PDA

View Full Version : SKS 101

Prairie Dog
05-03-2012, 09:59 AM
I plan to add an SKS to my inventory in the near future. That said, any suggestions for aftermarket accessories? Tapco seems to be the way to go for aftermarket stocks. I see there is a version which allows for a typical removable magazine. Anyone have any experience with this set up?

Preferred optics? Something good and affordable to 100 yards? Primary purpose will be for the range and maybe/probably gophers.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

mlehto
05-03-2012, 12:03 PM
The only reliable way to mount optics on an sks is a drilled and tapped reciever with a side mount.

There is also the option of a scout mount replacing the rear sight, but then you lose the option for irons.

Personally if I was doing it all over again I would by a nice laminate and be done with it. All the add ons are a waste of money, and don't do anything for function at all. Even the removable mags are useless as they typically take just as long as stripper clips anyways.

zulu
05-03-2012, 01:11 PM
^ agreed. for what use most they are fine right outta the box. i found the butt to be a bit short for me but then again i wasnt using it for anything but plinking

BrotherRockeye
05-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I'll +2 the above. Other than a making a butt stock cheek rest/ammo carrier,bone stock is good. I have a slightly elevated,padded cheek rest and a pouch that holds 2 full strippers. The irons are fine as far as I'll shoot it even though I don't look as good as I used to.
I checked out all the fancy bells and whistles but in the end,it seems like you have to give up something to get something with SKS mods.

saskgunowner
05-03-2012, 02:39 PM
The only reliable way to mount optics on an sks is a drilled and tapped reciever with a side mount.

There is also the option of a scout mount replacing the rear sight, but then you lose the option for irons.

Personally if I was doing it all over again I would by a nice laminate and be done with it. All the add ons are a waste of money, and don't do anything for function at all. Even the removable mags are useless as they typically take just as long as stripper clips anyways.

Totally in agreement with mlehto.....I'm guilty of throwing stuff on an sks in earlier days, but you're better off to just get a nice laminate stock and be done. And then buy a Norc CQ or other M-4/AR-15 platform rifle to dress up with tacti-cool stuff.:)

Prairie Dog
05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I started this thread to get an education and got what I asked for. Thanks, mind changed and money saved.

mlehto
05-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Learn from my mistakes. ;)

I did not mean to discourage you, and still would say get a nice sks. If you have the patience to clean it after using the corrosive it is a fantastic gun for very little money, and the ammo is as cheap as it gets.

Cheers,
Mark

Prairie Dog
05-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Learn from my mistakes. ;)

I did not mean to discourage you, and still would say get a nice sks. If you have the patience to clean it after using the corrosive it is a fantastic gun for very little money, and the ammo is as cheap as it gets.

Cheers,
Mark

Hopefully I did. :) Not discouraged at all....just another day older and little bit wiser.

Let's keep class in session (detention if you will). What works good as a cleaner? I've read on other forums that Windex works well. Would any commercial cleaner do the job? G96, Hoppes etc? Obviously the gas tube is crucial, I'm guessing the bolt and barrel would be as well?

Wmd
05-03-2012, 06:32 PM
just dump boiling hot water all over it then clean it like normal

mlehto
05-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Take the gas system completely apart and put all small pieces in the sink. Pour boiling water all over them.

Handguard/Gastube gets boiling water poured through it.

Barrel/action gets boiling water poured through action into barrel.

Dry patches through barrel to dry, gastube gets paper towel dragged through it, and dry small parts with paper towel.

After dry wipe down small parts with solvent, and clean barrel and gastube as per usual with solvent patches, and barrel brush.

I also use a pipe cleaner to clean the gas port on the barrel.

Oil everything up well especially gas piston, and small parts.

Should take 20-30 minutes, but probably longer at first till you have a system down.

Strewth
05-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Just to muddy the waters, if I was to mod my SKS it would look like this:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h331/pablosXIII/001-19.jpg

Shamelessly stolen from ben777lemay on CGN, love the Timberline stock and the Tech sights. Turns it into a $600 rifle though-CZ858 $ territory...

lone-wolf
05-03-2012, 10:19 PM
love that picture

jfred
05-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Yup. Do what Mlehto said. Takes a bit of time, but oh well :) Just make sure you inspect the gun the next day for any rust. If there is rust anywhere, you should be able to just wipe it off. I've had it happen before and it's not a big deal. Just make sure you get lots of water in firing pin channel on the bolt to be safe. The firing pin is supposed to be free floating, and you don't want it freezing up from rust or you could get some slam fires.

I should get a higher cheek rest. Since the sights are so high up on the receiver, I can have trouble lining them up quickly sometimes. LOP isn't that much of an issue since I have short arms, but the SKS doesn't point as naturally as my Mosin does.

Just pick up a nice one (mine's got the arctic birch instead of the laminate and it looks just fine), and have some fun.

road kill
05-05-2012, 06:28 AM
I just stripped the finish on mine and refinished it with an oil finish, that made a big difference. I have a 53 Tula and it is a lot of fun as is. Prefer to spend the big bucks on my varmint and deer rifles. Lots of guys like to dress up their rifles regardless of use or cost, it`s your cash and time. I wouldn`t spend a lot of money rebuilding a 10-22 either but many guys spend more than the guns original cost to redo or alter the look. It`s kind of like car building, just took longer to catch on.

BrotherRockeye
05-05-2012, 10:57 AM
I shoot non-cor to save the cleanup.It's a little more spendy but for the quantity I shoot when I use it, it doesn't make sense to have to clean it every time...
jfred-what you need is something like this:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4848/3skspsmall.jpg
it doesn't look it in the picture but it's high enough to make the sights right.
The other side holds 2 full stripper clips.

jfred
05-05-2012, 01:49 PM
That sure looks handy. Did you make that or buy it?

BrotherRockeye
05-05-2012, 10:43 PM
I built it out of the sleeve from an old leather jacket.

fenceline
05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Bought a laminate, put the stock in the gun locker and dressed the SKS up with a UTG rail and tapco stock. Shot 200 rounds through it. Got bored and went looking for the stock. Now the tactical bits are in the gun locker and the gun is back to stock. I too thought the stock was too short for my 6'3 frame, but the more I shoot the SKS the more I like it. Russian, Chinese, Yugo... makes no difference to me. Fun little guns just the way they originally are.

fenceline
05-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Shamelessly stolen from ben777lemay on CGN, love the Timberline stock and the Tech sights. Turns it into a $600 rifle though-CZ858 $ territory...

If I was going to customize one, I'd avoid the Tapco and Tacticool stuff and stick with this ^^^. Wood stock is closer to the original feel and the rear sight is not as noticable. Nice clean mods and the bayonet is still there for all the tacticool you need haha.

BrotherRockeye
05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
The only negative I can find to the SKS is our stupid 5 round rule...would love to be able to slam a full stripper and go!

fenceline
05-10-2012, 02:09 PM
^^^ and the M305, and the SVT40, and the AR15, and the cz58, and................... That isn't a negative for the SKS, its a negative for any semi. Silly rule.

Prairie Dog
06-28-2012, 11:32 PM

love that picture

Me too. Great looking stock! Do you know if it came with the bayonet cut out?

Strewth
06-29-2012, 12:59 AM
^I believe it doesn't, if I remember he talked about a router...yeah, found it, he had a buddy make up a router jig aligned with the barrel, then finished the groove with a chisel...which seems like a lot of work to me, I'd just screw a guide to the router plate and make a couple of passes on a secured down stock....hmmm still need to finish with a chisel, that would be faster than fooling around with a bit change and a plunge base...must...stop...thinking about this stock/sight combo...in grey laminate...

greywolf67nt
09-21-2014, 09:23 PM
I like my SKS the way I bought it.
My son pimped his out.
We shoot surplus so have to clean them every time. I said let's have a race. I was done, made a pot of coffee and working on a snack before he had his stripped down to put the hot water to.

Gaidheal
09-21-2014, 10:42 PM
I tacticooled one of my SKSs to the point I called it Mr Potato Head with all the swappable bits.

Put it back to stock as it wasn't as useful as I imagined, nor as fun, nor as reliable.

:shoot:

Swampdonkey
09-22-2014, 06:52 AM
I put nail polish on the sights to help my eyes, and a longer plastic buttstock. My wife kept hers original.

kennymo
09-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Older non-telescoping ATI stock and a Pro Mag side mount for a red dot. The other two stay 100% original. As above, you don't get all that much more function with all the accessories, I just like the folder for a cheap and short bush gun. I find the originals more fun for plinking.

SereneCarbine
09-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Ive only modded one of mine. Many trials with various parts, accessories and stocks has lead to this latest incarnation.

An important thing to consider/remember is that good looks don't always translate to good feel/function.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a504/VanNoord/IMG_20140924_125910_zpscd7623f8.jpg (http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/VanNoord/media/IMG_20140924_125910_zpscd7623f8.jpg.html)

Zinilin
02-15-2015, 03:49 PM
Any report of the SKS laminate stock de-laminating?

If the firearms is to be used, is the laminate stock preferred over the more photogenic solid stock?

Petamocto
02-15-2015, 03:56 PM
That aftermarket stock is awesome. The two things I don't like about the SKS are the 8+ pound weight, and the hand-cocked-back grip angle, so that stock would fix the latter.

kennymo
02-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Any report of the SKS laminate stock de-laminating?

If the firearms is to be used, is the laminate stock preferred over the more photogenic solid stock?

I don't see much functional difference between the two. They were originally intended for jungle warfare where the humidity might adversely affect hardwood IIRC. Not a big issue for the average Canadian plinker or hunter I would think.