PDA

View Full Version : Expired FAC to PAL question

McFarmer
06-08-2014, 10:49 AM
A friend of mine has expressed interest in getting his PAL but has a few concerns. Ive searched around and cant find the answer he needs so I hope you all can help.
His concern is that he acquired a few non-resticted firearms with his FAC a long time ago and did not register them when the gun registry was in effect. On the application, question 2a: if you are licenced, indicate the class of firearms you know possess, should he indicate anything, concidering he is not licenced with the expired FAC?
Also is he in trouble since he did not register the firearms or is there no worries since the registry is no longer around?
Thanks!

Bearweasel
06-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Well I am not a lawyer but I would advise your friend to say nothing about the firearms in question and simply come into compliance with the law ASAP. He is no longer officially licensed and the FAC counts for nothing now, but the RCMP have an understanding that some people are still trying to comply despite possessing firearms illegally. Don't indicate you have firearms under 2a if you don't have a PAL!

Rory McCanuck
06-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Firearms? What Firearms?
Get the license, and then "acquire" them.
No problems.
Just don't attract attention in the meantime.

McFarmer
06-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Should he mention the FAC? And thanks for the advice.

Rory McCanuck
06-08-2014, 01:13 PM
I would say not.
If he brings it up, someone might ask what happened to his old guns.
No reason to bring it up and encourage untruths.

Mil Specs
06-08-2014, 11:32 PM
The question clearly states IF YOU ARE LICENSED . He currently is not, enough said next question ... They will have records of his fac and anything that was registered at that time . IF nothing was registered then they will not have records and he would likely be fine . Telling the government you have had firearms and no license for the past 10-15 years is not a good way to start reacquiring a PAL imo.