PDA

View Full Version : Ontario is registering long guns!!!!!!!!!!!!

jwirecom109
05-01-2012, 08:24 AM
OTTAWA - Ontario is telling sellers of shotguns and rifles to keep paper records of all the people who buy long guns at their stores -- a move one firearms advocate is calling a "back-door" long-gun registry.

The province's chief firearms officer has gun sellers writing down buyers' names, numbers and addresses.

"The long-gun registry was used to target gun owners and confiscate their firearms. That was one of the reasons for scrapping it in the first place,"said Solomon Friedman, criminal defence lawyer who specializes in firearms law.

"What we see here is nothing less than Ontario creating a back-door registry."

The feds scrapped the controversial long-gun registry in Canada when they passed Bill C-19.

"The passage of Bill C-19 ordered that all of the records of registration held by the chief firearms officer must be destroyed. This is a way of keeping that information," said Friedman.

Friedman said that since businesses check for a federally-issued firearms license before they sell any kind of gun anywhere in Canada, keeping tabs on who owns what kinds of hunting rifles at the provincial level is excessive.

The province's chief firearms officer, however, sees things differently.

In a letter obtained by QMI Agency, superintendent Chris Wyatt, tells stores to continue keeping paper records. He goes on to say that license checks have changed with the end of the long-gun registry.

"I believe it is desirable and in the interests of public safety that firearms businesses and the Chief Firearms Office take all reasonable steps to ensure non-restricted firearms are transferred to licensed individuals only," writes Wyatt in a letter dated April 10.

"Bill C-19 states that a person, which includes any business, may transfer a non-restricted firearm if the (buyer) holds a license authorizing (him or her) to acquire and possess that kind of firearm and if the (business) has no reason to believe the buyer is not authorized."

It's the "no reason to believe" part that's worrying the Chief Firearms Office.

"The old way of doing it, you would show your firearms license, you'd say, 'I want to buy that shot gun,' they'd punch your licence number into the computer and the computer would tell the business whether you can have that firearm or not," said Const. Wayne Johnson.

"Now, you can be a person with a prohibition, walk into a store, the store doesn't have to verify that you have a firearms licences. They just have to be satisfied that you have one."

Friedman counters that the law's wording mirrors the Criminal Code in that police seize a person's licence when a prohibition is imposed and stores can check licences through an RCMP hotline.

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2012/05/01/19700796.html

Redhouse
05-01-2012, 08:55 AM
They're taking full data down at stores here in Alberta too.

jwirecom109
05-01-2012, 08:57 AM

Seriously? I haven't heard that yet...

Edward Teach
05-01-2012, 09:16 AM
So some little dictator thinks he can make the law up as he goes along.
Was this turd a liberal appointee?

Prairie Dog
05-01-2012, 09:39 AM

I had to sign 'the book' when I bought my daughter her Savage Cub a week after the registry died. Good luck reading my signature.

harbl_the_cat
05-01-2012, 09:53 AM
I heard one of the owners at the Calgary Shooting Centre say that not much will change with the registry gone. They still take down all your information and if asked by the police will volunteer it to them. He didn't seem to care in the least about it either.

Thank goodness for private sales and gun shows though.

Canuck223
05-01-2012, 10:32 AM
For those too young to remember the days before the gun registry, this is nothing new.

Prior to the registry, firearms business had to keep a bound and numbered book. All guns were logged into inventory. When sold or otherwise leaving the stores control, the information about the buyer or consignment owner was entered.

The book stayed with the business, and was audited if and when the CFO decided. I believe the books were supposed to be forwarded to the RCMP eventually.

Like it or not, the CFO has the discretion to attach conditions to a Firearms Busines Licence.

mlehto
05-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Simple solution. Have someone else buy em.

They will never have a clue who has what.

connexion123
05-01-2012, 11:17 AM

connexion123
05-01-2012, 11:18 AM

50calshooter
05-02-2012, 10:56 AM
I heard one of the owners at the Calgary Shooting Centre say that not much will change with the registry gone. They still take down all your information and if asked by the police will volunteer it to them. He didn't seem to care in the least about it either.

Thank goodness for private sales and gun shows though.

It's not their fault, Dealers and Stores are still held accountable by the gov't for the guns they sell, they can be audited by police anytime. The reason for the records they take is not so much about you as it is the Dealer. The big difference here is that when you sell a gun privately you are not required by law to report said sale to the gov't.

Even with the data they take at the store level there's still know way the gov't or police can prove you still have that gun. The record they take becomes useless the moment you walk out of the store. They took my info when I bought my 22 and 45/70. I don't really care either...

Steve
05-02-2012, 11:07 AM
In Ontario, stores used paper ledgers and recorded the firearm type/model and ser. no. with the purchaser's name and address. After that, you signed.

For warranty purposes, it made any possible disputes moot. It was also done as an inventory aid and to track trends as well as the numbers of firearms were sold.

harbl_the_cat
05-02-2012, 11:30 AM
It's not their fault, Dealers and Stores are still held accountable by the gov't for the guns they sell, they can be audited by police anytime. The reason for the records they take is not so much about you as it is the Dealer. The big difference here is that when you sell a gun privately you are not required by law to report said sale to the gov't.

Even with the data they take at the store level there's still know way the gov't or police can prove you still have that gun. The record they take becomes useless the moment you walk out of the store. They took my info when I bought my 22 and 45/70. I don't really care either...

Yeah - a friend of mine bought from Proline - same deal, they took his information down as well.