PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Stevesummit !

Fredo
06-04-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm a newbie in LRS, and before yesterday my longest hits were at 300 yds -don't laugh. I was already proud of myself, being self taught in the art of the rifle.

I was not expecting to break on through the 1000 yds limit, at least this season.

Fellow GOC member Stevesummit invited me to a shooting session with one of his friend yesterday and, with their help, I was able to hit a target at... 2200 yds. In less than an afternoon. Talk about new limits!

I owe a lot to those 2 gentlemen, for helping me improve so quickly my shooting ability. I don't group tight yet for sure, but I have now the confidence that I'll be able to with more trigger time. Most important of all, I don't have anymore the pressure of the 1000 yds limit. A dream came true, so let's move to another objective: 2000 is the now the new goal!

Thanks Steve, thanks Jason!

See you on the 5th for a game of poker (http://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/showthread.php?12749-Poker-rally-shoot&highlight=poker) !

blacksmithden
06-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Hey JON !!! Where's that LIKE button we ordered ? :D Congrats on breaking into the REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY long range shooting world.

CanuckWR
06-04-2014, 11:03 PM
You are screwed now, this addiction doesn't taper off at all!

Steve is like a street pusher for the ULTRA long range. lol

Fredo
06-04-2014, 11:11 PM
So true CanuckWR. I'm dreaming about a Chey Tac now :)

DOA
06-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Awesome! Steve's a great guy, always willing to share some wisdom. Congrats on your progress. I'm new to the long range stuff myself and am excited to one day make hits out that far too.

Facepalm
06-05-2014, 06:22 AM
I'm not new to long distance I just haven't done it consistently in 38 years. It is a perishable talent. My longest kill shot, (unconfirmed) was 2758 meters. I'm back out to 800 yards with a consistent 1/2" groups. Which as I find is very difficult as my eyes are not what they were, my body couldn't run the 100 yard dash, let alone the miles I did when I was in the "mob". So I'm not as steady. But it sure is fun.

As I'm into it, I'm really going to say with the hunting bullets etc, taking a kill shot at over a 1000 yards is really irresponsible. I do know it can be done, but really how many critters are wounded? Above all I believe one shot, one kill. I have taught my kids the same. If you are guessing on the shot, leave it. There is plenty of meat in the store.
Sorry its just my opinion and the way I hunt.

stevesummit
06-05-2014, 06:58 AM
There was no hunting involved with this but we did put a serious hurt on a chunk of steel !

I am glad to help people and like seeing the look on thier face when they make hits at longer ranges !
DOA I still owe you a trip out so before the poker rally we will head out for an afternoon !

Dmay
06-05-2014, 07:32 AM
You certainly can't go wrong getting the chance to shoot with Steve. I have had the honor quite a number of times, and it is always enjoyable. He's never been afraid to take the next step, and push boundaries, which makes this game the challenge that it is.

I think it important to emphasize (officially speaking only for myself) that our LR shooting has nothing whatsoever to do with hunting animals.

But if ya could eat steel steaks, Steve would be very well-fed.(I think he is anyway.....)

Fredo
06-05-2014, 10:55 AM
Blackwolf,

I don't hunt! I don't even have a hunter number, my BIL hunt enough to feed the whole family.

I just love to punch holes from a distance at high velocity on paper or steel.

Next step is to get them closer to each other!

shadowwarrior
06-06-2014, 12:25 PM
The ELR game is addictive for sure, I got some hits at 1450 metres but the 1650 shot has eluded me the last two outings. Will be going out after this tour at work, might even do a load workup for my powder change hoping to bang the gong from 1650 next time out.

Satain
06-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Sir Steve Rules!!!

FlyingHigh
06-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Congrats Fredo!! I too am hoping to pick up some tips from Long Range Guru Steve at the poker shoot. :)

I made my longest hit a couple weeks ago at 750m. The target was a moose size and shaped gong. I nailed him right in the heart with my friend's .300 Win Mag. I'm sure the look on my face was priceless when i realized it was a hit. Especially since I had just spent about 12 rounds from my 7mm Rem Mag getting within a blonde wazoo hair of the target before running out of ammo.

snipezilla
07-08-2014, 08:58 PM
I made my longest hit a couple weeks ago at 750m.

Looks like you have a new record! Now can we make it 2000m? :)

stevesummit
07-08-2014, 10:43 PM
When your ready to play the 2000+ game let me know !

Foxer
07-08-2014, 11:35 PM
Well that's what it's all about isn't it - community and coming together to share our passion for the sport. Big kudo's to steve and big congrats to fredo! :)

That ultra long range stuff is amazing - when you have to bring a deck of cards with you for something to do between the shot and the hit, that's just ridiculous :)

CanuckWR
07-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Well that's what it's all about isn't it - community and coming together to share our passion for the sport. Big kudo's to steve and big congrats to fredo! :)

That ultra long range stuff is amazing - when you have to bring a deck of cards with you for something to do between the shot and the hit, that's just ridiculous :)

Community. What a radical idea, it just might work too!

I would say the Alberta chapter is developing nicely. Time for the other provinces to start growing some get togethers and make connections. Nothing better than spending time with people who have the same interests and addictions. ;).

tigrr
07-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Good job Steve.
The long range game can get addictive. Started out shooting out to 500 yards back in 2005 and thought that was faaaaaaaaarrrrrrr. Armorman and I in 06 then stretched it out to a 1000 with Dmay and then steve and then it took off to a mile. Latest spot has a 3000 yard sight line. Went from a 308 quickly escalating up to a .338 lapua magnum. Reconsidering that 50 cal thingy, now I have to convince the shareholder I need one!!
Guess I now have to get a BC chapter going!!

Dr.Gixxer
07-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Fairly new to shooting and very new to long range. Getting a really good deal on a cheytac so I better start learning. Where around Edmonton is there a long range other than genesee

DOA
07-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Fairly new to shooting and very new to long range. Getting a really good deal on a cheytac so I better start learning. Where around Edmonton is there a long range other than genesee

There's a thread about the new Edson range. Sherwood Park has out to 300m

zulu
02-26-2017, 04:41 PM
I'm not new to long distance I just haven't done it consistently in 38 years. It is a perishable talent. My longest kill shot, (unconfirmed) was 2758 meters. I'm back out to 800 yards with a consistent 1/2" groups. Which as I find is very difficult as my eyes are not what they were, my body couldn't run the 100 yard dash, let alone the miles I did when I was in the "mob". So I'm not as steady. But it sure is fun.

As I'm into it, I'm really going to say with the hunting bullets etc, taking a kill shot at over a 1000 yards is really irresponsible. I do know it can be done, but really how many critters are wounded? Above all I believe one shot, one kill. I have taught my kids the same. If you are guessing on the shot, leave it. There is plenty of meat in the store.
Sorry its just my opinion and the way I hunt.

Lol what ever happened to this guy