PDA

View Full Version : Another Great Day

frankthedog
06-15-2014, 07:20 PM
The day before I came to camp this week the girlfriend, her 6 year old daughter and I went fishing as we often do. We went to a small local lake that is stocked annually, and has a decent donated dock to fish off. I rigged the young one's and my rod for fishing off the bottom (probably my most productive technique), the lil lady opted for a bobber (minimal attention, maximum suntan). There was a large school of sticklebacks hanging close into the dock, lol and the kid absolutely nailed them lol. She wanted no part of the trout in the lake, she would dip the worm in the water and wait for the sticklebacks to come grab on, then fling em' up onto the dock and into her tacklebox which she had filled up with water of course. No hook sets just little sticklebacks lock jawed on a worm lol, she was even getting two at a time on some go's. She filled her tacklebox up and dumped them back probably three times, in the time it took me to catch two very...very...modest sized trout. We spent probably three hours on the dock fishing and having lunch, then packed up and headed to one of our local rivers. No fish at the river, two bites that had me flailing across the rocks to no avail. But alas the young one has the time of her life searching up and down the banks between rocks and coming up with a handful of lost lures and flies. Even though I didn't catch a trophy, it will be remembered as one of the best fishing days I have ever had just seeing how much fun a kid can still have outdoors these days. She didn't ask about an ipad or a phone or Netflix once !...I guess what I am trying to get across is take a kid fishing, hiking, shooting...anything as long as it is outside.

Canuck
06-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Awesome story. She is a lucky little lady that you do this with her. She will remember this for the rest of her life.

harbl_the_cat
06-16-2014, 11:04 AM
That is an awesome story.

My wife and I were talking the other day about how important it is to find activities that we enjoy doing to get the kids interested.

With youth in general, our enthusiasm as adults towards an activity have a major influence on how receptive they are to said activity. I bet that little girl sensed your enthusiasm to fishing and that was a real encouragement to her.

Great job being a role model to a young person!

BrotherRockeye
06-16-2014, 11:16 AM
My 9 year old is an addict since she caught her first Walleye years ago.
She'd live in the boat if I let her and I have to drag her away from the hole when we're packed up after ice fishing.
Her younger sister isn't so dedicated, but wields the fish bat like Babe Ruth ;D