PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Specific Laws?

BradenG
06-29-2014, 08:05 AM
do the gun laws in Alberta differ from the ones in Ontario? I heard there was some thing about having to belong to a range before buying restricted guns is that true?

Facepalm
06-29-2014, 08:08 AM
Yes that is true, and is not just Alberta specific but Canada wide. Whether it is enforced or not is another story.

Mad Hatter
06-29-2014, 08:10 PM
I would think too that depending on the province, many of the laws are open to interpretation by the CFO of that particular province.

FlyingHigh
06-29-2014, 08:22 PM
The only real difference in laws that I'm aware of is the fact that in Ontario, it's a legal requirement for a place of business to record your PAL info when purchasing ammo. Anywhere else in Canada, flash PAL, pay, leave with ammo.

Discharge bylaws will be municipal.

Other than that, firearms are federal jurisdiction and therefore the laws are Canada-wide.

blacksmithden
06-29-2014, 08:23 PM
There's no "law" that says you have to belong to a club/range to buy a restricted. To the best of my knowledge, this is something that the CFO's have come up with on their own.

ReignCzech
06-29-2014, 10:06 PM
alberta specific laws:

you get a horse and a handgun upon release from prison so you can ride out of town.
-it's true, it's still in the books.

blacksmithden
06-29-2014, 10:11 PM
alberta specific laws:

you get a horse and a handgun upon release from prison so you can ride out of town.
-it's true, it's still in the books.

There are days when I'd take that deal in a heart beat. LOL.

Foxer
06-29-2014, 10:26 PM
THere ARE some provincial specific laws in the wildlife acts of each of the provinces. For example - in ontario the rules around carrying a gun on crown land are VERY different than here in bc. And there are numerous discharge laws here in bc that may be different than other provinces. This applies to hunting but also to use of firearms on crown land, so if you're going to be shooting off the range or carrying firearms for animal defense be sure to be familiar with your provincial regulations.

conger
06-30-2014, 09:30 AM
There's no "law" that says you have to belong to a club/range to buy a restricted. To the best of my knowledge, this is something that the CFO's have come up with on their own.
When I bought a new handgun last year, had to fax a copy of my range membership to CFO's office to get my both STATT and again to get the LTATT. I'm in Alberta.

awndray
06-30-2014, 09:46 AM
The Firearms Act is federal. It applies to all of Canada and the laws are the same for everyone. The differences lie in the interpretation by the various CFO's and how they apply certain rules and regulations.

topher
06-30-2014, 12:10 PM
When I bought a new handgun last year, had to fax a copy of my range membership to CFO's office to get my both STATT and again to get the LTATT. I'm in Alberta.

That's not required here in Ontario. I heard that's an Alberta specific CFO bs thing.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

conger
06-30-2014, 12:31 PM
That's not required here in Ontario. I heard that's an Alberta specific CFO bs thing.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
BS is the right term for it.

Gunexpert007
06-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Not sure about the other provinces , but in N.B. , the CFOs office has been saying that there are only two reasons to have resticted firearms in N.B. ; either you belong to a range and use the firearm for target shooting , or you are a collector , and you need collector status if you want to buy and keep restricted firearms . If you do not fall into one of those two catagories......then the CFO may not approve the transfer of a restricted firearm.....

Grizz
07-17-2014, 07:46 PM

I just bought 4 pistols all at the same time about a month ago here in Alberta and was not even questioned if I belong to a range or not.

Seller gave his PAL number, I gave mine, was asked if I had appropriate cases and trigger locks for transport and was off to the races with all paperwork 4 days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk