PDA

View Full Version : New to Archery: Is Browning Rage any good?

Petamocto
05-28-2014, 04:39 PM
Hello everyone,

I used to think bows were tacky red neck toys, until we took my Brave-loving daughter to a range last year, and we had a blast.

I bought her a 16 pound recurve for her birthday in April, but now I've been thinking about getting something for myself.

The problem is that I know nothing at all about bows.

A trust-worthy friend at work who has sold me a ton of stuff in the past (including two swiveling Harris bipods for $100 total) has a Browning Compound Rage he is offering to sell me. It is practically new, and in near-mint shape.

His first price was $250 including ~20 arrows (unknown what kind, but likely not crap).

So for anyone who knows about the sport:

1. How is this price? I assume with the arrows it's decent?

2. How are the quality and reviews? My basic Google-fu is bringing up average ratings of 3/5 or so, but I don't know what websites are trustworthy compared to Gun stuff.

Any tips would be great, please.

Forbes/Hutton
05-28-2014, 05:29 PM
The price, with 20 arrows, is fair. Have it checked by a pro shop before firing it. Even with laminates and fibreglass time can do strange things to a bow, more so with compounds because they are never un-strung. At least get the string changed.

I've had one Browning bow. An X-cellerator way back in the late 80s. Despite being warned not to, and promising he wouldn't, a friend dry fired it. The cams cracked and the cables slipped off the cam right onto the axle. This was not unexpected as you just don't ever dry fire a bow, even once. $35 (it was the 80s) to have it shipped to Browning and it came back looking like new. The first time I drew the "repaired" bow, the cables came off the new cams, without any cracking, the cams were at the wrong angle on the axle. It went into the back of the closest and a got a Barrnett compound instead. The "repair" was fast, it was back before the friend's black-eye went away...

RimfireFans
05-28-2014, 06:50 PM
As stated, take it to a pro and get it checked out. They can adjust the pull for you and give it a tune up and make sure everything is lined up before you use it. This can prevent a catastrophic failure if anything is loose, cracked or misaligned. You never know how it was treated before you got it.

The price doesn't seem bad at all.

If it's not included you should take a look into purchasing a release. It will save your fingers some wear and tear and helps with accuracy.

JustBen
05-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Price seems reasonable. I'd take it to a pro shop and have it fitted to you and restringed before I shot it.

+1 to the idea of a release.

Canuck
05-28-2014, 10:22 PM
Price seems reasonable. I'd take it to a pro shop and have it fitted to you and restringed before I shot it. +1 to the idea of a release. Get a release for sure and don't scrimp on it. Get a good one. It makes a world of difference. The price sounds about right. If you decide to upgrade, you should be able to sell it for close to what you paid. The 20 arrows sounds like a good deal but what are they made of? Fletching still good? Are they the proper length for you? Get a pro shop to check it out before you buy it. You don't want to find out it has a crack or two in it. Restringing is a good idea. What kind of sights are on it? Does it come with limb savers? Do you know your draw length? If you don't, check this out: http://www.learn-archery.com/proper-draw-length.html Lots of stuff on the internet to get you started. It is quite addicting and also a great way to relax.

Camo tung
05-29-2014, 03:19 PM
As the others have stated, have it checked out at your local archery shop for any existing damage, problem areas. They can check your cams and axles for binding (bent axles), the string and serving, cam timing and determine the draw weight and your length of pull. Good to know beforehand if it's going to be too short for you. If it's a 60 lb bow you might not have much room to grow with it, a 70 lb draw weight will let you start in the low 60's and work your way up as your muscles get used to it.

Petamocto
05-29-2014, 04:18 PM
The deal got even sweeter. Not only did it come with the arrows, the sight was one of the nice luminous multi-colour jobies, and it came with the release, too.

Lastly, he threw in a Damon Howatt recurve, which I believe is worth several hundred, for a package all-in price of $300 (with the Browning compound and arrows).

Canuck
05-29-2014, 04:21 PM
The deal got even sweeter. Not only did it come with the arrows, the sight was one of the nice luminous multi-colour jobies, but it came with the release, too.

Lastly, he threw in a Damon Howatt recurve, which I believe is worth several hundred, for a package all-in price of $300 (with the Browning compound and arrows).

You have done well. Enjoy! Now send us some groups (soon). With the money you saved you should be able to pick up a good target.

RimfireFans
05-29-2014, 05:52 PM
Congrats on your purchase and enjoy the heck out of it.