PDA

View Full Version : Got my 6.5x55!!! What a deal! **Updated With Range Report**

mlehto
05-03-2012, 06:06 AM
So I was on the hunt for a new deer/bear gun and originally had my mind set on a 270 wsm.

I contacted a seller about a Leupold VX II 2-7x33 he had for sale, thinking that would be perfect for the 270 wsm I was probably buying. Seemed like a great scope for a good price, and a good enough guy, so I made an offer on the scope and he accepted.

In the meantime however the deal with the 270 wsm was looking worse and worse as I explored ammo availability and cost, and I started to actually look into ballistic comparisons at the same time to see what all the hype was about. In the end I decided that the 270 wsm wasn't gonna be for me as I didn't need a rifle in my safe I couldn't afford to shoot, and that a .270 or possibly a 6.5x55 would be a good option.

So I went back the the seller of the Leupold and explained my predicament and low and behold he had a few guns he waas gonna put up on the EE in the next while. He sent me some pics, and I was sold! I had been on Tradex looking for something cheap for a long time but it wasn't gonna compare to what I got.

So here she is. Carl Gustav Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55 with a Leupold VXII 2-7x33. Chopped barrel with a target crown, and new front sight were just a couple added touches.

What do ya think? Did I do alright? ;)

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/2012-05-03_07-48-46_279.jpg

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/2012-05-03_07-49-18_946.jpg

normmus
05-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Yeah you did good. If for some reason you decide to sell it let me know :)

mlehto
05-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Yeah you did good. If for some reason you decide to sell it let me know :)

That is just it.

I knew if for any reason I wasn't happy I could always sell the gun and keep the scope.

I will have it out to the range this weekend, and see how she shoots.

She apparently shoots well, and if thats the case this gun will probably be the best $275(minus scope) I ever spent.

jonanddad
05-03-2012, 06:53 AM
Very nice!

superbrad
05-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Very nice....

Redhouse
05-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Yup, most of those old Swedes are great shooters. I had a really nice non-bubba'd one that was a helluva shooter, but I can't see over irons and it was too nice to drill it for mounts. 6.5x55 is a spectacularly good round!

Rory McCanuck
05-03-2012, 10:25 AM
I've been thinking about getting a 260, 6.5x55 or even a 7/08
All similar ballistically, but you can get a very nice Swede for
a whole bunch less, and a better built gun to boot.
Congrats, and let us know how it shoots.

bellero
05-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Nice rifle Mark, good purchase.

mlehto
05-05-2012, 03:55 PM
So today was range day, and a nice one at that.

The stock, and eye relief situation is not bad at all. On 2x's I don't see any issues, and really don't notice till it gets up to 5x's and up that I have to lean into the scope a bit to get proper eye relief. Standing it really wasn't an issue, but on the bench I had to adjust a little.

Not really a big deal as I will likely have this set on 2x's indefinitely unless I am up in a stand for bear season, and then there is really no issues adjusting and taking my time.

Anyways, the scope is a Leupold VXII 2-7x33. The reticle on this scope is new to me. It is a 1 MOA dot I believe, so not really ideal for any precision shooting, but that really isn't it's purpose. I thought about putting a higher magnification scope on it to test the accuracy, but with the crappy ammo I had there was really no reason, or so I thought.

Here is a pic of the reticle in case anyone is wondering.

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/reticle.jpg

Now I have two more excuses I was ready to use had things gone badly. One, it was very windy today, and two, I don't have any vice, or proper bag setup to actually show the true accuracy capabilities of the rifle. So I ended up shooting off of a wooden block, and using my sweater as a rear rest.(Which made me cold as it was so windy. ;)) I guess I will take some of the credit for my shooting ability then. ;)

Rifle functioned fine, but really takes a good solid pull on the bolt for it to eject reliably.

Great gun, and for the price I got this thing for I am very pleased.

It was pretty busy and I only had a box of ammo, half of which was wasted getting her sighted in. I don't have a spotting scope so it was I was using my .22's 12x scope to try and spot hits, but on these red targets those little holes are hard to see. Didn't get a chance to get down and get pics of the last couple groups, or the couple 100m groups I shot with the Savage MKII, as it was so busy I just didn't want to wait for a target change, but I got the worst and best from what I could tell.

Gun - Carl Gustav M38 Swedish Mauser - 6.5x55
Ammo - PPU 139 grain FMJ
Scope - Leupold VXII 2-7x33
Distance - 100m - 3 shot groups

I should also note that those squares on the targets are actually smaller then an inch! ;)

Worst group of the day:

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/Sede-Worst.jpg

Best group of the day:

Measures 1.145 edge to edge, minus the .264 bullet diameter leaves it at 0.881 inches! :D

http://i801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/mlehtovaara/SwedeBest.jpg

All in all I am pretty damn happy with this gun. It will be interesting to test some other ammo, but the factory soft points are pretty expensive, although PPU does make some in the same grain weight. I am not sure I am gonna start loading for this round, as it isn't gonna be a bench gun by any means, and I am not sure with the scope setup that I am gonna be shooting it all too often, but we will see.

And Norm, I think I am gonna keep her for now. :p

normmus
05-05-2012, 04:32 PM

When you come to your senses and decide to get rid of that bubba'd piece pf crap, I call dibs:)

PhatKD
05-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I love my Browning 270WSM with the VXII. Synthetic stock with stainless...I have had it for about 6 years now and it has killed a pile of 4 legged critters. Some were tasy, some were not. You have a nice gun there, and the price it good as well! Congrats

Rory McCanuck
05-07-2012, 12:19 PM
It will be interesting to test some other ammo, but the factory soft points are pretty expensive, although PPU does make some in the same grain weight. I am not sure I am gonna start loading for this round, as it isn't gonna be a bench gun by any means, and I am not sure with the scope setup that I am gonna be shooting it all too often, but we will see.

Do you reload already? If so, $35 for dies, then components, doesn't take long to pay for itself.
If you don't reload, well, you should :)
We can help you fall into that money pit, all in
the interest of "saving money." ;)

JustBen
05-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Rifle functioned fine, but really takes a good solid pull on the bolt for it to eject reliably.

Thats a Swedish Mauser for you. If you take a look at the bolt face, you'll notice there's no ejector plunger, just an extractor claw. You have to pull all the way back to get a reliable ejection. These rifles were built for war where ever bolt pull was good and solid.