PDA

View Full Version : Question for Army/CF peeps

mtlgun
07-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Hiyo and thumbs up to our service people. Question for you please.

A buddy of mine just got back from a short vacation in the States. Although not as much fun as years past when you could bring stuff back without all the hassle he did manage to score some super

clean 50 Cal ammo cans. The store he was at had them stacked 20 feet high he said.

This got me to thinking however. Of the 6 or 7 cans I've picked up over the years I think only one might be Canadian. All the rest are U.S. Do we get our ammo delivered in paper bags or cardboard

boxes to save pennies or is this a case of Big Bubba being paranoid and not wanting to sell fun toys to us mere mortals.

thanks and have fun

Haywire1
07-22-2014, 12:02 PM
The Us simply buys a heck of a lot more ammo than Canada. Hence a lot more cans hitting the surplus market. I have seen plenty of Canadian ammo cans over the years

Jay
07-22-2014, 12:56 PM
It would be nice if some of that General Dynamics surplus ammo hit the market. I mean, why are we stuck with XM33 and Hornady A-Max? Where are the Canadian 50BMG surplus? Nothing wrong with the A-MAX but it's just so expensive.

normmus
07-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Our ammo cans get re-used.

Billythreefeathers
07-22-2014, 04:54 PM
It would be nice if some of that General Dynamics surplus ammo hit the market. I mean, why are we stuck with XM33 and Hornady A-Max? Where are the Canadian 50BMG surplus? Nothing wrong with the A-MAX but it's just so expensive.

I'm pretty sure there is no surplus of Canadian 50cal,, it's hard enough for Army units to get it :D

Haywire1
07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Pretty sure the OP was refering to the cans themselves, not ammo

Petamocto
07-22-2014, 07:48 PM
All ammo comes in proper hard packaging, whether it's small arms ammo, medium ammo like LAVIII 25mm, or heavier tank/arty rounds.

The only thing that comes in cardboard are the 30-round 5.56 boxes (3 x 10-round clips), but even those still come in a metal ammo can (a lot of boxes per can, with a mag charger). 5.56mm link, 7.62 link, and .50 cal link all comes in ammo cans, too.

mtlgun
07-23-2014, 04:42 AM
Just my luck the CF are recyclers. I'll have to cross my fingers that the next time I'm down south I find a few nice one's to add to my collection. thanks for the help all.

Jay
07-23-2014, 08:40 AM
Pretty sure the OP was refering to the cans themselves, not ammo

yes but like I said, it would be nice. The GD factory is a stone's throw.

Fusilier
07-23-2014, 12:17 PM
We've had to turn in fired brass, belt links, ammo cans, grenade pins, pretty much any part of a round that didn't go down the barrel, for years now.

What is a real crying shame is that once a full sealed ammo can is opened, any rounds that are not used are typically returned to the depot for disposal - meaning burned in the furnace. This goes for blank as well as ball ammo. The 'excuse' is that once the rounds are out of a can, their lot number is no longer reliably marked and if there is a problem with a round, they cannot trace it back to the lot and therefore identify any potential problems. Units only hold limited amounts in their TDMs (temporary depot, munitions (If I recall correctly)) and only for a limited time before it has to be either used up or turned back in to be wasted / burned.

Billythreefeathers
07-24-2014, 01:25 PM
We've had to turn in fired brass, belt links, ammo cans, grenade pins, pretty much any part of a round that didn't go down the barrel, for years now.

What is a real crying shame is that once a full sealed ammo can is opened, any rounds that are not used are typically returned to the depot for disposal - meaning burned in the furnace. This goes for blank as well as ball ammo. The 'excuse' is that once the rounds are out of a can, their lot number is no longer reliably marked and if there is a problem with a round, they cannot trace it back to the lot and therefore identify any potential problems. Units only hold limited amounts in their TDMs (temporary depot, munitions (If I recall correctly)) and only for a limited time before it has to be either used up or turned back in to be wasted / burned.

Opened cans of ammo when returned,, the ammo is inspected, counted, then the can is resealed for re-issue.

The only disposal by destructive means would be obsolete ammunition, or ammo that has become un-fireable I think the Ammo wing in Dundurn has a disposal range.

Fusilier
07-24-2014, 01:29 PM
Then it sounds like they've changed the process. Or different areas did it differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk