PDA

View Full Version : Duracoat ? Armacoat ? Ceracoat ?

frankthedog
05-14-2014, 03:09 PM
whats the best one ? opinions ? experiences ? whats the cheapest easiest one ?...so I have a newer 870 express with the matte black finish...I dont know what it is...what would the prep on that be ? could I just degrease it and spray over ? or best to scuff it up a bit ? any answers to any of these questions are appreciated thanks all

Canuck
05-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Tagged for interest.

Ondrej_T
05-14-2014, 06:56 PM
i have used this product (http://www.arma-coat.ca/webpages/Arma-Coat_11.cfm) with really good results, as the prep work goes just followed instructions from their website.

SelectShootingSupplies
05-14-2014, 08:56 PM
We use Cerakote and KG Gun Kote.

Dura-coat and Cerakote are very similar, all brands have pros and cons but all are good products.

Prep consists of a complete detailed disassembly, complete degrease, media blast with 120 grit aluminium oxide, final clean then apply coating and bake.

Un-like automotive spray paints these products are applied very thin.

We just finished an 870 ringmaster in Burnt Bronze and Black Cerakote for S&J Hardware, it came out very nice.

SKULLBOY
05-14-2014, 10:03 PM
I have used Cerakote with great results, but I personally prefer KG Gun-Kote........It is pre-mixed (just shake the can) and no need to add hardeners..........

SelectShootingSupplies
05-15-2014, 05:28 AM
I have used Cerakote with great results, but I personally prefer KG Gun-Kote........It is pre-mixed (just shake the can) and no need to add hardeners..........

I agree and prefer KG Gun Kote for metal parts that can be baked at 325F but for plastic parts and some accessories that is not always possible. KG also allows for a very smooth high gloss finish if you want that.

I have reviewed all of the brands except Arma-Coat and they all have pros and cons and different colour options so it all comes down to the project you are doing and the colour you want.

Satain
05-15-2014, 08:48 AM
I have tried them all.
Being a painter by trade Cerakote wins hands down. The other 2 will fail long before Cerakote will. Why better sheens & colors to choose from and takes even the worst pounding and will still look great.
On this subject. I got a ton of Arma-Coat & Dura-Coat kicking around if anyone wants any cause I do not even think it's worth wasting my time using it.

Bwgunsmith
05-16-2014, 09:19 PM
i use cerakote in my shop and swear by it process is long but in the end well worth it to get it done professionally i do an average of 3-5 a week

bettercallsaul
05-17-2014, 12:05 AM
I've read that Cerakote is the cream of the crop, while Armacoat & Duracoat are very similiar but pretty good also.

I wouldn't mind having a gun Cerakoted one day. Maybe a nice precision rifle. MMmmmm...

mtlgun
05-21-2014, 07:28 PM
I use Arma just because it's easier to source, no customs or UPS required, and I've had nice results.

No matter which one you choose you need to make sure in advance that you've got
1. excellent prep ( Bead blaster, surgical clean space, decent amount of practice with an airbrush/hvlp gun )
2. very good planning - blast, clean and degrease, warm, paint, warm, touch up or recoat, warm/bake. You absolutely do not want people screaming at you, kids, phone, boss, getting on you when you do this. None of these finishes are cheap, so screwing up gets costly quick. The good/bad is that once they're on, they don't come off easy so don't chavez a job like this.

Sometimes once you do the math of the gear you need and work involved it starts to seem cheap to send it out to a pro and let it come back pro.

Drache
02-16-2017, 11:44 AM
An old thread yes figure an update would be useful.

The shop where I'm apprenticing currently uses Armacoat because it's Canadian. The problem is they seem to be dropping the amount of colours they have. We are currently looking at moving to duracoat for the better selection.

Dismissing the amount of colours, Armacoat works perfectly fine and hardens pretty good in my opinion. I've torture tested one of my guns that I had the barrel armacoated and it's survived quite a bit. Without an oven to bake parts, it takes a total of 21 days for Armacoat to fully harden.

Arma-Coat
04-20-2017, 02:11 PM
An old thread yes figure an update would be useful.

The shop where I'm apprenticing currently uses Armacoat because it's Canadian. The problem is they seem to be dropping the amount of colours they have. We are currently looking at moving to duracoat for the better selection.

Dismissing the amount of colours, Armacoat works perfectly fine and hardens pretty good in my opinion. I've torture tested one of my guns that I had the barrel armacoated and it's survived quite a bit. Without an oven to bake parts, it takes a total of 21 days for Armacoat to fully harden.

Thanks for the support of a canadian product.Our color selection is low due to the base sales of each color, Our major colors sell alot (matte black ,magpul fde,olive green) and we found other colors tend to sit for alot longer. But If any shop out there requires a custom made color of their choice or have the demand for it they can send in a color plate of the desired color and we can make this in 1 gallon quantities for the shop to keep the color on their shelf. So basically we can make any color you want as long as the can support sales for that color. Any other questions feel free reply or call.

glockfan
04-21-2017, 12:19 PM
cerakote is more durable. all my limited guns are pimped and it includes their finish. i have one 9mm with a duracoat finish and there's no way it even approach the durability of heated cerakote. holstering and draws is a very good testing frame for the durability of both finish....and it's well known that cerakote can endure much more abrasion cycles than duracoat or armacoat.

Drache
04-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the support of a canadian product.Our color selection is low due to the base sales of each color, Our major colors sell alot (matte black ,magpul fde,olive green) and we found other colors tend to sit for alot longer. But If any shop out there requires a custom made color of their choice or have the demand for it they can send in a color plate of the desired color and we can make this in 1 gallon quantities for the shop to keep the color on their shelf. So basically we can make any color you want as long as the can support sales for that color. Any other questions feel free reply or call.

Thanks for the heads up and will let my boss know! We prefer to keep things Canadian as much as possible!

tinbird
04-21-2017, 11:43 PM
And just as important as supporting Made in Canada, if it's cold outside, don't forget to WearaCoat :)

deerbeargrouse
04-25-2017, 10:19 PM
It's good to support Canadian made..

Grizz Axxemann
04-27-2017, 01:54 AM
On the topic of ArmaCoat, does anyone know where a guy can get the Preval spray bombs from the kits? I picked up a couple of pints at a gun show a couple years ago but they were sold out of the sprayers.

Driving out to Thorhild from Edmonton isn't very cost effective right now (it'd be a great run on the bike once it's warmer and I have money for fuel and insurance) and having it sent via CP's extortionist prices is dumb to me. What can I say? I have a really hard time paying more for shipping than the cost of the item.

Joshua13
05-27-2017, 02:51 PM
So are all these coats basically brand name powder coating or is there something different about them?

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

Grizz Axxemann
05-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Think more of an epoxy-based paint.

Joshua13
05-28-2017, 06:02 PM
So does any one powder coat their rifles? Or bad idea.

Sent from my E6560T using Tapatalk

metricmike
06-15-2017, 05:19 PM
So does any one powder coat their rifles? Or bad idea.

Generally a bad idea because of the thickness - most parts couldn't be powder coated and still function. I could be wrong on this one, but I believe powdercoat also needs a much higher bake temp. Cerakote is extremely durable and quite thin. That's all we use as far as colored coatings go.

On the topic of ArmaCoat, does anyone know where a guy can get the Preval spray bombs from the kits?
Napa (atleast the warehouse location off of 170th street - Edmonton) carries them. An airbrush might end up being a better idea though if you plan to go through a few pints.