little 22ish lb re curves) for my gf and her boys and we took 'em out shooting them a few times now. The boys like it but she just loves it - quite a natural too, in almost no time she was grouping 2 inches at 15 yards or so. She's president of her strata and she' got so excited she wanted to deliver notices using the bow, enforce parking bylaws with it (arrow stuck in your tire when you come out with a note explaining which bylaw you violated by parking there), etc etc. But fortunately I got her calmed down a bit :)

Those Snake bows are highly under-rated! I one for one of my daughters and she's pretty good at it. I found it had quite a bit of hand shock though, however, someone is making me a custom string for it using fast-flight that will apparently almost eliminate the hand-shock and increase shootability of these bows. The guy apparently makes strings and such for scout groups in the US and its the bow of choice for youth. He's even got some fancy graphs and such for these bows.

2 inches at 15 yards is a MUCH better group than I can manage!

Foxer
05-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Those Snake bows are highly under-rated!

I know, right? They're cheap like borsht and they work awesome - I think i outfitted everyone with arrows and wrist guards for about 50 -60 bucks each :) And you can drive over them with a truck and they still work. The kids are accidentally digging the tips into the ground and it does nothing :) Great beginners bow to learn decent form and still feel like you're shooting a 'real' bow, not some garbage.

2 inches at 15 yards is a MUCH better group than I can manage!

Yeah. I don't want to talk about it. :)

Candychikita
05-06-2014, 03:38 PM
And you can drive over them with a truck and they still work.

Speaking from experience here are we? bahahahahahahah

Foxer
05-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Speaking from experience here are we? bahahahahahahah

Don't laugh at me - you don't know for SURE it was me driving! (grumble grumble stupid insightful women grumble grumble)

Candychikita
05-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Don't laugh at me - you don't know for SURE it was me driving! (grumble grumble stupid insightful women grumble grumble)

bahahahahhah i should meet your woman. we have a *LOT* in common bahahahahha. my gun is surprisingly intact.

Steveo9mm
05-06-2014, 06:15 PM
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o508/steve_fontaine1/imagejpg1_zpse5879b31.jpg (http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/steve_fontaine1/media/imagejpg1_zpse5879b31.jpg.html)

Steveo9mm
05-06-2014, 06:16 PM
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o508/steve_fontaine1/imagejpg1_zps0438576f.jpg (http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/steve_fontaine1/media/imagejpg1_zps0438576f.jpg.html)

Steveo9mm
05-06-2014, 06:17 PM
http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o508/steve_fontaine1/imagejpg1_zps14836749.jpg (http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/steve_fontaine1/media/imagejpg1_zps14836749.jpg.html)

Petamocto
05-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Here's my daughter last fall. Thank you "Brave" movie:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1450159_10151878333065777_682775616_n.jpg

coastal
05-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Petamocto how many # draw is that bow? I got my daughter a little compound bow to make it a bit easier.

Foxer
05-06-2014, 07:12 PM
Petamoctom that is just cute as hell :)

Petamocto
05-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Petamoctom that is just cute as hell :)

Who, my wife or daughter?

Why thank you, good sir. She doesn't want anything to do with shooting a 22, though. No worries, her choice and not pressuring anything.

Petamocto how many # draw is that bow? I got my daughter a little compound bow to make it a bit easier.

Only 16. That was a rental last fall at Wolf's Den near Barrie. Her birthday was last month and I got her the brand new version of that. It was more than I wanted to pay, but there was something simple and pure about an old fashioned setup with high quality wood. We have a son three years younger, so I was willing to get it knowing we'd get two kids' worth of use on it.

coastal
05-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Oh ya I'd love to get my daughter a nice recurve, but the draw weights are always too high.

Foxer
05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
how old is she? That snake bow is a pretty easy draw even for a young girl. I could always drop one off to see how she does with it if you like. You're not exactly a long way away.

coastal
05-06-2014, 07:37 PM
She turns 8 friday, I think 12-15lbs would be good for her.

Petamocto
05-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Oh ya I'd love to get my daughter a nice recurve, but the draw weights are always too high.

How old? Mine was 6 and just turned 7.

She's strong enough to pull it back (and really loves to crank shots as far as they can go in the field), but I'm not sure if it's too strong of a pull to actually be accurate. She's by no means a pro, and it's a high five just to hit the square metre target from 15.

Foxer
05-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Well if you want to give the snake a try you're welcome to it - might still be a hair too big for her but you're welcome to try it out and see.

Petamocto
05-06-2014, 08:04 PM
You're right that 12-15 likely would have been perfect for my daughter right now, too, but what I was worried about was that as soon as she started using it she would strengthen those muscles and in no time she'd be too strong for it. That's another reason we went with 16.

Plus, 16 actually makes it fun for Dad to shoot, too (ie, just about the smallest thing and adult can still shoot without seeming absurdly small). It's kind of fun for me to shoot in the same way a 22 is fun, or riding a scooter when you're used to a sportbike.

coastal
05-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Well if you want to give the snake a try you're welcome to it - might still be a hair too big for her but you're welcome to try it out and see.

Well thank you, what part of vancouver are you in??

You're right that 12-15 likely would have been perfect for my daughter right now, too, but what I was worried about was that as soon as she started using it she would strengthen those muscles and in no time she'd be too strong for it. That's another reason we went with 16.

Plus, 16 actually makes it fun for Dad to shoot, too (ie, just about the smallest thing and adult can still shoot without seeming absurdly small). It's kind of fun for me to shoot in the same way a 22 is fun, or riding a scooter when you're used to a sportbike.

I hear ya, I ended up getting her this bow, its adjustable from 6lbs to 29lbs so it can grow with her.

http://www.diamondarchery.com/#/productBreakdown?r=products_products&i=40

This was her first little baby compound bow, it was a great trainer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw7b6434V3w

Foxer
05-06-2014, 11:08 PM
Well thank you, what part of vancouver are you in??

Downtown - but i'm in langley most weekends. Shouldn't be hard to hook up.

coastal
05-07-2014, 07:01 AM
Downtown - but i'm in langley most weekends. Shouldn't be hard to hook up.

Cool, maybe in the next few weeks we can try to meet up. ;)

Foxer
05-07-2014, 07:21 AM
sounds like a plan. I'll pm you my contact details and we'll figure it out. I'll grab my GF's - she recently re-watched Brave and Robin Hood and has been getting some questionable ideas about bylaw enforcement at her strata anyway, so it's probably best if I get it out of the house for a bit. At least till she stops referring to the trouble maker 2 doors down as "prince john".

OEM
05-07-2014, 09:44 AM
The snake bows are really good for little kids. What's important though are the arrows. My little girl was getting frustrated until I got her some Easton 1214s. They're very skinny low-spine arrows for low weight bows. Remember that most kids are drawing below draw length, so even a 20 lb bow is going to be maxing maybe 15 only with their little arms. They key to fun is getting them to hit the target. I know at the junior archery programme, my little girl is pretty proud of the fact that she doesn't miss the target at 20 yards, whereas a lot of other kids are out looking for their arrows!

Petamocto, your girls are all cute, wife and child ;-) I have three girls myself.