PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio - what do I need to know?

harbl_the_cat
07-16-2014, 10:57 AM
I want people on the firing line to feel the bass when I'm rolling up to the range - especially when I play my range pump up song: Destroid: Raise Your Fist (the entire Invasion album, actually - it's a 40 minute drive).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkGYwX2t-Os&feature=kp

I don't want to spend huge money and I don't need anything fancy - but I'd like a bluetooth deck I can connect with my iPhone and a speaker system some killer sound... in my sick 2006 Toyota Camry - but doesn't take up too much space.

What do I need to know? Where should I look to pick something up? Brands?

I need someone to do the install for me.

Is it realistic to get it done for under $500 (less is best)?

Prairie Dog
07-16-2014, 11:40 AM

Rory McCanuck
07-16-2014, 11:41 AM
If you want real bass, it takes volume (cubic inches, not 11 on the knob) unless you want to get fancy with bass cannons and other gimmicks. Some HDF fibreboard and a tablesaw and jigsaw will make a box easily enough. Subs don't really have to be high quality, just durable.

My '79 Grand Am was LOUD! Four 12' subs, a pair of 6x9s and piezo horns. You could hear that thing from over a half mile away in the city. Get within 30' however, you couldn't hear any music. Window trim rattled, gas tank, rear bumper, door skin, trunk lid, all you could hear was a continuous buzz. Couldn't keep a rearview mirror attached to the windshield...

Most of all that (plus some improvements) went into my brand new '92 Tercel; I think the stereo had more horsepower than the engine. Lent the car out and someone stole the stereo. Cut himself pretty badly on a couple of "suprises" as well :)

RadShack used to be a good source of less expensive components, not sure if they are any more? You might be able to put it together for $500, but I doubt you could get it installed for that. Maybe a case of beer for a local young punk?

And now I wear plugs under my muffs whe I go to the range...
Too soon old, too late smart. Smh.

topher
07-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Remove your spare tire.. Mount a 15" jl there.. Build a box add 2 tens... In your trunk... Add a 1500 watt redline amp... That'll make your trunk rattle off... ;) for a deck get something you like...
The 15 will give a nice low rumble... The 10's will give you the bass "punch" you could even go 8" if you want...
If I had known about guns when I was 16+18,,I'd have a sweet collection... Instead I wasted my money on car audio... Don't forget when running that kinda wattage you will need to install capacitors too help the amp....

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

harbl_the_cat
07-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Well - here's how I listen to my music right now:

Stock factory speakers and this:

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_48599_1.jpg

I crank the volume to max - and it's pretty loud, but sounds like crap and the bass sucks.

The bass cannon is a pretty big meme in the Brony community... what is it (besides some sick songs/pony meme)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3cE9iXIx9c&feature=kp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-l9uYZf_c8

Doesn't look like I'd be able to fit my range bags in there:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/092/7/2/vinyl_scratch_s_bass_cannon_car__torana_ss__by_che vrolet_evilimpala-d606wgf.jpg

Swampdonkey
07-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Under $500, assuming you supply your own labour, start cruising pawnshops and craigslist and you'll be alright.

If you're serious, start with a high-output alternator, run direct from the battery, and run with it.

lone-wolf
07-16-2014, 02:40 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cORN062iiDu/lg_399/Car-Speakers-How-To-FAQ-and-Shopping-Guides.html

topher
07-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Under $500, assuming you supply your own labour, start cruising pawnshops and craigslist and you'll be alright.

If you're serious, start with a high-output alternator, run direct from the battery, and run with it.

Put an online fuse... Right at your battery.... And run a good large wire 2 aut should be good... They aren't hard to install.
It's hard to install your own and keep it neat and tidy... Running wires to amps in the trunk... Under carpet... Etc..

lone-wolf
07-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Some idiot ran a 2 aught (or close) wire from the battery to the back of an suv, without a fuse, sold the rig, and it just happened to short out one day and filled the vehicle with smoke while my friend was driving her two kids around.

Shorty
07-16-2014, 05:49 PM
With your budget you are not going to get what you are looking for, sorry. You can get a deck / install and an amp kit and not much else.

Good news? It isn't that hard to install a whole system yourself with a little research.
Always, ALWAYS fuse any wire you run. Keep in mind the fuse is not to protect your amp (it has it's own fuse(s)), it's to keep the wire from becoming a toaster element. Put is as close to the battery as feasible. The fuse should be sized to the wire gauge and length of the run. I don't find hiding wires all that difficult, just take your time. Use the same size of wire for your ground. Whether drilling a hole in the firewall, or using an existing one, make sure to usea rubber grommet.

Hmm... What else?
Capacitors have their place, but are largely sold as band aids (poor ones at that). Stay away.
High output alternator... At 500 bucks to work with, an alternator is not in the cards.
You can upgrade the "big 3" (Alt + to batt +, batt - to chassis and engine to chassis). It will help a lot with voltage drops. Just pick up some extra wire (same gauge as you are using for your amp) and terminals as needed. Cheap and easy. Note: do not remove the existing wires, add to them.

As for equipment, it's really going to come down to what you can find in the price range. Bluetooth decks can be had cheap. The big money will be spent on a sub/box and amp. If you truly want to feel it - as said - you want big driver(s) and lots of power. You must have some supporting mods first though. An alternator, big 3, big power / ground wires (based on what you need to feed the amp of course). And then you have big bass, but can you hear anything else? Time to get some speakers and an amp for them too...

SIR VEYOR
07-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Another option is wireless speakers. Since you have the iPhone, lots of options and can blast while at the range line!

There are "outdoor" options and water resistant ones, etc. Get some RAM mounts (they help minimize vibration from the vehicle) and they'll be more durable than you would expect. Big sound in compact size, BOSE is a really good option.
With mag mounts, you could even mount to roof like the old detective shows and their lights to the roof when you're ready to announce your presence.

I realize I'm suggesting using more "home theater" style gear than "car audio", but at $500, gotta be creative. Throw in a good power inverter, maybe even a hard wired one, and lots of options become possible.

JustBen
07-16-2014, 07:29 PM

Pawnshops and kijiji are the best place to start. Know what you're buying and how much it's worth before you shell out for something that you think is a good deal.

Get a solid single subwoofer to start with dual 4 ohm coils, wire it down to 2 ohms, and find a good single channel amp. To maximize space, build a fiberglass sub box to fit the contours of the trunk.

mavrik9
07-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Sounds like most of us spent far too much in car audio when younger. I had all Kenwood that was in the thousands of dollars, I look back now and wish I had not spent that much. But with 500 you could upgrade your speakers to good quality 6x9s, that will give you a better quality sound. Not the bass you are looking for, but its a start. Then save up again and you can get a pretty good deck with another 500.

I.C.R.
07-16-2014, 10:18 PM
I dunno, I'm 45 and have a jeep yj... my entire town can hear my stereo when the tops off :D
fantastic at bush parties and pig roasts.
I have 2 batteries and an isolater unit
I think the system might be worth more than the jeep LOL
under 500.00 OP?
you'll get no quality sound without spending at bare minimum 3 times that
my amps and crossovers alone would run a guy into 3grand new easy.
ya.... I'm one of those guys that rolls by yer house with the bass thumpin so hard with the metallica that yer dishes shake on your table ;)

Rory McCanuck
07-17-2014, 01:11 AM
Sounds like most of us spent far too much in car audio when younger...
If I knew then what I know now ;)
But Tone Loc and Salt n Pepa sounded pretty cool bouncing off the buildings downtown.
The beginning to Faith No More's Epic used to make the world buzz and hum.
Just listened to the whole album for the first time in years. Thanks for the rememberies.

Facepalm
07-17-2014, 07:40 AM
what are you putting it into?

Just changed the deck in my white pick-up to a pioneer, my other pick up has a Bose system and my mustang has a Shaker system. The 'stang has a far superior sound system. If you really want to do it right and want to spend time, I designed my own speaker system for home audio. Designed for 1,000 watts with a resonant frequency of 8 HZ, they start at 12 hz and go to 72,000 +- 2db. McBride speaker out of Waterloo supplied the speakers and took the design and sold it to McIntosh. The crossover is entirely my design.

So for your car you may need to do your research, BTW, if you can't guess, I'm an audiophile.

harbl_the_cat
07-17-2014, 11:14 AM
2006 Toyota Camry...

Wow - car audio is so crazy... thanks for all the info guys.

I knew a guy who used to scoop up old speakers (home and auto) on Kijiji... I should get in touch with him.

Donny Fenn
07-17-2014, 07:47 PM
save your money and spend it on guns, seriously, you might as well hang "truck balls" off your car as the money will be down the toilet either way...
and yes i too had a car audio phase, hence the above statement

Swampdonkey
07-18-2014, 12:17 AM
With a newer, more luxurious car like yours I'd hesitate on cheaping out or jury-rigging a monkey miscarriage together from pawn parts. Most of our suggestions are suited to Jack Black's van from School of Rock.

Still, another possibility is to use an old home enertainment unit and run it off an inverter. My 87 Volvo 240 had that.

topher
07-18-2014, 07:37 AM
save your money and spend it on guns, seriously, you might as well hang "truck balls" off your car as the money will be down the toilet either way...
and yes i too had a car audio phase, hence the above statement

As one who wasted thousands on car audio. I strongly agree.. It doesn't raise the value of your car for resale much.. If any. Might as well send me the cash.. If you font want to buy guns... I need a new a tree stand... And could use a new 22.. And a .243.. Also my restricted license... The amount your gonna have to through into you car... Will more than cover those expenses for me.

ReignCzech
07-18-2014, 08:19 AM

Put an inline fuse... Right at your battery.... And run a good large wire 2 aut should be good... They aren't hard to install.
It's hard to install your own and keep it neat and tidy... Running wires to amps in the trunk... Under carpet... Etc..

if you are ruunning off of just the vehicles battery and upgraded alternator , you should but a deep cycle battery or better a second deep cycle battery to run off of, also you should put a capacitor ( 1 farad or more ) at prior to a power distribution block ( if multiple amps, or one cap each amp depending on the wattage output In real RMS and loaded at 2 ohms down )

decks, and components are cheap at pawn shops.

harbl_the_cat
07-18-2014, 12:17 PM
Hmmm... I think I should just put in a deck and go from there.

Really, I just want to be able to listen to music on my phone while I'm driving and not have it sound like an EMP's gone off when I drive near a powerline.

I'd like some sick bass and clear sound - but not at the cost of more than 2200 rounds of .223.

lone-wolf
07-18-2014, 03:53 PM
I'd upgrade the factory speakers with whatever sounds good at future shop, get a bluetooth deck you like, and a basstube like this:
http://www.mtx.com/rt8pt-bass-tube-car-subwoofer

Nothing crazy, does that sound better than stock audiophiles?

I.C.R.
07-18-2014, 03:58 PM
I'm no pro installer hehehe
more of a trial and error DIY
but find yourself a decent deck with a subwoofer control and preout
run 4 speakers off your front rear standard output wires.
get yourself a crossover and amp to run 2 10" subs ( having 1 sub is a complete waste of time)
build yourself a bandpass box (google)
you shouldn't need a separate or additional battery but I agree with a deep cycle for sure.
also, don't run a capacitor unless you notice dimming in your headlights

MUCH opinion on "to use or not use" capacitors on the various forums out there
I don't use them.
I would think 4 speakers to put in doors/dash ect to run off the decks speaker outs and a homebuilt bandpass with some subs, amp/crossover to match could probably be found for 500 to 800 at a well stocked pawn shop. Panasonic, alpine, pioneer, fosgate, hmmmmmm lots of good stuff.

in my jeep I need a high volume quality sound emitting system or I just can't hear it with the top off or over the road noise with the top on LOL
some of us just need tunes when we are driving and a crappy sounding system at volume just will not do :D

Hmmm... I think I should just put in a deck and go from there.

Really, I just want to be able to listen to music on my phone while I'm driving and not have it sound like an EMP's gone off when I drive near a powerline.

I'd like some sick bass and clear sound - but not at the cost of more than 2200 rounds of .223.

Rory McCanuck
07-18-2014, 07:04 PM
I'd upgrade the factory speakers with whatever sounds good at future shop, get a bluetooth deck you like, and a basstube like this:
http://www.mtx.com/rt8pt-bass-tube-car-subwoofer

Nothing crazy, does that sound better than stock audiophiles?
Actually, that looks like a decent way to get started.

This universal amplified enclosure was designed for new enthusiasts looking to experience what adding great bass to their music sounds like, and for those hard core bass fans who unfortunately had to grow up and can no longer drive around with three 15" subs in their trunk.
I remember the first time watching a commercial, a cool tune comes on, and they're selling a Dodge Caravan.
Something inside me died that day :(

Swampdonkey
07-18-2014, 07:14 PM
I remember the first time watching a commercial, a cool tune comes on, and they're selling a Dodge Caravan.
Something inside me died that day :(

Minivans need speakers for the pregnant housewives to sing along with "Love makes the world go round".

Silly working man, that money's not for you!

a1dookie
07-19-2014, 04:31 PM
Don't go to future shop or best buy, you'll get garbage, $500 will not get you shaking the earth, trust me on this your best bet for that budget is buying last year and the year before models, don't buy used because more than likely they have been abused, check out the flea markets the known brand of old like pioneer and Kenwood will get you some umph but nothing bombastic made in China generic stuff like the boss audio and stuff like that will not last long. There is soo much stuff out there there really isn't advice to give but ideas, up your budget and wait a few months end of the year or start of the new year and you get really good deals in the us from real audio shops clearing out the previous years inventory that's what I did. Any questions or recommendations just ask

lone-wolf
07-19-2014, 05:05 PM
wait a few months end of the year or start of the new year and you get really good deals in the us from real audio shops clearing out the previous years inventory that's what I did. Any questions or recommendations just ask

What are some good US audio shops? How's their shipping rates?

a1dookie
07-19-2014, 10:13 PM
The online stores don't and cannot carty the good stuff, no warranty from manufacturer, look up the brands that you're interested in and check out their dealer locator, I usually incorporated these purchases into a vacation. Digital Design has a few dealers in Canada, and the Rockford Fox gate power series is available here as well. There is a few others it all depends on what you want to do, my preference is Mmats pro audio, but two kids don't allow for it anymore

harbl_the_cat
07-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Interesting... I have a road trip to Idaho/Washington state planned sometime in the future...

Shorty
07-21-2014, 06:30 PM
I must say, on the capacitor debate - a good test to see if you would benefit from one is this:

-Get a test tone (say 30Hz. 0:30 long or whatever) put it on cd or phone or how ever you can play it on the head unit.
-Play this test tone at 3/4 volume (this is usually where you set your gain on the amp).
-If your head lights dim for a moment then go back to normal while the tone is still playing, you could benefit from a cap.
-If your head lights dim and stay dim for the duration of the test tone, you have other issues to fix first (Big 3 upgrade first, re-test. Then bigger alternator).
Note: Your alternator will not put out its rated amperage at idle. You could re-do the test at say 2500 RPM and see if things improve.

Adding a cap and more batteries (which are LOADS) to a system that already has problems maintaining charging voltage (13.8VDC or higher) will only serve to amplify the problem, pardon the pun.
As with any repair, a proper diagnosis of the problem leads to a proper repair.

harbl, the best advice I have for you in regards to picking our a head unit are go to a local audio shop - not Visions or other BS chains (another rant, for another day). Get a salesman to show you some decks they have on display in your price range. Play with them, see what you prefer as far as interfaces go. Confirm with the salesman that the deck will do everything you want. Usually the price on display includes install, which seems the way you want to go. I have a local shop that I really like dealing with. Honest people, great prices and great customer service. I do what I can to keep my money local, within reason.

Let us know what you end up with.

killer kane
07-21-2014, 08:57 PM
And wire, don't forget that wire is wire, I laugh at the scammed people paying mega bucks for some super audio wire? When stranded same size cheaper stuff which is the same stuff, sits next to it.

Foxer
07-22-2014, 08:27 AM
Car Audio - what do I need to know?

I'll tell you what you need to know - you need to know that if you park your car in my back alley at 3 am blaring the thing while you screw around with something there's a fair to middlin' chance of something bouncing off your hood!

(Sorry - minor incident last night :) )

a1dookie
07-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Interesting... I have a road trip to Idaho/Washington state planned sometime in the future...

Google is you friend, see what looks like it's what you're looking for and check out the reviews, also youtube. You can also bring it back on here, and for the other dude, you don't need a CAP waste of $ get a couple deep cycle batteries, and you should be good with a stock alternator, if you have the extra $ a high output alternator is not a bad investment.