PDA

View Full Version : RPAL interviews

greywolf67nt
06-05-2014, 12:50 PM
I have applied for my RPAL.
They called my first reference last Friday but not my wife or other friend yet.
Has any one else experienced this or did they call your references all at once?
I am just itching to get it in my hot little hands :)

Waynetheman
06-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Think you might be in the wrong section.

Haywire1
06-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Covered under legalities I believe. Once they recieve your application amd it is in processing, call in and ask to do your interview. Then have your references call and do theirs right away. This will speed things up immensely. waiting for them is next to useless as they will call once. If they dont get through to a reference they wont try again for a long time. If they have contacted your one reference then call them yourself.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

RimfireFans
06-05-2014, 04:09 PM
It took me ten months to get my rpal due to one of my references not calling the RCMP back.

It was nearly six months before they sent a letter saying my references were ineligible and asked for new ones. I replied back to them the next day. It took about a month for them to contact the references and it was three months from that point that I received it.

Shorty
06-05-2014, 07:38 PM
I just did the interview for my nephew the other day. They only need to interview 1 reference now, apparently. The interview took no more than 5 minutes. They basically asked the same question 4 times, just worded it different - "do you have any reason to believe _______ should not own firearms?"
When they interviewed both my references, they took 20 mins each.
Seems to be getting a bit more lax. Good in my books.

Malus
06-05-2014, 07:44 PM
I just did the interview for my nephew the other day. They only need to interview 1 reference now, apparently. The interview took no more than 5 minutes. They basically asked the same question 4 times, just worded it different - "do you have any reason to believe _______ should not own firearms?"
When they interviewed both my references, they took 20 mins each.
Seems to be getting a bit more lax. Good in my books.

I don't know about that. I took my RPAL last fall and my buddy told me that they asked the craziest questions. For example, "does he become agitated or excited when watching action movies?". When he told me this, I just did a face palm and shook my head. Both my references were called as well. Received my license in a timely fashion (all together maybe 2 months). My wife on the other hand, well, we're still waiting......

coastal
06-05-2014, 08:45 PM
I had a couple weird questions for a friends interview too like "Is he the type of person to solve a problem with violence?"

I must fart rainbows, my references weren't even called.

blacksmithden
06-05-2014, 09:34 PM
I had a couple weird questions for a friends interview too like "Is he the type of person to solve a problem with violence?"

I've been asked that one a couple times. I've been a reference for at least a dozen people. "Have you got a few minutes to answer some questions, or would you like to call back at a more convenient time ?" Uhhhhh...no....I actually want this person to get their license sometime within the next dozen years, so we'll get this out of the way right now so there are no excuses. LOL.

Same old questions that have already been posted....basically, they're asking you in a long, drawn out way, if the person is sane, stable, and not a risk.

speedloader
06-05-2014, 10:45 PM
yeah don't wait or you will be a year older..... call them and have your references call them
any excuse,and I mean any , will be used to delay it, don't give them one, once the references are done you've pretty much got it
when the web site says issued call again and get your number while its in the mail and then its all over but the shopping!

Wendell
06-06-2014, 05:15 PM
If you are waiting for a firearms license (or someone you know is waiting for one), and you think that enough time has passed, and you're wondering what the matter is, don't hesitate to call to ask about it.
There might be an issue - like a reference they need to speak with - that will not be resolved until after you call (and learn about it).

If you think you've waited long enough, just call them.

greywolf67nt
06-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Just called the RCMP they actually only did one interview and my card is on its way

superbrad
06-09-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't know about that. I took my RPAL last fall and my buddy told me that they asked the craziest questions. For example, "does he become agitated or excited when watching action movies?". When he told me this, I just did a face palm and shook my head. Both my references were called as well. Received my license in a timely fashion (all together maybe 2 months). My wife on the other hand, well, we're still waiting......

They asked my reference if I "became overly excited when watching playoff hockey".... He told them I was a leafs fan and never got to watch playoff hockey.... my card showed up 3 weeks later....

coastal
06-09-2014, 11:13 AM
They asked my reference if I "became overly excited when watching playoff hockey".... He told them I was a leafs fan and never got to watch playoff hockey.... my card showed up 3 weeks later....

Hahhaahah

Steveo9mm
06-09-2014, 11:53 AM
They ask whatever they feel like asking and interview who they want. They never interviewed my wife

Malus
06-09-2014, 02:21 PM

lol

6MT
06-10-2014, 07:23 PM

That is diligent research!

Malus
06-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Awesome! She was approved yesterday. Rode her ass to start calling and lo and behold, good to go......

ocbama
07-29-2014, 03:37 PM
They called both my references right after each other. Both were able to talk so it didn't take very long, PAL/RPAL was at my house 2 weeks later.

ROADGLIDE45
07-29-2014, 04:29 PM
One of my references was a LEO, they called him while he was enroute to an accident call. With sirens blasting in the background, they asked him "If Mr._______ ever told you he was going to harm someone, would you know who to call???"
He laughed, they hung up, got my RPAL 10 days later.

Gaidheal
07-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Different situation with me. I've been waiting *months*. Finally got the CFO's office to get some info out of Miramichi. Their story is they could not contact either of my two contacts by phone so the further claim that letters were sent to both and no word was heard back from either.

Complete and utter bullshit. I work with both references and neither got a call nor a letter.

I had one of them call and the reference was completed very quickly.

We'll see what happens next...

Wendell
07-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Different situation with me. I've been waiting *months*. Finally got the CFO's office to get some info out of Miramichi. Their story is they could not contact either of my two contacts by phone so the further claim that letters were sent to both and no word was heard back from either...

If you're waiting for a firearms license, and you think you've waited long enough, don't hesitate to call 1(800)731-4000 to ask about it. There might be an issue that - once known - you can help resolve.

Gaidheal
07-30-2014, 10:22 AM
The supposed issue was resolved the next morning after discovering what it was the night before with a quick phone call.

Well - the STATED issue was resolved. Too bad the issue was that the reference had to make the call. Miramichi folks made two firearms owners upset in one day! I'm sure they would be pleased to hear that from what I've heard of them.

lb1234
07-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Both my references were interviewed twice within in a week.
I must have been "special"
Got my rpal 2 weeks later.

Kobs
08-14-2014, 08:25 AM

How about " Did Mr. X ever told you or have you heard him say that he wanted to end his life"

kennymo
08-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Does it ever seem to anyone else that this whole process is completely made up on the fly? I had zero references checked for RPAL, including my wife. But the way every person seems to have a different story makes it feel like they're drawing ideas out of a hat. Or maybe there's a magic 8 ball running the show at Mirimichi....

Strewth
08-14-2014, 02:37 PM
Does it ever seem to anyone else that this whole process is completely made up on the fly? I had zero references checked for RPAL, including my wife. But the way every person seems to have a different story makes it feel like they're drawing ideas out of a hat. Or maybe there's a magic 8 ball running the show at Mirimichi....

I think it's more of a lottery idea...maybe based on speeding tickets or something? I had no reference checks either, which just shows the system knows who is a good looking, stable, kitten feeding person.

Kobs
08-17-2014, 06:47 AM
^^^ http://i61.tinypic.com/9q8xgo.jpg Yeah right !

Malin858
08-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Has it been 30 days? You can't really contact them until after 30 days

killer_chickens
08-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Earlier this month, my application was listed as "processing" on the RCMP site, and I was leaving for vacation right away, so I phoned them to see if I could do my interview before leaving. The lady told me that I didn't need to do an interview, and gave me a phone number, extension, and reference number and suggested I get one of my references to call them.

For what it's worth, she told me that the interview requirements are based on the results of the background check that's done as part of the process.

The reference said he had a bit of trouble getting a hold of the person at the extension, but the interview was all pretty standard violence related questions. It must have gone well, as the RCMP site now lists my licence as mailed. Good thing, as the PAL this RPAL is replacing expires in Sept.

Strewth
08-25-2014, 12:06 PM
^Very good thing.

Towards the policies of the system (and joking aside) I do wonder if their is an unwritten regulation regarding ignoring applications for 90 days or so; everyone who's ever posted a story about calling in after about 30 days gets taken care of expeditiously (word of the day) and politely.

killer_chickens
08-25-2014, 01:28 PM
My call definitely seemed to kick-start the process. The site had shown my application as "processing" for around 2 weeks before I called in, and it didn't sound like there had been an attempt to contact anybody at that point.

The lady was very friendly and helpful, I can't stress that enough. She volunteered the information about my reference phoning in, and the criteria for requiring interviews, without being asked.

Gaidheal
08-25-2014, 03:26 PM
For what it's worth, she told me that the interview requirements are based on the results of the background check that's done as part of the process.

I wonder what their deal is with me? I've been waiting more than a month AFTER the reference called in and nothing yet. I will call them tomorrow and see what's up.

Can't imagine they'd find anything on me that would give them grief - it's not like I'm even asking for a PAL to get my 1st gun... wife and I are both grandfathered for just about everything but full-auto.

LOL

Clinteastwoody
09-15-2014, 02:56 PM
They never called me for my Rpal just my references. I was expecting a call but it never came but my rpal did! woot!

FALover
09-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Never in the history of the FAC or PAL have any references been called. Neither have 2 ex wives been contacted. (or wife #3). I have just received my new license in the mail and the process was just under 5 weeks.

Gaidheal
09-15-2014, 03:44 PM
I got my license in the mail but it was wrong. Expecting the corrected on this week

Tactical72
09-15-2014, 04:56 PM
I was listed as a reference for two friends. I was interviewed for one of them. When I applied, I was interviewed, as were both of my references.

Dark-Knight
09-18-2014, 08:41 PM
I applied for my Restricted PAL on Aug 2nd, on Sept 9th the website showed that it was received Aug 8th and was in progress. I called in Sept 15th and asked if they had everything they needed. The lady said it all looked good, so I asked if it was possible for me to do my interview. She stated that it would not be necessary for me or my wife to be interviewed and told me just to get one of my two references to call in and quote my file number to do his interview. My friend called the same day, took less than 5 minutes to answer the questions. Next day I called in to ask if my reference had called in (even though I knew he had). I was told it was done and they just needed to scan my photo. Today the website shows my application as approved and that I should receive my license in less than two weeks.

Gaidheal
09-19-2014, 03:26 AM
My new one arrived this week with all my prohib classes.

Tbolt
09-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Congrats Gaidheal! at least that is over and done with.

Gaidheal
09-19-2014, 06:22 AM
Thanks!

Hopefully eveyone else will have a better go at their than I did. Sounds like it anyway. :Beer time:

Kobs
09-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Called in again today (day 67) the lady was nice as always but this time transferred me to the QC CFO, where another nice lady told me that she was going to leave a note so my application get processed more rapidly loll... yeah right. To me it seems that at one point you have to call in sort of to tell them that you still want that license. I'm guessing in a few days one of my refs will get a call. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wendell
09-19-2014, 06:38 PM
You did get a reference number for your application, right?

If you have a reference number, share that number with your people (who have yet to be interviewed) and ask your people to call 1.800.731.4000 (and to tell the operator your reference number) to be interviewed.

You all really don't have to wait for any more games of phone tag.

Gaidheal
09-19-2014, 06:47 PM
You all really don't have to wait for any more games of phone tag.

Bwahahahahahaha - do you work in the system in any capacity? Your comment makes me think you do.

*My* experience shows you may be wrong.

Kobs
09-22-2014, 10:32 AM
I just got off the phone with the lady for my interview, for those wondering it's about the same questions as the ones you answered on paper.
like have you ever been arrested for this or that, or have you ever been reported to the police for violence, have you ever been treated for mental illness or have you recently suffered/been treated for depression and cherry on the sundae have you ever thought of killing yourself LOL
Now all i'm waiting for is one of my Refs to be called which should be today Edit : they called both :)
Then a few days for Canada Post to deliver my new RPAL

EDIT: Current Status: Your application has been processed and your licence has been issued. If you have not received your licence within 2 weeks please contact the Canadian Firearms Program Toll Free number. (1-800 731-4000)
http://i62.tinypic.com/112fvv9.jpg

Clinteastwoody
10-02-2014, 04:22 AM
nice to see our government has great management skills like consistency, integrity, reliability, honesty and a systematic approach....ohh did i say management I meant mismanagement whooops but whos counting anyways...surely not the govt it took me 7 months for my rpal but I didnt call them. Shame on me for not pushing them to do what my tax dollars pay them to do ie their job. The issue date on the card differs by a month and a half from when I recieved it too.

Kobs
10-06-2014, 06:56 AM
^^^ You definitely HAVE TO call after you think it's past due, some peoples at Miramichi might tell you you have to wait but others will transfer you to the provincial CFO's office (that's what happened to me) and the lady there like i said in another post said that she was going to put a note on the paperwork for it to be processed faster .

As funny/bizarre as it might sound i do believe (here in QC any ways) that they're actually waiting for that call to go ahead with your paperwork as a sign that you want your license. After the initial 45 days stated on the web site or when you call and the lady at Miramichi says it's been sent to the provincial CFO, that's when you should start calling every 2 or 3 days. Mine took 3 months.

EDIT: Oh and by the way, if you think having your license in your hands is the end of the wait *buzzer sound* when you go get your handgun you will wait some more for your ATT long term and short LOL. And make sure you're already a member of a shooting club cause for some stores it's as important as the rest of your paperwork, otherwise you will be the proud owner of a handgun stuck in a store vault (raises hand)

RE Edit : Awww F*** just received a letter instead of my STATT, they're missing info about my membership to my shooting club. Seems it wasn't just the store wanting that membership proof. Hopefully they will be able to send it trough E-mail, i don't think i'll be able to wait any longer for that stupid paper.

I'm a victim of Murphy's law and my own newbie-ness, you have to have your membership card in your hands when you go buy your gun... noted

Gaidheal
10-21-2014, 02:17 PM
LMAO

One of my 2 references got a letter in the mail TODAY, due back before August 2014.

The letter they CLAIM to have sent out in June maybe? It's been so long I can't remember.

They must be so busy they don't know if they should sh!t or go blind.

Or maybe they are just not up to the task?

Gah!

Kobs
11-05-2014, 04:13 PM
?!?... they received a letter in september due back "before" august? I think you're going to have to make a call bro loll

Gaidheal
11-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Haven't gotten around to calling them to ask just WTF they do all day.

I'm in no rush at the moment as the license the letter was for was issued months ago now.

I really do think they are intentionally jamming people up to run up billable hours.

Sodburner
02-10-2015, 10:16 AM
It ticks me of that they put so much fear into the process and make you hang by your fingernails. I doesn't have to be this way, but clear communication take effort... so.... as we're dealing with the government that is most likely out of the question.

DeathSpok
02-10-2015, 09:18 PM
Geez, really sounds like the only thing consistent with everyone's experience is the inconsistency!

Just to add my $0.02, one reference was called, the other reference got a letter asking him to call, and I never once heard a peep out of them.

Rolandtwin
02-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Ya, my RPAL took almost 8 months. Both my references were called and asked the same question differently, "Do they have a concern with me having a firearm?"
I started calling them twice a month after month 4, just to make sure they did not need anything else, but all they ever said was the wait times were long and could not give me a date.
They issued mine last week and never once talked to me. BC by the way.

GunsNotPuns
02-11-2015, 12:15 PM
I must have a horseshoe up my rear because from beginning of processing to issuance of card was less than 45 days. Last week I called up the RCMP, which would have been about 30 days into it, got a reference number and was told to just get one of my references to call in. One did and about 10 minutes after the interview it was updated on the web site to say licence issued and I should have it within two weeks.

GunsNotPuns
02-16-2015, 08:36 PM
And card received today! I have to hand it to the CFP...they were reasonably quick with me.

shootemup604
02-16-2015, 10:05 PM
They never called my references at all.

bradzilla
02-18-2015, 08:38 AM
Only one of my references was called last week. They didn't bother with the others. My rpal took about 45 days after showing up online... (76 days since miramichi received application with test results attached)

Questions asked to my reference were very basic, "Do you oppose to him owning a firearm?, is there any reason why he shouldn't have one? etc... my application was very basic as well though, boring/vanilla/whatever you want to call it. No issues or law run-ins etc. Hope this information helps a little.

60falcon144
02-26-2016, 03:55 PM
Reviving an old thread, but does anyone know the extension for my references to use for their interview? Lady on the phone said for them to call, use the extension and my application number but i forgot the extension. I believ it was 25 something. This is for a non restricted by the way.

Reeferman
02-26-2016, 04:23 PM
My daughter in law had her RPAL in just over 45 days and I was the only reference that was called.

coastal
02-26-2016, 07:23 PM
My buddy just called me today he just got his RPAL with 2 divorces under his belt. Only took 3 months or so.

blacksmithden
02-26-2016, 09:06 PM
Reviving an old thread, but does anyone know the extension for my references to use for their interview? Lady on the phone said for them to call, use the extension and my application number but i forgot the extension. I believ it was 25 something. This is for a non restricted by the way.

WHAT ?!?!?! Now they're too lazy to call themselves ?!?!?! WTF ?!?!?!?!

ian745
02-27-2016, 10:06 AM
WHAT ?!?!?! Now they're too lazy to call themselves ?!?!?! WTF ?!?!?!?!

this would be one of the rare times they actually call for non restricted?. actually, i cant recall ever hearing about references being called just on the PAL, , usually they only contact them for RPAL only?, .. as for getting the number to call in first, it saves times by having the references call in as soon as they can , helps speed the process up

blacksmithden
02-27-2016, 12:23 PM
this would be one of the rare times they actually call for non restricted?. actually, i cant recall ever hearing about references being called just on the PAL, , usually they only contact them for RPAL only?, .. as for getting the number to call in first, it saves times by having the references call in as soon as they can , helps speed the process up

Mental note to self. On the next rpal renewal, where it asks for references, just write "I'll have somebody call you. The will reference this number: 123xyz. Please attach this number to my file."

sammar
06-10-2016, 01:46 PM
My References called in proactively. I hadn't heard anything or had been called for my interview. I checked the website and it said license had been issued please call back if you do not see it in 2 weeks. Has anyone else as a NEW PAL/R license applicant ever not been personally interviewed?

Lazagna
06-10-2016, 02:30 PM
My References called in proactively. I hadn't heard anything or had been called for my interview. I checked the website and it said license had been issued please call back if you do not see it in 2 weeks. Has anyone else as a NEW PAL/R license applicant ever not been personally interviewed?
Got mine in March and no calls at all, not even to my references.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Likeaboss
06-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Just one reference, and no personal interview.

TheCenturion
06-10-2016, 02:57 PM
No personal interview. One reference person. I asked if they needed to talk to my wife, and they said 'Nope, she signed your form, we're good.'

sammar
06-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Cool glad its all good then. Should have my RPAL very soon. Does minors PAL take longer?

labradort
06-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Cool glad its all good then. Should have my RPAL very soon. Does minors PAL take longer?

Minors PAL process varies depending on the province. In Nova Scotia I waited 3 months for my son's PAL to come in. In NS, there is an additional form which goes to the Dept of Justice indicating the mentor. When the NS Dept of Justice have OKed it with the RCMP, the PAL processing continues. It seems to add another 4 weeks to the wait. They should explain the process for your province at the completion of the course.

jfarnham
06-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Nice to see all the posts about only one reference being called; this just happened to me this week and I was worried they couldn't get through but I just checked the site and it says I should receive my license in two weeks. Awesome feeling.

Also; my application for the restricted course was lost in the mail and I almost missed the course. Someone dropped out so I got in at the last minute so to speak. This made me paranoid about sending in my RPAL application through regular mail so I sent it registered mail. Sent it June 1st and it was signed for in Miramichi on June 2nd! Three weeks later one reference was called and license is in the mail ;D

TheHydrant
06-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Don't let your reference admit that you don't like Trudeau. That will slow things down.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

greywolf67nt
06-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Nice to see all the posts about only one reference being called; this just happened to me this week and I was worried they couldn't get through but I just checked the site and it says I should receive my license in two weeks. Awesome feeling.

Also; my application for the restricted course was lost in the mail and I almost missed the course. Someone dropped out so I got in at the last minute so to speak. This made me paranoid about sending in my RPAL application through regular mail so I sent it registered mail. Sent it June 1st and it was signed for in Miramichi on June 2nd! Three weeks later one reference was called and license is in the mail ;D

22 days from receipt to issue? What happened to the MANDATORY 28 day waiting period from receipt of application? Did I miss something?

EDIT: Okay I just read the first page of the application and it says 28 days minimum for those who do not already have a firearms licence. This one was for your RPAL.