PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Strewth
08-26-2014, 10:35 PM
So I've had this Savage auto-loader kicking around for a while, works fine except the mag tube has been kinked in the distant past by Bubba. I'd love to get a new tube for it, but I have no idea what model it is. Anyone know?

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t424/smellype/GOC%20album%201/GOC%202/IMGP3499_zps0f6e569f.jpg

Slightly Bubba'd screws:

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t424/smellype/GOC%20album%201/GOC%202/IMGP3502_zpsbf8e734b.jpg

Yep, it's a Savage....and that's all for identifying marks, except "Chambered for 2 3/4" on the opposite side.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t424/smellype/GOC%20album%201/GOC%202/dca7370c-0556-4842-be56-89f7cbb6156d_zps65dec649.jpg

More pics of specifics are available of course.

Drache
08-26-2014, 11:41 PM
FYI those screws aren't Bubba'd, they are factory. They are like that so they cannot work themselves out. I have a German K98 from WWII with screws like that.

The big screw holds in the part and the little screw is there so the big screw can't unwind itself without the little screw first coming out.

As for the shotgun it's a Savage Arms 775A model.

Strewth
08-27-2014, 06:49 PM
FYI those screws aren't Bubba'd, they are factory. They are like that so they cannot work themselves out. I have a German K98 from WWII with screws like that.

The big screw holds in the part and the little screw is there so the big screw can't unwind itself without the little screw first coming out.

As for the shotgun it's a Savage Arms 775A model.

Firstly, thank you! I shall now attempt to find a magazine and bring her to life once more. As to the screws, the picture makes them look better than real life; they're a little mangled from an improperly sized screwdriver. The mag tube...assuming here, but it feels like maybe the spring twisted, and someone attacked the tube with vice grips.

Foxer
08-27-2014, 08:52 PM
http://www.gun-parts.com/savageshotgun/

Strewth
08-27-2014, 09:00 PM
^Hey thanks, Foxer! Now the eternal Canadian question: Can I export any sort of shotgun part from Arkansas? All exporting of shotgun parts bad?

Drache
08-27-2014, 09:02 PM
^Hey thanks, Foxer! Now the eternal Canadian question: Can I export any sort of shotgun part from Arkansas? All exporting of shotgun parts bad?

depends on the part and if the company is set to export. phone them and ask.

Foxer
08-27-2014, 09:07 PM
It's under 100 bucks - you should be able to get it shipped to point roberts or the like and just pick it up. I don't THINK there's any restrictions for that, but you'd double check of course.

Fusilier
08-28-2014, 06:49 AM
It's under 100 bucks - you should be able to get it shipped to point roberts or the like and just pick it up. I don't THINK there's any restrictions for that, but you'd double check of course.

Not legal based on dollar value.

If it is a shotgun part, US dept of Commerce regulates the export out of the US. Other firearm parts are regulated for export by the US dept if State. The exporter will likely need to be licensed and the exporter will have to deal with the appropriate US Gov Dept, regardless of the dollar cost of the part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxer
08-28-2014, 08:50 AM
Really. So shotgun parts are treated completely different than any other gun part.

And we think OUR laws are stupid.

Fusilier
08-29-2014, 06:42 AM
The US Dept of State regulates the export of non shotgun firearms and parts. US Dept of Commerce regulates the export of sporting shotguns and parts. Almost every single firearm part needs to be exported out of the US by a licensed exporter.

The dollar value does not matter. A gun part could cost $1.45 and it can still only be legally exported by a US Government licensed exporter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IJ22
08-31-2014, 11:41 AM
If you're talking about what i think you're talking about that exemption (now $500 up from $100) is still just for licensed exporters. Any order under $500 makes less paperwork for them, but if you're not a licensed exporter do not try to carry any firearm parts or any ITAR restriced parts across the border yourself. You could feel a lot of pain if you're caught by U.S. authorities.

Foxer
08-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Huh. Well that's stupid.

I thought the exemption was for everyone on parts under a certain value. So brownells can ship a 400 dollar part here fine but if they ship it to the states and I walk it across it's a crime?

Strewth
08-31-2014, 01:11 PM
^Well, yes. I wondered if it was all shotgun parts, even silly metal tubes (I kinda thought it was, and I was hoping that Fusilier would chime in).
Offtopic: For a Mosin bent bolt I talked to the Dept of State and got a print out to bring it across the line, it was not a "complete bolt assembly". I did not get questioned about it but I was nervous coming across!

mtlgun
09-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Wolf lists your Savage in the Browning Auto 5 category so one of those mag springs should help.

Gun-parts ( aka Numrich ) should be able to export the part if you really need it. Savage is on alot of shelves so there should be no issue. Check Western Gunparts at the same time. They might have it up here.
As long as it's not demolished a mag anvil might be able to get it back into shape without all the fuss. Check with a local gunsmith if they've got one. It's generally not that big a deal to get a dent out.