PDA

View Full Version : Back into Fishing

awndray
07-13-2014, 05:35 PM
I'm not a complete newb, but it's been about 15 years since I've done some real fishing. Even then, I didn't really know what I was doing. So, how about a primer from some of the experience fishermen/women? My main interest right now is trout, walleye and catfish. Though I know of a few nice areas for carp pike and bass, the area I usually go canoe-camping is mostly trout and walleye territory. Catfish...well, that's pretty simple. I don't really need much guidance on that front, although a refresher on how to clean one would be nice.

YouTube is great for some things, but there is a lot of junk out there. I'm looking at re-kitting up. I know what I need to know about rods, reels and line. What should I know about leaders? What are some of the absolute must-have lures and bait? Thanks a bunch!

superbrad
07-14-2014, 09:00 AM
What are you up to this weekend?.... was thinking of heading up to sail and picking up a new rifle.... I could scrape you up along the way....

Basics:

-Soft side tackle bag with plano trays
-Open face spinning reel with medium light rod (I like Quantum personally and Berkeley rods)
-Hook holder
-Stringer
-Selection of wire leaders
-Hooks
-Spinnerbaits
-Buzz baits
-jig heads
-Assorted plastic worms / grubs / minnows
-Spinners (trout)
-Rapalas (floating, sinking, countdown)
-Assorted spoons for pike (Williams Wobblers, lucky strike etc.)
-5 of diamonds is a must have
-Fishing Knife
-Fillet knife

Catfish are a breeze to fillet... cut in and down behind the front fins and then slide your knife back towards the tail and stop before your knife comes out at the tail.... Flip the fillet over and cut the meat from the skin...

awndray
07-14-2014, 09:34 AM
Good, so I'm on the right track. I had most of those on my shopping list. My old rod and reel are still fine, as is my old knife and the few spoons I found last night. I already spooled the reel with some fresh new mono. I actually intended on replacing the old clunky box with some compact plano cases. I wasn't sure about the soft side bag, but I imagine it's a good idea to keep everything together. Good call on the soft baits and jig heads. I should re-stock those. I've always heard of the 5 of diamonds. Apparently it's very popular in these parts. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm headed out with the boys this weekend. Canoes, beers, steaks and fire. It should be a good time. It's on the Quebexico side (somewhere in here https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.9746256,-75.7266669,15z), so I'll have to get a non-resident permit, but I intend on trying for some walleye or lake trout.

:)

superbrad
07-14-2014, 10:13 AM
What?.... no invite?... lol

I am golfing Equinelle on Sunday so don't feel too bad for me....lol

If you are going for trout the rapalas are a must, get some Mepps spinners if you are doing shallow water / creeks....

awndray
07-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Heh! Nice.

Man, I did a quick stop at Canadian Tire last night when filling up the BBQ propane tank. Cripes, there are way too many lures and hooks to choose from. It'S enough to drive a newb away from fishing. It's insane! How is one to know which type or size hook of sinker to buy. How does one decide which crank or buzz bait to pick? I walked away because I'll just use what I had laying around at home for the weekend, but it's overwhelming to look at the walls of tackle.

superbrad
07-15-2014, 09:12 AM
The truth is that it all works..... just some better than others.... hook size depends on what size / type of fish you are going after.... You can't go wrong with silver, chartreuse and blue colored baits in my opinion.....

For pike I like red and white...