PDA

View Full Version : Need help with mossberg

Drache
06-19-2014, 08:49 PM
Can anyone with a mossberg 590 please post a close up picture of their tube where it goes into the receiver. I'm just wondering if mine is supposed to have a gap.

Foxer
06-19-2014, 09:50 PM
you mean the barrel or the mag tube?

Drache
06-19-2014, 09:53 PM
mag tube. Mine seems to have a gap that appears it's not fully screwed in

FlyingHigh
06-20-2014, 02:51 PM
I have a 590A1 i can take a picture if wheb i get home from work if that will help. I think that part of the gun should be the same as a 590.

Drache
06-20-2014, 03:18 PM
I have a 590A1 i can take a picture if wheb i get home from work if that will help. I think that part of the gun should be the same as a 590.

Yup. The only difference is the barrel on yours is thicker and the trigger guard is metal.

FlyingHigh
06-20-2014, 05:18 PM
I'm assuming it's the extra threads you're referring to. Here's my 590A1. My mag tube is screwed right tight and I have an extra thread or two showing. I just checked my Mossberg Maverick 88 and it's the same, tightened all the way and a couple threads showing. My guess is they do that to prevent some numpty over tightening and stripping the threads.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/Steeliestalker/20140620_170206_zpsfgdimqfk.jpg

Drache
06-20-2014, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the help!

Having a problem with my follower/spring or something binding it up and every now and then making it hard to load a round into the tube.

Foxer
06-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Did you remove the 'stick' that limits the rounds to two? I don't know if that model does, but most of the ones i bought came with the mag limiter (for duck hunting) and it would sometimes fail to pass thru the hole it's supposed to be stuck in and make loading shells impossible. It's a straight tube - it shouldn't be able to 'bind' unless there's an obstruction i should think? (didn't leave a wrench or something in there when you had it apart didja?)

Deuce-deuce
06-20-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm not a mossberg guy so take this with a grain of salt.
I doubt it's the spring or follower. Could it be the shell latches?

Drache
06-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Did you remove the 'stick' that limits the rounds to two? I don't know if that model does, but most of the ones i bought came with the mag limiter (for duck hunting) and it would sometimes fail to pass thru the hole it's supposed to be stuck in and make loading shells impossible. It's a straight tube - it shouldn't be able to 'bind' unless there's an obstruction i should think? (didn't leave a wrench or something in there when you had it apart didja?)

This is a special purpose 590, 8+1 round capacity. :D

I'm not a mossberg guy so take this with a grain of salt.
I doubt it's the spring or follower. Could it be the shell latches?

Happens some of the times. Shell will go into the tube half way then it's like hitting a wall. Have to let the shotgun shell out a little then push it back in (sometimes it stops again other times it doesn't.

Seems to only happen if I try to load shells gently. If I really load them in fast and hard it works fine.

Deuce-deuce
06-20-2014, 11:24 PM
I'm guessing it's what I'm calling the shell latches. I just looked up the schematics for the 590. The shell latches are part 11 and 12.

FlyingHigh
06-21-2014, 08:18 AM
Could also be the follower. I had a similar issue with my Maverick, but usually when it was dirty. I invested in a S&J Hardware No Jam follower and it's been flawless ever since. I plan to pick one up for the 590A1 even though it's not an issue yet. Those followers are slick, plus the bright orange makes seeing if you're out of ammo as simple as catching it out of the corner of your eye.

Drache
06-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Could also be the follower. I had a similar issue with my Maverick, but usually when it was dirty. I invested in a S&J Hardware No Jam follower and it's been flawless ever since. I plan to pick one up for the 590A1 even though it's not an issue yet. Those followers are slick, plus the bright orange makes seeing if you're out of ammo as simple as catching it out of the corner of your eye.

Yeah I was looking into those as well. Was hoping to find one close to me here in BC so it would get here ASAP hopefully before I go to work but all the places selling seem to be back east.

SereneCarbine
06-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Take the follower and spring out completely and inspect.

The red S&J Mossberg follower is a good investment.

I haven't experienced any issues with my 590A1. Only one outing though.