1 small can crab meat
1 small package frozen lobster flavoured fish
4 slices bacon
1 stalk celery
2 potatoes
milk
water
some pepper

chop bacon and fry in heavy 4 qt pot, add some pepper corns, and chopped up celery,, fry until bacon is crispy,, set aside, don't worry about the bacon fat in the pot. In the same pot add water to just cover your chopped patoes and boil till they just start to tenderise, don't drain,. now add your can of celery soup and a can size portion of milk, stir and bring to boil, then to a simmer, add you cooked bacon, clams, crab, and frozen lobster, simmer 20-30 mins. serve..

I make this when we're camping because cans travel well,, sadly never any leftovers

hercster
07-07-2014, 08:03 AM
I don't have a recipe at my finger tips but I might use one from time to time as a base when I start mine. I often use what I have on hand. Of course I prefer fresh clams if they can be found but some varieties are like gold. I will use mussels to add to the mix and if I have a small piece of left over quality salmon, I'll cube that and add it for just a minute or three at the very end. Herbs like dill work very well and salt pork is always a good start. If you need salt at any point try using salty Thai fish sauce for extra flavour. One of our favourites at the table is good old fashioned Lea and Perrins sauce and oyster crackers by the handful. My creations may end up not being a clam chowder technically but they are always good. Time for breakfast!!

Tok-man
07-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Try adding some fresh dill... Awesome!

BrotherRockeye
07-07-2014, 09:52 AM
clam chowder is one of my favorites...worthy thread Bill!

hercster
07-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants cook but I do something every day. There's little end of small touches that add to dishes like a chowder, cream soup or cream sauce for pasta. One of my favorite things to do is start with very finely chopped shallots. They are one of the most flavoursome members of the onion family and used in many classic dishes. I dice 1-3 depending on size and also do the same with nice young carrots. The dice is around 1/4 inch and the half cup of carrot will add nice colour. Another ingredient that goes into all my soups, stews and sauces is a touch of habanero sauce; just an 1/8 th of a teaspoon or less will give a little heat and a lot of flavour to just about any dish.

Colour is also helpful so a chowder calls for parsley or cilantro. The latter is used a lot in the south and also has a mild peppery flavour. Mussels are almost always available to complement the clams. Once again, some nice colour to stimulate the eyes and brains at the table.

Great thread...... yummmmmmmmmmmm