PDA

View Full Version : Rifle sling carry options

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Taken from my blog - http://bit.ly/KteduK - article images from Outdoor Life magazine.

One thing I have found over several years of hunting is that no matter what you try, no matter what you buy - carrying a rifle just isn't that comfortable. True a lightweight rig can save your back a bit, and a padded sling may ease the shoulder strain some - but you still need to move that rifle around and try it in different carries to be able to stand it for any length of time. The following article from Outdoor Life magazine details the pros and cons of the three main sling carries.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-dqFPKVfp0oA/T6BjMgqSt0I/AAAAAAAAAGs/7iSa4nHtA-I/s1600/Three+Ways+To+Carry.png

I have adapted my own style - it's kind of a mix between the European Carry and the African Carry. I keep the rifle pointed barrel ahead, but perpendicular to my shoulder. With a hand on the fore-end of the stock, I can balance the weight of the rig, manoeuvre around trees, bushes and rocks - and with a quick lift and half turn be in a shooting position that wraps the sling around my wrist, which I find helps to lock the rifle in the shooting position and help to steady the shot.

jwirecom109
05-01-2012, 04:40 PM
I go with the american carry myself

superbrad
05-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I like mine with the sling over my neck... pad on left shouleder and rifle crossed across my back.... have done that since the military when I had to carry long distance...

stevesummit
05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
as i drag my fat ass along on the course of a hunt, i find that i use all three methods finally ending up with the lets find a log and wait for the deer method !

50calshooter
05-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Frick last time I was in the bush with my MDT TAC21 (Heavy Pig) I had to walk back to camp about 5 miles... My god I thought I was going to die.

I had basically a single point setup, and had the sling loop wedged over top both shoulders, and it settled just above my triceps with the gun hanging in front and sideways. That was the only comfortable way I could carry the pig...

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-02-2012, 09:19 AM
One time I shot a big doe on some lease land I was hunting - about 3 miles away from the truck - by myself - and no motorized vehicles allowed on the property. So I rigged up some paracord to a branch, and started towing that heavy sucker back to the truck. Thank God there was a tiny bit of snow - helped with the drag a little. Anyhow, I finally made it back to the truck probably 3 hours later and was so exhausted that I just dropped the rope and stood there for a second catching my breath. Anyhow, I had my rifle slung over my neck hanging in front of me so I wouldn't get in the way while I towed the deer. I grabbed the rifle to pass it over my head, and in my exhausted stupor, slammed the trigger guard directly into my face splitting open my lips and cutting my gums. I sat down beside the dead deer, spitting blood and cursing the thing.
So ya - not a recommended carry option! Lol.

BrotherRockeye
05-02-2012, 09:37 AM
I prefer a saddle scabbard to those manual carry methods... :D

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I prefer a saddle scabbard to those manual carry methods... :D

pfft.. show off. ;)

FlyingHigh
05-02-2012, 06:26 PM
i find the American Carry the most comfortable, however I have missed a few shots because it's slow to bring into action. That said, I've worked out a way to spin the rifle off my shoulder and bring it on target incredibly fast. Not much good for stealth, but for a snap shot on a running animal, it works fine. I may put a video up some day outlining it.

I also have a Safari Sling:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_220723_003_01?hei=380&wid=380

It's all right, but the rifle tends to really bounce around alot. and the sling likes to snag on branches etc.

I'm starting to adapt the method of no-sling. I won't be using a sling at all this season.

Redhouse
05-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Camp Cook has one or more youtubes of him swinging a rifle around one-handed from sling to shooting position, I'll try and find it/them - he's obviously practiced a ton.

FlyingHigh
05-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Camp Cook's technique was what inspired me to try it with my rifle. I've tweaked it a bit to work for me.

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-02-2012, 09:16 PM
i find the American Carry the most comfortable, however I have missed a few shots because it's slow to bring into action. That said, I've worked out a way to spin the rifle off my shoulder and bring it on target incredibly fast. Not much good for stealth, but for a snap shot on a running animal, it works fine. I may put a video up some day outlining it.

I also have a Safari Sling:

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_220723_003_01?hei=380&wid=380

I know some guys that use a Safari sling - and love it. I have yet to try, seems like a good carry.

Looky
05-02-2012, 10:17 PM
I do all three and add one more.
I have found over the shoulder and bought one sling with the thumb loop
makes for an easier carry as well.
Stops the rifle from moving around and gives the one arm a bit of a rest.
Got my daughter who is just starting leather work to add a thumb loop to a
couple of my leather slings too.
Options are great out in the bush.
Age and aches starting to play the ketchup game.

gatesniffer
05-02-2012, 10:29 PM
I actually just bought one of those double slings for my varminter rifle"Savage Model 25" in 204. with a Vortex viper scope it probably weighs in at close to 10 lbs. The double sling is awesome.

BrotherRockeye
05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Camp Cook has one or more youtubes of him swinging a rifle around one-handed from sling to shooting position, I'll try and find it/them - he's obviously practiced a ton.

haven't seen the video but I'm guessin it's the ol' grab the butt and swing er up...been doin that for years on account of twitchy grouse as a kid.

JustBen
05-03-2012, 08:10 AM
I prefer the "American Carry" style, or if I'm hiking a long way, the method superbrad describes.

Yes, it is very slow to bring up to a firing position, but I take a bit of comfort in the safety and muzzle control. I always have my rifle closed on an empty chamber right up until firing anyway, so its going to take me a few seconds to be ready. I've missed out on a few nice animals, but that's hunting. It's more about the experience and the great outdoors after all.

superbrad
05-03-2012, 08:34 AM
I also like it slung across the back because it totally keeps both hands free for glassing if you are doing stalk and spot hunting... which is my favorite....

BrotherRockeye
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I know quite a few older fellas that prefer the "between the console and seat" carry... :D

BuckingFastard
05-03-2012, 07:04 PM
I know quite a few older fellas that prefer the "between the console and seat" carry... :D
yup that that one works pretty good

My self I like to carry light weight rifles when walking, and because of missed oppertunities with the traditionl carry techniques, I hold my rifle by the tang with my right hand and craddle the forstock in my left. It does get some what tiring but then again when im stalking (walking) in the bush im taking my time. you dont gotta walk 10 miles in a day to see game :)

Prince Jimmy
05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
A lighter rifle and the neoprene slings make a huge difference!! I like to carry over my left shoulder and I don't have any complaints with it being slow to unsling and get on target!

Candychikita
05-13-2012, 12:09 AM
thank you for this thread!

just got slings for both my shotgun and my rifle; not impressed with either but that's how the attachment points are set up on the guns themselves. was wondering why my darn guns were upside down - just wanted a little support when i'm shooting. figure i was looking for something along the lines of those safari slings vs what i picked up.

thanks!

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
05-13-2012, 07:09 PM
glad it helped!

Stephen
05-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Mine is always in my hands unless I am walking up a steep hill. Also Camp Cook is extremely fast in his videos.

bccanadian
06-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Check out this rig. It takes the gun out of your hands while hiking however it still gives reasonably quick access.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tr2FlMFof8s

Abashai
06-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Here's one of the Camp Cook video's. This is the method I generally use. American carry but pretty darn quick into action. You do have to be conscious of whats behind you though. Action happens just after 1:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8F51OIw8A0

OutdoorPursuitsCanada
06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
I use that carry quite a bit.

Aedomon
06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I generally use the American Carry if I'm packing one of my bigger rifles, but I'm not as fast as Camp Cook, thats for sure, though I'm a short guy, so I have to watch my barrel length on the swing...for this reason if I'm on foot in the thicker terrain I tend to hunt, I just leave the big gun in the truck and carry my '94 Winchester Carbine.

jaydog
06-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Add the "cross the chest with the sling over your neck/shoulder" to that list. I typically have a pack mountain hunting and am either travelling (use my sling) or hunting (always carry in my hands). It takes a bit to toughen up and get used to 9lbs in your hands all day but I find its easier in the long run.