PDA

View Full Version : getting match sponsers... prize table etc.

Westicle
06-08-2014, 09:29 PM
how do you guys go about getting prize sponsers for your 3 gun matchs, we are holding 2 this year and it seems to be a bear getting shooting sports companies to donate to the prize table.... one of our matches is june 19th so getting tight for that one but our next is the end of july.

what do you guys do ?? or club is giving us a budget of $1600.... we have 2 guns on the table and a bunch of small stuff and approx 40 shooters already lined up.....

stevesummit
06-08-2014, 09:55 PM
It's a tuff sell !! I just contact everyone that I see and hope for the best ! When there are lots of dealers to hit up spread the work out among the group. Having a good letter written up showing where the event is being displayed and the promotion your putting into it help also !

Word to the wise I have been burned by guys saying they will donate and have out the companies name up then they flop and don't send anything so wait till you have it in your hands before you put the name out in the forums !!

Strewth
06-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Have you talked to anyone out of the States? At the Lone Butte 3-gun they got a bunch of swag from Blade Tech?

Mil Specs
06-08-2014, 11:42 PM
Try some of the shops where you and other members spend the most money. If a customer comes in asking for prizes and they spend thousands of dollars a year at that shop they are more likely to feel generous as opposed to just some random guy sending off a form email/fax begging for a chunk of their profit for the year.Or try to stretch your buying capital,some dealers will let you purchase items at cost the dealer doesn't lose anything and they still support the local event .

Specter Arms
06-09-2014, 08:28 PM
It is good business for a shop to offer prizes. I used to secure prizes for Tri-Gun. The business owner I got gift cards from knew that people are likely to use the gift card and then spend extra on top of it. For the business owner, the money made and the publicity gained was a positive thing.

Specter Arms
06-09-2014, 08:32 PM
What are you looking for in terms of prizes? I might be able to help.

Drache
06-10-2014, 05:58 PM
If in a pinch go to local shops and stores. The pile of stuff local businesses will give away with their names on it can equal a small mountain. Local car club does it every year. Canadian Tire loves to give away stuff, they donated a shopping cart full one year!

Westicle
06-11-2014, 02:11 AM
we have between 30-40 shooters.... any prizes are awarded by random draw, it is a 3gun shoot following idpa scoring.... but not quite.

grande prarie, peace river and fort st john have commited to 2 matchs each this year in order to start a circut..... i just want guys to feel they got value for thier money, maybe my logic is flawed.... afterall we are not "ipsc" and most of our shooters expect little if anything.....

i hate asking for donations, even though i have the connections to probably get a ton of oil patch money.... maybe thats what i should do is hot up oil companies.....guiltily

Galt3gunner
06-11-2014, 02:52 AM
Try some of the shops where you and other members spend the most money. If a customer comes in asking for prizes and they spend thousands of dollars a year at that shop they are more likely to feel generous as opposed to just some random guy sending off a form email/fax begging for a chunk of their profit for the year...

This is what I have done. I try to rotate my requests so that I'm not hitting up the same businesses for each match. I never expect companies to give me high ticket items to give away - sometimes all I may get is a few promo mugs or store-logo'ed t-shirts and that is cool. I ALWAYS impress upon the shooters the importance of patronizing and thanking the sponsors, letting every shooter know that if they do this, it makes it more likely I'll secure even better prizes next year :)
We run the same kind of matches as what you are describing westicle, and award the prizes by random draw as well...our shooters certainly don't expect prizes but it is always nice to walk away with some swag! Good luck rounding up prizes. I hate asking for donations as well but your shooters will appreciate your effort!

TSE JR
08-12-2014, 10:12 AM
From the other side of the coin:

One of the biggest issues with donations is the lack of follow-up. I know we are always more willing to give and give better things to the organizations that actually send thank you's.

Also, its always good as competitors to mention after the fact that you saw the logo at the match and to thank the sponsor if/when you are in the shop or ordering online. This gives the company some type of measurable result and makes it far more likely they will do the same in the future.

Also, a proper "ask" letter is a must with all of the pertinent info: Who, what, when, where and WHY! But the actual ask should be done in person as much as possible, or at least with a personal call or email. Form emails most likely will get bounced.

Further, do not wait until the week before the event to ask. It makes you look mickey-mouse and the ask disingenuous.

Finally; do not hesitate to ask.

JR

50 B.M.G.
08-12-2014, 06:12 PM
From the other side of the coin:

One of the biggest issues with donations is the lack of follow-up. I know we are always more willing to give and give better things to the organizations that actually send thank you's.

Also, its always good as competitors to mention after the fact that you saw the logo at the match and to thank the sponsor if/when you are in the shop or ordering online. This gives the company some type of measurable result and makes it far more likely they will do the same in the future.

Also, a proper "ask" letter is a must with all of the pertinent info: Who, what, when, where and WHY! But the actual ask should be done in person as much as possible, or at least with a personal call or email. Form emails most likely will get bounced.

Further, do not wait until the week before the event to ask. It makes you look mickey-mouse and the ask disingenuous.

Finally; do not hesitate to ask.

JR

Agreed
Also understand that most businesses get flooded with requests for support. Many times to support something not even at all within the realm of what the business is involved with. Eg. getting hit up by the various trap and skeet clubs while being only a custom rifle shop will probably result in a nay, as to spend the money a sponsor needs to see some benefit. There is only so much a company can hand out in a given year. In order to give stuff away, the business still has to cover the cost, and to support a shoot well outside the area that the business is in seldom results in any return on the investment.

The more support a business sees from a particular group, the more likely they will be to support the group. The only time we see anyone from the local F Class group is when they want swag, all their work requirements however goes elsewhere.

Also to carefully document what is received is wise. I was asked by the good folks at McMillan as to why they never heard from the winners of the stocks they comp'ed to a competition they knew I had attended. The answer was because the stocks never made it to the prize table. The shoot organizer apparently needed the stocks. This sort of thing can go very poorly for others who now ask for support.

TSE JR
08-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Agreed
..... The answer was because the stocks never made it to the prize table. The shoot organizer apparently needed the stocks. This sort of thing can go very poorly for others who now ask for support.

This unfortunately seems to happen too often as well. I sometimes just show up to see the competitions or have a representative drop by and it is upsetting how often things we give are absent from the prize table.

JR

stevesummit
08-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Well I can honestly say that everything that showed up as a prize for my shoot was handed out ! Even the hat and hoodie Jesse brought for me got added into the prize pool sadly ! Having donated to shoots in the past it upsets me most when there isn't a thank you from anyone after the fact !

50 B.M.G.
08-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Well I can honestly say that everything that showed up as a prize for my shoot was handed out ! Even the hat and hoodie Jesse brought for me got added into the prize pool sadly ! Having donated to shoots in the past it upsets me most when there isn't a thank you from anyone after the fact !

I thought I saw you hand over a Cheytac to someone:)
Steve you got my support!

stevesummit
08-13-2014, 04:50 PM
I thought I saw you hand over a Cheytac to someone:)
Steve you got my support!

The only way some one would get the cheytac or snipetac from me is if they were on the loud end of them lol!!