PDA

View Full Version : Browning BLR Advice?

Swampdonkey
07-26-2014, 01:53 PM
My wife was looking at a BLR online.

She'd like the following specifics:
Laminate/stainless
BOSS
30-06
Takedown
Pistol Grip

Before I start shopping for her birthday, are there warnings or advice to heed? Browning stocks tend to fit her well, but I'm ignorant of the BOSS and takedown concepts.

Rory McCanuck
07-26-2014, 04:12 PM
The take-down is a very nice idea, as you can clean from breech to muzzle without pulling the bolt.
I understand timing the rack and pinion can turn the air blue.
I found the old style (steel receiver)comfortable to shoulder, but a newer "lightweight" just felt...too light? Flimsy? Very nice, but not for me.
Maybe the stainless and laminate would add a bit of heft and improved balance.
If its fits her, I think it'd be a heck of a gun.

sk8r
07-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I have a Model 81 Lightweight Takedown in .308 and I absolutely LOVE it!! Can't speak to the other features she wants though coz mine is satin finish, blued and straight grip.....but the Browning stocks fit me very well too, and most of the other gals I hunt with. The takedown feature is pretty much a godsend to me coz I do a lot of paddle-in type hunting and it makes it really easy to pack & portage with. Highly recommended. :)

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8228/8459172132_b816d74f33_z.jpg

Looky
07-28-2014, 10:28 AM
I had it in my head to own a .308win in the pistol grip formation.
I shouldered a straight stock in .358win a few years back and she came
home with me.
Felt better and shoots to the best of my abilities.

Has your wife shot a 30-06 before?

BruceW
07-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Never had a takedown model, all mine have been the lightning '81 style. Son has a pistol grip model, I find I like the thinner forestock on the 81's. Personally, I love'em. They're incredibly accurate, short, light and really; trouble free. I have heard of a very rare problem with them skipping a gear effectively siezing the lever in whatever position it's in but I suspect the only way that would happen is possibly forcing shells into the chamber that aren't sized properly. There are nylon (at least I think nylon) gears inside.

Watch your bullet brass and overall lengths and I suspect you'll be like me and only have, "heard about it".

Don't know anything about the boss system other than I believe it's a muzzle break? I currently have one in 30-06 that is my, "go to" deer hunting rifle, and has been for at least 20 years(although I've also taken moose and antelope with it). I also have one in 450 marlin that's my moose-getter(and the occassional deer). My first was a .243 that I hunted with for decades. Eventually shot the barrel out(no idea how many rounds, but thousands and thousands); replaced it with the 30-06 I currently have.

My only advice would be to learn more about the boss to see if you want it. Other than that, I'd say if she likes them and they fit her well, she won't be disappointed in any way.

edit: was re reading my post and realized if you look at my little pic to the left you'll notice a blr. Ha! :)