PDA

View Full Version : Liberals developing evidence-based firearms policy

Shalimar
08-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Forwarded with permission from Inky Mark.

Jae Kiun A
https://liberal.zendesk.com/system/photos/8849/1676/Lib_Logo.jpg

Jae Kiun An (Liberal / Assistance)

29 Aug 16:44

Dear Mr. Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your concerns regarding
gun control. We’ve been hearing from a number of people on this issue, and
we appreciate your feedback as it helps us develop policies that are
reflective of Canadians.

A Liberal government led by Justin Trudeau would not reinstitute the
long-gun registry, however, like yourself we believe in balanced gun
control that prioritizes public safety while ensuring that law-abiding
firearms owners do not face undue treatment under the law. We will spend
the time leading up to the federal election developing evidence-based
firearms policy that is based on this approach.

Thank you again for sharing your perspective on this issue, and please do
not hesitate to write to us again should you have any other questions or
concerns in the future. We will be more than happy to help.

Sincerely,

Ahn Jae Kiun
Liberal Party of Canada
81 rue Metcalfe Street, Suite / Bureau 600
Ottawa, ON K1P 6M8

Telephone / Téléphone: 1 888 LIBERAL (1 888 542-3725)
Email / Courriel : assistance@liberal.ca

~~~~

I don't know whom they think they are fooling with this... but we had best keep an eye on it IMO

Malus
08-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Sounds like the traditional empty reply from a politician. "Evidenced based", hmmm. Too bad they don't have some rough copy to show us. Even if its to just stir the pot a little......

lone-wolf
08-30-2014, 07:39 AM
Did they copy that from a cpc memo?

Shalimar
08-30-2014, 07:44 AM
Sounds like the traditional empty reply from a politician. "Evidenced based", hmmm. Too bad they don't have some rough copy to show us. Even if its to just stir the pot a little......

True.. but I suspect it's also a possible ploy to try to weaken the CPC in the next election by fooling some firearms ppl etc into thinking they are firearms friendly.. hence why I posted it.

Malus
08-30-2014, 08:00 AM
True.. but I suspect it's also a possible ploy to try to weaken the CPC in the next election by fooling some firearms ppl etc into thinking they are firearms friendly.. hence why I posted it.

Same old song and dance. Gets a little boring after a few decades. Let the Liberals table something, see what they got. Its all for show anyways. Might as well make it interesting before the carpet is pulled out from under gun owners feet. Btw, none of the parties are "firearms friendly"........

topher
08-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Well.. Now I won't feel so bad when I vote liberal.. In my heart.. I know I can't vote for the CPC..

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

topher
08-30-2014, 08:37 AM
Btw, non of the parties are "firearms friendly"........

Not true. The chp party is (christian heritage party) unfortunately they have a religious name so they stand no chance.

Strewth
08-30-2014, 08:47 AM
A form letter in the Legalities forum?

Foxer
08-30-2014, 08:49 AM
Not true. The chp party is (christian heritage party) unfortunately they have a religious name so they stand no chance.

he probably meant REAL parties :)

Foxer
08-30-2014, 08:57 AM

Probably some truth to that but in reality it's following along with their stated concepts for almost all their policies. They all promise the best of both worlds so to speak in an effort to appeal to everyone, and use the term 'evidence based' to suggest that anything they come up with will be the correct answer and everyone else's is wrong.

THink about it - Pipelines: We're for pipelines, but not the ones that are unpopular. Taxes and the economy: We wont raise taxes, but we'll restore spending to many institutions. We expect that the deficit will look after itself if we grow the country in this fashion. Quebec - only quebecers should lead the country, but westerners are just as good. And now guns - we won't bring back the registry but we'll bring back something that will restrict your rights that won't be so mean.

Everything is we'll do this AND that - keep taxes low, but increase spending. Build pipelines but not pipelines. etc etc etc.

They're trying to keep all their options open while trying to convince everybody that they'll do what they want. The whole 'big red tent' concept again. We'll be a right wing govt', but we'll also be a left wing gov't.

Standard liberal nonsense going back years. They'll run on the left and then try to rule on the right while keeping the left happy.

blacksmithden
08-30-2014, 09:35 AM
We will spend
the time leading up to the federal election developing evidence-based
firearms policy that is based on this approach.

All evidence to be provided by Wendy Cukier and the Coalition For Gun Control of course.

Carguy2550
08-30-2014, 10:29 AM
All evidence to be provided by Wendy Cukier and the Coalition For Gun Control of course.

They can't use evidence based policy. That would hurt someone's feelings.

RangeBob
08-30-2014, 11:21 AM
Liberal replies

18 Jun 2014

Dear ,

I apologize for the delay in our response. Thank you for sharing your concerns with us regarding gun control. We’ve been hearing from a number of people on this issue, and we appreciate your feedback as it helps us develop policies that are reflective of Canadians.

A Liberal government led by Justin Trudeau would not reinstitute the long-gun registry, however, like you we believe in balanced gun control that prioritizes public safety while ensuring that law-abiding firearms owners do not face undue treatment under the law. We will spend the time leading up to the federal election developing evidence-based firearms policy that is based on this approach.

Regarding the recent decision by the RCMP to reclassify a number of rifles including Swiss Arms Classic Greens as prohibited, the government announced that there would be an amnesty for individuals affected by this reclassification. However, there are currently few details from the government about the parameters of the amnesty, which is resulting in unacceptable confusion among gun owners.

It is incumbent on the government to now clearly explain the parameters of this reclassification so that firearms owners are aware of their rights and responsibilities. It is also incumbent on the government to clearly explain to the public why the RCMP felt a reclassification was necessary and the responsible Minister did not.

Thank you again for sharing your perspective on this issue.

Kind regards,

Yasmine
Liberal Party of Canada

2014-06-25

Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us regarding gun control. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

We’ve been hearing from a number of people on this issue, and we appreciate your feedback as it helps us develop policies that are reflective of Canadians.

A Liberal government led by Justin Trudeau would not reinstitute the long-gun registry, however, like you we believe in balanced gun control that prioritizes public safety while ensuring that law-abiding firearms owners do not face undue treatment under the law. We will spend the time leading up to the federal election developing evidence-based firearms policy that is based on this approach.

Regarding the recent decision by the RCMP to reclassify a number of rifles including Swiss Arms Classic Greens as prohibited, the government announced that there would be an amnesty for individuals affected by this reclassification. However, there are currently few details from the government about the parameters of the amnesty, which is resulting in unacceptable confusion among gun owners.

It is incumbent on the government to now clearly explain the parameters of this reclassification so that firearms owners are aware of their rights and responsibilities. It is also incumbent on the government to clearly explain to the public why the RCMP felt a reclassification was necessary and the responsible Minister did not.

Kind regards,

Vanessa Hayford
Liberal Party of Canada

2014/07/22

Dear ----,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us regarding gun control. We’ve been hearing from a number of people on this issue, and we appreciate your feedback as it helps us develop policies that are reflective of Canadians.

Kind regards,

Cody Chenier
Liberal Party of Canada

Doug_M
08-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Exactly RangeBob. It is a form letter they've been sending out for a while. And like blacksmithden said, evidence as defined by the likes of Cukier. No thanks Libs, I'll pass.

RangeBob
08-30-2014, 11:44 AM
It is a form letter they've been sending out for a while.
But the letters are totally different now. In june/july they were signed "Kind Regards" and this month it was signed "Sincerely". This represents a major change in Liberal policy. Previously they were stating an opinion, but now they're saying 'we actually mean this'.

Yeah, maybe I'm reading too much into it.

lb1234
08-30-2014, 12:10 PM
"Control" is a scary word.

Gaidheal
08-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Btw, non of the parties are "firearms friendly"........

The Libertarians absolutely are.

www.libertarian.ca

ilikemoose
08-30-2014, 05:03 PM
he probably meant REAL parties :)

They are every bit as real as the "libertarian party" that so many gun owners seem enamoured of.

I know that's not setting the bar particularly high, but they do exist.

Foxer
08-30-2014, 06:08 PM
They are every bit as real as the "libertarian party" that so many gun owners seem enamoured of.
I would accept that as true and STILL stand beside my original statement :)

I know that's not setting the bar particularly high, but they do exist.

Theoretically, but then so does (or did) the marijuana party, the sex party, the communist party... but while they're real on paper, they're really not real. Oh sure they run the odd candidate here and there, but they're fringe. What I REALLY miss is the rhinos :)

Anyway - while they're technically a party, Blackadder's famous "Standing at the back dressed stupidly and looking stupid" party would have a better chance of getting a seat.

lone-wolf
08-30-2014, 06:15 PM
The communist party could replace the major 3.

Grey_Wolf
08-31-2014, 07:58 AM
Probably some truth to that but in reality it's following along with their stated concepts for almost all their policies. They all promise the best of both worlds so to speak in an effort to appeal to everyone, and use the term 'evidence based' to suggest that anything they come up with will be the correct answer and everyone else's is wrong.

THink about it - Pipelines: We're for pipelines, but not the ones that are unpopular. Taxes and the economy: We wont raise taxes, but we'll restore spending to many institutions. We expect that the deficit will look after itself if we grow the country in this fashion. Quebec - only quebecers should lead the country, but westerners are just as good. And now guns - we won't bring back the registry but we'll bring back something that will restrict your rights that won't be so mean.

Everything is we'll do this AND that - keep taxes low, but increase spending. Build pipelines but not pipelines. etc etc etc.

They're trying to keep all their options open while trying to convince everybody that they'll do what they want. The whole 'big red tent' concept again. We'll be a right wing govt', but we'll also be a left wing gov't.

Standard liberal nonsense going back years. They'll run on the left and then try to rule on the right while keeping Quebec happy.

There. I fixed it for ya

Foxer
08-31-2014, 09:03 AM
There. I fixed it for ya

LOL - well keeping quebec happy is certainly an old liberal tradition, but things have changed and while quebec has a decent number of seats you cannot win a gov't with quebec anymore. there are more seats in the west now than quebec has for example.

And they've always wanted ontario as much as quebec - ontario has the most seats of any province by far. More than the west combined at the moment.

So While i'm quite sure that quebec will be on their target list as a primary, it's not enough to just win there. They need the lefties in ontario, and they need to at least pick up a couple seats in the west so that they have SOME sort of foothold to build on in the future.

Grey_Wolf
08-31-2014, 11:25 PM
:smash:
LOL - well keeping quebec happy is certainly an old liberal tradition, but things have changed and while quebec has a decent number of seats you cannot win a gov't with quebec anymore. there are more seats in the west now than quebec has for example.

And they've always wanted ontario as much as quebec - ontario has the most seats of any province by far. More than the west combined at the moment.

So While i'm quite sure that quebec will be on their target list as a primary, it's not enough to just win there. They need the lefties in ontario, and they need to at least pick up a couple seats in the west so that they have SOME sort of foothold to build on in the future.

Yeah, should have said Quebec and Ontario. You know; I take offence to your use of the term "lefties". :fight I happen to be left handed and it offends me to even be remotely placed in the same category as the other righties. I was born this way, I didn't choose it.....:smash: But well I guess we all have our crosses to bear and that happens to be one of mine

Foxer
08-31-2014, 11:36 PM
I take offence to your use of the term "lefties"

Would you prefer 'right challenged'? :)

I can see where it'd be a bit of a source of frustration, but unfortuately the term has been in use since 1789, and it seems unlikely that we'll see it change at this point. I suppose I COULD accurately use the terms Right and Wrong. :)

If it makes you feel any better - you can blame the french for it.

Grey_Wolf
08-31-2014, 11:56 PM

I can see where it'd be a bit of a source of frustration, but unfortuately the term has been in use since 1789, and it seems unlikely that we'll see it change at this point. I suppose I COULD accurately use the terms Right and Wrong. :)

See! Again! Quebec is at fault lol

Grey_Wolf
08-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Hey...wait a minute - wadda ya mean wrong?

JRW (QOR)
09-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Hey...wait a minute - wadda ya mean wrong?

Political left = wrong.

stevebc
09-01-2014, 09:00 AM

But that would be gauche... :D

Foxer
09-01-2014, 09:02 AM
But that would be gauche... :D
LOL

Strewth
09-01-2014, 09:41 AM

I prefer Sinister.

GlockGuy
09-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Don't Believe Him !! All Liberals are Born Liars. They WILL re-instate the Long gun Registry As they Bend Over & kiss Quebec's ASS in Their quest For Power.

topher
09-01-2014, 10:40 AM
What do we have to do to boot Quebec out of canuckistan?

zguy
09-01-2014, 09:06 PM

I resent that. FYI, Québec has about 25% of the Canadian gun owners population. And it also had a couple of occasions to get out of Canada and decided against both times. Not all of us are morons and a lot less are actually libs.

Call us frogs and we'll laugh. But don't try to boot us out.

Please keep that in mind next time. Thank you.

Mil Specs
09-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Ok lets find some evidence online ... school shootings in the US yeah that's good . Stuff happening in Africa, people running amok with guns yeah that's good evidence right there ...ooh a whole site based on Canadian gun culture lead by Mrs . Cukier that will be choc full of good evidence based policy leads !

Shalimar
09-02-2014, 10:39 AM

It's not a matter of booting anyone out.

It's a matter of abolishing the firearms act completely and then installing a "CDN 2nd" so as to prevent any future gov of any party from trying this crap again.

Shalimar
09-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Ok lets find some evidence online ... school shootings in the US yeah that's good . Stuff happening in Africa, people running amok with guns yeah that's good evidence right there ...ooh a whole site based on Canadian gun culture lead by Mrs . Cukier that will be choc full of good evidence based policy leads !

There is no lack of real evidence out there... but cukier and her ilk will of course never admit that.. and will only try to twist things to suit their agenda.