PDA

View Full Version : Source for 20x102mm Vulcan Cases?

Flashpoint
08-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Does anyone know of a source in Canada for 20x102mm Vulcan brass cases? I'm looking for some, it's for a personal experiment, and they need to be in fair condition (deformations of the case mouth are OK, but no huge dents or deformed necks, no gouges, or holes drilled in them).

It's for a science experiment. I found some places in the USA but I'm not sure they'll export to Canada. I'm currently trying to see if that can be ordered in, though, so there's a source if all else fails.

wally338
08-05-2014, 04:40 AM
Alberta Tactical Rifle may have some.

50 B.M.G.
08-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Alberta Tactical Rifle may have some.

Nope. Not 20mm Vulcan.
My 20s are all 20x138B.

OP not sure how much luck you will have, especially trying to obtain any quantity.
The US export laws will prohibit the "legal" export of DD implements, which 20mm are declared.
Canada destroys all of their spent brass and munitions rather than to reclaim any reasonable monetary gain from it on the civilian market.

Possibly a note to AACCA here in Calgary can provide some leads to cartridge collectors who may have a few. Possibly Marstar or Wolverine Supplies may have a few empty casings?

Best of luck on this.

Drache
08-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Canada destroys all of their spent brass

That is not entirely true. It generally goes up for auction on the Government Auction Websites but we are talking about in the tonnage not individual pieces.

Such as:
https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=167198&lcn=312538&lct=L&srchtype=&so=ASC&sf=ferm-clos&lci=&str=1&ltnf=1

Over 2000kg of 5.56, 7.62, 9mm etc. Current bid at $4,000

Foxer
08-06-2014, 06:27 PM
Put my mind at ease - this "personal experiment" doesn't involve any high-flying geese that may have been crapping on your car, does it? :) :) :)

Donny Fenn
08-06-2014, 10:13 PM
That is not entirely true. It generally goes up for auction on the Government Auction Websites but we are talking about in the tonnage not individual pieces.

Such as:
https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=167198&lcn=312538&lct=L&srchtype=&so=ASC&sf=ferm-clos&lci=&str=1<nf=1

Over 2000kg of 5.56, 7.62, 9mm etc. Current bid at $4,000

Which can not be sold for reloading purposes, only for scrap. Semantics I know.

Drache
08-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Which can not be sold for reloading purposes, only for scrap. Semantics I know.

whose talking about reloading any?

Flashpoint
08-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Put my mind at ease - this "personal experiment" doesn't involve any high-flying geese that may have been crapping on your car, does it? :) :) :)
Well, no, it's just going to be a CADD model, nothing really tangible at this point.

Nope. Not 20mm Vulcan.
My 20s are all 20x138B.

OP not sure how mu...
Huh. Well, I'll have to see if that'll work. It actually might be better because of the belt, if the belt is thick enough to headspace the cartridge off of or prevent it from falling through the chamber; do you know about how much one might be? I only need one so I can measure the dimensions with my micrometer. If it works, I might need a dozen more in a year or two for experimenting with, but I doubt it'll be anything more.

Aside, do you know if they can be converted to utilize CCI No. 35 primers, or better yet, do you have the case dimensions?

That is not entirely true. It generally goes up for auction on the Government Auction Websites but we are talking about in the tonn...
Jeez lou-eeze to the umpteenth degrees... this is just an idea at this moment.

50 B.M.G.
08-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Well, no, it's just going to be a CADD model, nothing really tangible at this point.

Huh. Well, I'll have to see if that'll work. It actually might be better because of the belt, if the belt is thick enough to headspace the cartridge off of or prevent it from falling through the chamber; do you know about how much one might be? I only need one so I can measure the dimensions with my micrometer. If it works, I might need a dozen more in a year or two for experimenting with, but I doubt it'll be anything more.

Aside, do you know if they can be converted to utilize CCI No. 35 primers, or better yet, do you have the case dimensions?

Jeez lou-eeze to the umpteenth degrees... this is just an idea at this moment.

The stainless steel casings I had made cost me $100.00 per casing, and they do employ the #35 primer.

Flashpoint
08-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Triplejeez. I think I'm going to have to wait for a bit.

50 B.M.G.
08-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Triplejeez. I think I'm going to have to wait for a bit.

I don't suppose you want to know what the press and dies are worth then?

Foxer
08-11-2014, 04:36 PM

I think if you press, he'll die :)

Flashpoint
08-11-2014, 11:25 PM
This .gif adequately describes the face I made:
http://replygif.net/i/1074.gif

I think I'll have to wait on this until I'm a lot richer, this seems like a pretty damn expensive thing!

50 B.M.G.
08-12-2014, 08:43 AM
20MM is not cheap for many reasons.
Also with some of the new rules/laws going into effect it will be much more controlled for calibers over 50 BMG thanks to the Controlled Goods Directorate.

Flashpoint
08-12-2014, 11:52 PM
That's bad news, really bad news... I really don't know what to say except "jeez."

In the meantime, I'll have to look into trying to find if I can find the case dimensions elsewhere... unless you've got the datasheet for the case dimensions? Would you be willing to sell a copy of the datasheet and how much would that be? (If it's really expensive though, I don't think I can do that at this time, I'm on a pretty limited budget) I can still make a CADD model in the meantime.

50 B.M.G.
08-13-2014, 08:27 AM
That's bad news, really bad news... I really don't know what to say except "jeez."

In the meantime, I'll have to look into trying to find if I can find the case dimensions elsewhere... unless you've got the datasheet for the case dimensions? Would you be willing to sell a copy of the datasheet and how much would that be? (If it's really expensive though, I don't think I can do that at this time, I'm on a pretty limited budget) I can still make a CADD model in the meantime.

Let me see what I can dig up for you for case dimensions. I am not sure if I still have the tech drawing we used to make the cases.
I will also see if I have a casing that is no longer of use but that you could still pull dimensions from.

harbl_the_cat
08-14-2014, 02:04 PM
You could buy a 25oz silver round from SGB. Not sure if it's 20x102 Vulcan though..

https://silvergoldbull.com/25-oz-silver-bullet-20-mm-cannon#description-572

Flashpoint
08-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Let me see what I can dig up for you for case dimensions. I am not sure if I still have the tech drawing we used to make the cases.
I will also see if I have a casing that is no longer of use but that you could still pull dimensions from.
Oh man, thank you so much, that would really help me; I am basing my entire project around the case, so this is essentially the rosetta stone.

You could buy a 25oz silver round from SGB. Not sure if it's 20x102 Vulcan though..
Holy crapola in coca-cola, that's a lotta money.