View Full Version : opinion on crossbow

cormiermc
07-29-2014, 07:13 PM
i am on the market for a new crossbow. from now my choice is between:

excalibur matrix 330
barnett bcx
barnett brotherhood
carbon express cx1 or cx2

as you can see they are all between 330 to 365 feet/sec, i think more then that is overkill. i like the excalibur because of the lifetime waranty on the limb and the fact that you can easily change the rope by yourself(not that i plan to do it but a i like to say that s##t happen). i also heard that barnett don't have a really good reputation so they are at the end of the list and i find that carbon express have surprisingly a good reputation

what are your tought about it and feel free to make a suggestion.

Malus
07-29-2014, 09:17 PM
I own a Vortex. I'm not a hunter (yet), just into shooting for the time being, getting comfortable and all. It works like a dream and one of the main selling points for me was it's ruggedness. I don't have to worry about the extra care(ful) and attention that might otherwise be a hinderance. The only tool I need is a cocking aid so as to change a string, thats it. I'm sure that the compounds have their advantages (not that I've really figured out yet). Maybe, some extra speed, but, how much do you need when you can get a simple recurve that takes you right up there as well and can take a licking and keep on ticking...... my2c.

cormiermc
08-01-2014, 06:34 PM
looks like there is a lot more firearm interested person here then for crossbow

BrotherRockeye
08-01-2014, 10:15 PM
IMO, like most things bow...simpler is better.

I have a Barnett Commando...ya I'm not a kid anymore...

Recurve, break to cock(simply ingenious design),safety,red dot...

never had a problem with it ever...course I got it so the city folk could blast shafts without practice...buddy borrowed it and took a doe with it...

fyi, unstringing a recurve keep your limbs from relaxing same a backing off the limb bolts on a compound...you need a "bastard string" for a recurve crossbow.

looks like there is a lot more firearm interested person here then for crossbow

maybe try Crossbow Owners of Canada... :)

3MTA3
08-03-2014, 04:02 AM
http://www.crossbowforum.com/ ?

cormiermc
08-08-2014, 05:39 PM
the choice is done, after trying a few model, I finaly went with the darton serpent. really similar to the darton viper but it's a 2013 model so I got 250$ off with it.
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af82/cormsxt/arbalette_zps06de1472.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/cormsxt/media/arbalette_zps06de1472.jpg.html)

Swampdonkey
08-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Looks good. Will you be following up with a range report?

slim
05-16-2015, 07:35 PM
I have a excaliber recurve....and I like it.
Used to have a Barnett devastator, compound..........I prefer the recurve

reel55
08-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Prefer a recurve to a compound myself (Excaliber Axiom) - but let us know how you do and how long you get out of a string. Are you stalking/tracking or just tree stand /waiting?

tinbird
05-24-2016, 05:37 AM
Make sure you lube the serving on any crossbow string regularly to maintain it and lengthen its life.
The nice thing about recurve crossbows vs compound is not only the simplicity but also the ease and speed you can change a string in the field. it can be done with a compound but you need to have the proper equipment, and have practiced before going into the field (not the best time to be reading instructions about how to get the press to safely work.

deerbeargrouse
04-26-2017, 03:35 PM
I really like my Excalibur Phoenix recurve crossbow.

There's not much to go wrong with it, and it's super accurate.

Edit, for a cool pic.

http://classes.bnf.fr/phebus/images/3/c76_616.jpg

BrotherRockeye
04-26-2017, 05:06 PM
One of the main things about archery hunting equipment in general, and expressed here with/without intent, is that simplest is best.

The less you have that can go wrong, the less that will go wrong.

I learned that from years of shyte going wrong... :(

andrew640651
05-02-2017, 07:08 PM
everyone I know lovesome Excalibur. for me it's harder to pull back but not impossible. I have a wicked ridge by ten point because it's good enough for me and fits the price tag. Excalibur has a really good warranty

Forbes/Hutton
05-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Make sure you lube the serving on any crossbow string regularly to maintain it and lengthen its life.
The nice thing about recurve crossbows vs compound is not only the simplicity but also the ease and speed you can change a string in the field. it can be done with a compound but you need to have the proper equipment, and have practiced before going into the field (not the best time to be reading instructions about how to get the press to safely work.

Changing strings on most compounds isn't hard. Changing the cables is another matter and is best done by the factory or a factory trained tech.

So long as the compound has the double sided hooks for the string (looks a bit like a old fashioned anchor), draw the bow to cock with a crossbow, or about halfway on a bow (best done with stabilizers and sights off, riser down into a soft carpet held done with a foot while you draw with one hand). Slip the new string onto the unused hooks, then let the limbs go back to rest (be careful to avoid a dry fire). Now draw the new string, the old string will go slack and can be removed. Let the limbs go back to rest (again, watch out for a dry fire) and it's done. The only problem is when both strings are on and the limbs are at rest, it feels like the strings are trying to cut your fingers off trapped between the two strings.