PDA

View Full Version : Olivia Chow choking, Ford frontrunner?

Strewth
09-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Rex Murphy: As Olivia Chow flounders, Rob Ford’s fans show us that the common man still matters

It’s a pleasant thing to wake up in Toronto and read, in one of the city’s lesser organs, that (once again) “Toronto’s Mayor Ford has been cleared by the city’s integrity commissioner.” I don’t think it’s necessary to state precisely what he was cleared of — suffice it to know that it involved the Mayor, football, children, and a mass of goose feces (geese squat more frequently than they squawk) — a combination best left unscrutinized in this space.

Rob Ford gains ground in Toronto mayoral race, is a close second to John Tory: poll

Don’t call it a comeback yet, but Mayor Rob Ford is on the rise in a new poll on the Toronto mayoral race, closely trailing John Tory as once frontrunner Olivia Chow continues to bleed support.

While most observers have pontificated on the campaign as a two-horse race between Chow and Tory, with Ford on the outside with a solid but underwhelming minority, the mayor’s polling gains since his return from rehab is sure to turn heads.

In the latest Forum Poll, an automated phone survey conducted Monday and Tuesday of 1,945 Torontonians, Tory leads with 34% support, followed by Ford at 31% and Chow at 23%. David Soknacki, whose status in the race is a source of constant speculation, remains far back at 4% despite his popularity among policy buffs and Reddit readers.

Continue reading…
But everything is turning up warm goose sh… er, roses for the good Mayor these days, as shortly I shall explain.

Normally, of course I would not attend to a mere municipal election in a national newspaper. But because this election is Toronto’s, that code can properly be broken. We may stipulate Toronto’s ascendancy as the country’s greatest city, and its inherent fascination for all Canadians — even those in the wastelands beyond Mississauga, and dwelling far beyond the Blue Jays and Argonauts, in the badlands of Roughriders, Lions and Eskimos.

As goes Toronto, so go we all. Folks here like to imagine that the whole of Canada is Toronto’s real suburb. So we relay the news.

Torontonians go to the municipal polls on October 27. And with two months to go, things are changing mightily in this great contest. Not only just this week has Mr. Ford escaped another lashing from the city’s ethics police, but even happier still, the latest polls have him emerging from a dry spell (as it were), when he was back of the pack of serious contenders — blue-chip candidate John Tory; and Jack Layton’s widow, Olivia Chow — hopelessly mired in scandals and buffoonery. The numbers show Ford at 31%, nipping at John Tory’s loafers (he at 33%).

It has been amazing to watch Chow slip to third place. Rob Ford, the great helmsman of punk politics, has now crashed out in front of the woman who (the Toronto Star long assured us) was supposed to waltz away with the race, fresh from her stint as MP in the House of Commons. Ms. Chow has plummeted markedly — from her start at 38% to a despairing 23%.

How can this be? Should not Ford be one with John Cleese’s Norwegian Blue at this point?

Related
Rob Ford made players roll in goose scat, challenged teacher to fight, showed up drunk to practice: Documents reveal why he was fired as football coach
Rob Ford says he’s not homophobic, won’t answer questions on his refusal to congratulate Pride workers
Does the result flow from Mr. Ford’s largely unacknowledged campaigning genius? Is there another person in Toronto, or all of Canada, who could carry the burdens he does, almost all of which — it is unnecessary to point out — he has placed obligingly on himself? Is there another who could survive the mockery of every late-night comedian in North America, survive a campaign interruption to take a respite at a rehabilitation centre — and remain a very, very real contender?

There is no one else who could work such a miracle. Mr. Ford has gifts, and it will not do to say he doesn’t.

But some of the credit plainly goes to Olivia Chow. When asked during a media event how she would be different from Rob Ford’s tax-and-spend mayoral predecessor, David Miller, she offered the sneering reply: “I’m not white. Not male. Want to start there?”

So spake or emailed (the exchange came during an online forum) the long-time queen of diversity and inclusion.

What some of Mr. Ford’s critics fail to see is how, as in this instance, his opponents have their more-than-odd moments, too. Ms. Chow shows us that the distinction of Not-Being-Rob-Ford, while it is a state that offers room for some self-congratulation, is not necessarily all that is required for a full life, or a crack (oh, yes) at being mayor.

But maybe the polls carry an even easier more explicit message: that some people are weighing an interesting, even a novel, choice. How many voters, I wonder, see ticking off Rob Ford’s loudest opponents as more pleasurable than voting for a “sensible” candidate?

And behind that seemingly frivolous responses is a deeper one. “Normal” politics has brought these voters no comfort, and the class of people that owns “normal” politics has brought no harvest of joy either. It is “a plague on all your houses” kind of moment. And Ron Ford is “a plague on all your houses” kind of candidate.

The pure snobbery of the anti-Ford fighters is Rob Ford’s fundamental political energy
Unless Ford invades a neighbouring municipality (what is Toronto’s equivalent of Ukraine?) or does something equally appalling (even by his own exceptional standards), we can guarantee that several hundred thousand voters will throw their vote his way to give a finger to the right-thinking class.

This race is not about skin colour or sex. It is very much about the divide between those who think they are always right, and a fair number of almost everyone else.

The pure snobbery of the anti-Ford fighters is Rob Ford’s fundamental political energy, the oilsands fuelling his campaign machine. He thrives when they despise. And since virtually everything he does causes them to despise all the more, he has more than enough fuel to power him through the next two months of campaigning.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/08/30/rex-murphy-as-olivia-chow-flounders-rob-fords-fans-show-us-that-the-common-man-still-matters/

Strewth
09-01-2014, 11:25 AM
http://thecarnivoreproject.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8345295c269e201a5116584a7970c-800wi

Gaidheal
09-01-2014, 11:54 AM
Keep that picture of Rub-n-Tug Jack with the gun circulating!

The Joe-Man
09-01-2014, 12:00 PM
23% is still too high for Chow. Given Toronto's population, that's an awful lot of idiots.

Edenchef
09-01-2014, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=The Joe-Man;173932]23% is still too high for Chow. Given Toronto's population, that's an awful lot of idiots.[/QUOTE ]

Given the Toronto attitude, I personally think that number is very low.

Cheers!

berger
09-01-2014, 02:18 PM
23% is still too high for Chow. Given Toronto's population, that's an awful lot of idiots.

Really? The Ontario Legislature has 107 seats, the GTA makes up 47 of those seats. The GTA voted in 39 Liberals.....idiocy has already been proven.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Foxer
09-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Well it's good that chow's falling behind. The last thing we needed was another miller running around shooting their mouth off about guns every week.

I still can't believe ford's so high. Proof positive I think that torontonians would rather have entertainment than good government.

IJ22
09-01-2014, 04:48 PM
I still can't believe ford's so high. Proof positive I think that torontonians would rather have entertainment than good government.

We don't have to choose, with Ford we get both.

RangeBob
09-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Would you put little stock in "Torontonians would rather have embarrassingly and merely bad government (Ford) than spectacularly bad government (chow)."

ABC
Anyone But Chow

blacksmithden
09-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Id like to see Rob win, but if we cant have that, then Tory is a logical second choice. Id rather see somebody's pet parakeet elected than Chow.

Forbes/Hutton
09-01-2014, 06:17 PM
A Ford win in Toronto is a good thing. He's a lightning rod for the leftie media. If he wins and the media remains focused on him then have less hate and time to spew at Harper.

IJ22
09-01-2014, 11:02 PM
A Ford win in Toronto is a good thing. He's a lightning rod for the leftie media. If he wins and the media remains focused on him then have less hate and time to spew at Harper.

lol well I think there's enough leftie going around to have plenty of spew for both Ford and Harper with plenty left over for Sunnewsnetwork. It's really not even about Ford anymore, it's about not crumbling to the will of the commie/fascist media. Don't forget, they sued to have Ford removed from office over using stationary for a charity, before the whole crack gift fell into their laps. The battle for Ford is a battle for democracy.

Foxer
09-02-2014, 12:48 AM
lol well I think there's enough leftie going around to have plenty of spew for both Ford and Harper with plenty left over for Sunnewsnetwork. It's really not even about Ford anymore, it's about not crumbling to the will of the commie/fascist media. Don't forget, they sued to have Ford removed from office over using stationary for a charity, before the whole crack gift fell into their laps. The battle for Ford is a battle for democracy.

Dude, the battle for ford is a battle for a drunk drug user with strong ties to criminals. You can't have that guy be mayor. A person who would elect him to represent them is saying "I support criminals and believe that criminals are the best person to represent me and what I stand for".

You just can't do that. Pick tory if you want a right wing guy. Ford is just toxic. Toronto has enough problems.

IJ22
09-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Nope. Of all the candidates, Ford is the only viable choice for me. I want a mayor who can run the city, not an angelic role model. Tory's only platform is I'm not Ford. In fact, that seems to be everyone's platform. Chow took it one step further and extended her platform to not only I'm not Ford, but also I'm not white and I'm not male.

Sorry it's an easy choice for me. Ford.

soulchaser
09-02-2014, 02:23 PM
while Chow has been trending downward for a couple poll cycles now, just remember:

Nenshi was a distant 3rd in Calgary's 2010 mayoral election and he ended up winning by quite a large margin.

Toronto has a weak mayor system. Their vote is just one of 45. So it is more important to get rid of all the left wing spendaholic councillors like Paula Fletcher, Janet Davis, Shelley Carroll, Gord Perks, Pam McConnell, Mike Layton ect.

So, even if Chow were to win, she wouldn't be able to do much damage.

IJ22
09-02-2014, 03:54 PM
So it is more important to get rid of all the left wing spendaholic councillors

I totally agree. I'm also guilty of not knowing the first thing about the councilor and candidates in my riding. Will have to study up soon.

soulchaser
09-02-2014, 04:13 PM
New Nanos just released:

Tory - 42%
Ford - 28%
Chow - 26%.

1000 people in a phone survey

MOE +/- 3.1%

IJ22
09-02-2014, 06:25 PM
My Toronto needs a mayor with leadership, one who listens, one who responds, one who gets things done....

http://www.blogwrath.com/toronto/rob-ford-resurrects-the-jesus-parade/6466/

Foxer
09-02-2014, 10:17 PM
My Toronto needs a mayor with leadership, one who listens, one who responds, one who gets things done....

http://www.blogwrath.com/toronto/rob-ford-resurrects-the-jesus-parade/6466/

.... and who isn't a drunk drug addicted criminal. Otherwise, nobody takes them seriously and that can be disastrous for a city.

OEM
09-02-2014, 10:39 PM
City council is a gang of thieves. Who better to keep them on a tight leash than a criminal mayor. Say what you like, he gets the job done. I'd take him any day over some glorified pap-smear of a commie like Vancouver's mayor moonbeam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxer
09-02-2014, 11:59 PM
City council is a gang of thieves. Who better to keep them on a tight leash than a criminal mayor. Say what you like, he gets the job done. I'd take him any day over some glorified pap-smear of a commie like Vancouver's mayor moonbeam.

Dude, you cannot say that your choice in elected official is a criminal. You just can't - i mean, even if it just was that he drank and did a little crack you might turn a blind eye, but his 'associates' are drug dealers and criminals. NO GOOD COMES FROM THAT. Trust me, you think he's getting the job done but there are horrible repercussions from that road. Ask quebec.

IJ22
09-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Dude, you cannot say that your choice in elected official is a criminal. You just can't - i mean, even if it just was that he drank and did a little crack you might turn a blind eye, but his 'associates' are drug dealers and criminals. NO GOOD COMES FROM THAT. Trust me, you think he's getting the job done but there are horrible repercussions from that road. Ask quebec.

Isn't guilt by association a no no in our society? What exactly has Ford been convicted of that makes him a criminal?

Foxer
09-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Isn't guilt by association a no no in our society? What exactly has Ford been convicted of that makes him a criminal?

No, you can be guilty by association in our society. Not quite sure where you got that idea.

Al Capone ran soup kitchens, and considered to be a really nice guy by many people. He hadn't been convicted of a crime either. What are you have been a good mayoral candidate in your mind?

Absolutely no good comes from that sort of thing. I don't care how charismatic the person is. You cannot have criminals represent you in Office.

This is how Kathleen managed to win again, people in Ontario seem to have no sense of pride in their cities and province or the self respect it takes to say a corrupt person cannot be in office. I could understand if there was no other choice, but there is.

You cannot let a criminal represent you in office. You really need to have too much self-respect to allow that.

IJ22
09-03-2014, 11:07 AM
I'm not interested in his charisma, I'm interested in his ability to run the city.

Foxer
09-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm not interested in his charisma, I'm interested in his ability to run the city.
A criminal or person of poor moral character may sometimes give the appearance of good management, but it is often just that. Pick someone who is a good manager who does not have those deficiencies and you are far less likely to have nasty surprises in the future.

IJ22
09-03-2014, 04:00 PM
Pick someone who is a good manager who does not have those deficiencies and you are far less likely to have nasty surprises in the future.

Sure, sounds great! Who? Mr. surface subways? lol Give me a better choice and I'll move my vote. Currently, Ford, even with his baggage, is the only option.

Foxer
09-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Sure, sounds great! Who? Mr. surface subways? lol Give me a better choice and I'll move my vote. Currently, Ford, even with his baggage, is the only option.

Well he's not the only option and i think you know that. I guess at the end of the day you and your fellow torontonians will have to decide what your integrity is worth. I'm proud to live in a province where corrupt politicians have been wiped off the face of the political map even if it meant having a lesser candidate win in order to send the clear message that criminals can't be allowed to power. Alberta, sask, many of the other provinces can boast the same. And federally the west dumped the PC when they became corrupt.

If you don't consider yourself worthy of the same, and are content to be run by criminals, then that is your choice. Don't act surprised if the rest of Canada who respect themselves more look down on you for it.

Except quebec of course. They have their own issues in that regard.

IJ22
09-03-2014, 06:34 PM
If people want to look down on me because they don't agree with my political choices, they're welcome to have at it. People looking smugly down their nose at others never impressed me much anyway.

OEM
09-03-2014, 06:50 PM
A criminal or person of poor moral character may sometimes give the appearance of good management, but it is often just that. Pick someone who is a good manager who does not have those deficiencies and you are far less likely to have nasty surprises in the future.

In THIS case, I'm pretty sure it's not appearances. Ford really did run the city well. MUCH better than our mayor moonbeam for sure.

Foxer
09-03-2014, 07:40 PM
In THIS case, I'm pretty sure it's not appearances. Ford really did run the city well. MUCH better than our mayor moonbeam for sure.

Again - it always looks that way until later the cracks start to show. A lot of the mayors in quebec that are either under arrest or charged all were thought to be doing quite well and were re-elected with strong mandates.

Look at the hard numbers, and he did a decent job but nothing particularly spectacular (certainly not as well as he claims). Vancouver actually has lower property taxes by a fairly good margin and a better commercial to residential tax ratio. Transit is pretty good and we don't have anywhere near the problems with traffic congestion in the region. This despite similar population densities. So - mayor moonbeam may be a total dweeb on many levels, but our council has been running the city pretty well compared to toronto. So Ford isn't really doing ALL that great, it just seems like it compared to that asshat miller. :)

But at the end of the day, you always wind up paying for having a corrupt or criminal mayor in power. It always SEEMS like it's worth it, but in the long run it rarely is.

Think of it like this - would you be ok with someone breaking into your home and stealing your stuff as long as they took stuff you don't really like? Or would you say "I'm not cool with you breaking in at all, even if you DO haul off something i don't want".

Same sort of thing - either you're tolerant of criminals and HOPE they don't wind up doing something you DON"T approve of, or you are not tolerant of criminals. When you elect someone to power, you're putting them out there as an example of the kind of person that represents you and what you believe in. Sure - Moonbeam believes in stupidity like bikelanes and such, but he also believes in good governance and keeping the taxes low. And we don't have a lot of garbage strikes and the like to do it. In fact - garbage collection rates went down this year with the new programs.

Ford has done some good things (credit where credit is due) but i'm sorry, he's not that great and he's a bloody embarrassment. The man has no morals at all and in the long run you are ALWAYS going to pay for that.

ilikemoose
09-04-2014, 09:51 PM
I want to chime in on this.

In a perfect world, Toronto would elect a Mayor that would take it bact to the days when Toronto was so safe, prosperous and morally upright that it was nicknamed "Methodist Rome".

Unfortunately, Toronto has ceased to be Methodist Rome or even Toronto The Good...and it's mayoral race is between Jack Laytons Rub and Tug Girl, and a fat white version of Marion Barry.

At this point, I am hoping Ford gets the win...not because he deserves it, but because electing Ford shows just how absurd Toronto really is.

Shalimar
09-05-2014, 07:39 AM

This quote applies here as well as in many other cases:

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

Frank Zappa

Shalimar
09-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Well it's good that chow's falling behind. The last thing we needed was another miller running around shooting their mouth off about guns every week.

Actually I'd say while ford is a train wreck with his antics.. the sad part is his competition is so pathetic they manage to make him look good.

That said ford is the best available choice from that pool of choices. :eek1:

Oh and so long as his antics do not impact how he does the job I don't give a crap if he's smoking crack or getting drunk.. his personal life should never matter in relation to the job.

Shalimar
09-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Id like to see Rob win, but if we cant have that, then Tory is a logical second choice. Id rather see somebody's pet parakeet elected than Chow.

Isn't chow one and the same?

:la:

Foxer
09-05-2014, 08:20 AM
Actually I'd say while ford is a train wreck with his antics.. the sad part is his competition is so pathetic they manage to make him look good.
Well there is that :)

That said ford is the best available choice from that pool of choices.

Oh and so long as his antics do not impact how he does the job I don't give a crap if he's smoking crack or getting drunk.. his personal life should never matter in relation to the job.

You must be from ontario :)

Westerners just don't see the world that way. A criminal should not be in power. It's like saying "ok, so the guy was child molester, but as long as he's doing a good job babysitting MY kid and doesn't touch him i'm ok with that". NOOOOOOO - that's a bad idea :)

I mean, if he made a few mistakes that's one thing. Got caught drinking and driving once, or made some other life mistake and apologized and moved on, then so be it. But this guy is way way beyond that - he's being called to testify in his best buddy's extortion trial, he's drunk and driven, he's smoked crack, he's a raging alcoholic, he's clearly got ties to organized crime, and most important he doesn't give a crap about any of that stuff so if he gets it in his head to screw over taxpayers he's not going to miss a single beat. And you probably won't find out till a LONG way down the road.

I honestly don't understand how someone could say a criminal reflects my values in office. In the west we trash gov'ts like that for a lot less, left wing OR right wing. You guys just have a far higher tolerance for corruption and I doubt we'll ever understand it.

Foxer
09-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Id rather see somebody's pet parakeet elected than Chow.
Isn't chow one and the same?

Heh :) no, parakeets are cute. She's more like one of those crows someone taught how to speak with it's little demonic voice :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92hYSsOclLY

Shalimar
09-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Well there is that :)

You must be from ontario :)

Westerners just don't see the world that way. A criminal should not be in power. It's like saying "ok, so the guy was child molester, but as long as he's doing a good job babysitting MY kid and doesn't touch him i'm ok with that". NOOOOOOO - that's a bad idea :)

I mean, if he made a few mistakes that's one thing. Got caught drinking and driving once, or made some other life mistake and apologized and moved on, then so be it. But this guy is way way beyond that - he's being called to testify in his best buddy's extortion trial, he's drunk and driven, he's smoked crack, he's a raging alcoholic, he's clearly got ties to organized crime, and most important he doesn't give a crap about any of that stuff so if he gets it in his head to screw over taxpayers he's not going to miss a single beat. And you probably won't find out till a LONG way down the road.

I honestly don't understand how someone could say a criminal reflects my values in office. In the west we trash gov'ts like that for a lot less, left wing OR right wing. You guys just have a far higher tolerance for corruption and I doubt we'll ever understand it.

I am in bantario indeed... but as was pointed out by others.. what makes him a criminal? He's never been arrested/charged/convicted.. so therefore he is not a criminal per se.

But again his personal life I don't give a crap about.. he can be a crack smoking drunk going to gay bars and dressing in women's undies for all I care. What matters is can he do the job.

As for criminals btw.. all you need to do to find a ton of them is to remember that all politicians are in essence criminals due to their unethical behaviour while ON the job. (and yes that applies to all parties)

Shalimar
09-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Heh :) no, parakeets are cute. She's more like one of those crows someone taught how to speak with it's little demonic voice :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92hYSsOclLY

Now there's a mental picture! :eek1:

762shooter
09-05-2014, 11:46 PM
I'm not from Ontario so I'm not fully up to speed on Toronto politics, but what's so wrong with Tory? He seems ok and right wing, so why are people here down on him?

Foxer
09-06-2014, 12:33 AM
I'm not from Ontario so I'm not fully up to speed on Toronto politics, but what's so wrong with Tory? He seems ok and right wing, so why are people here down on him? He's actually leading in the polls.

Honestly i think the 'attraction' of ford is mostly that he seems like he does what he wants and screw everyone else he's going to do things his way. Appeals to some people, and again - appearance over substance has a long history in politics.

But tory's not bad at all and he'll make a good mayor. (certainly better than miller was or chow would be). And without quite the crack smoking baggage :)

Shalimar
09-06-2014, 04:33 AM
He's actually leading in the polls.

Honestly i think the 'attraction' of ford is mostly that he seems like he does what he wants and screw everyone else he's going to do things his way. Appeals to some people, and again - appearance over substance has a long history in politics.

But tory's not bad at all and he'll make a good mayor. (certainly better than miller was or chow would be). And without quite the crack smoking baggage :)

In part true.. but Tory is more of a "we'll compromise with x" etc type instead of actually getting things done and that is why ford is more popular overall.

Again Ford is a train wreck... but he also gets sh*t done and his competition is so bad they still manage to make him look good despite the antics

Edenchef
09-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Again Ford is a train wreck... but he also gets sh*t done and his competition is so bad they still manage to make him look good despite the antics

Now that's the common, really sad theme about current Canadian politics, in this thread and many others on this forum. Its not about how bad a particular candidate is.....its how much worse the others are. That supports the idea that those that seek public office should never be allowed to obtain it. JMHO

Cheers!

Shalimar
09-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Now that's the common, really sad theme about current Canadian politics, in this thread and many others on this forum. Its not about how bad a particular candidate is.....its how much worse the others are. That supports the idea that those that seek public office should never be allowed to obtain it. JMHO

Cheers!

Hence why I always refer to it as picking the lesser of the evils.

And no kidding.. I've been the VP of the condo board where I live for 7yrs running.. and I do it because someone with a brain has to do it, not because I want to.
(Trust me it's a non-paying pain in the ass POS job with a ton of BS to deal with)

Those that want to do so usually are the worst possible pick(s).

soulchaser
09-10-2014, 05:25 PM
New Forum poll today:

Tory 40%
Ford 28%
Chow 21%

Claim Soknaki's 6% will split 3% to Chow, 2% to Ford, 1% to Tory.

Chow has plummeted to 9% support in Scarborough. That's worse than Ford's support numbers from what was the old City of Toronto at 13%. She was at 31% in July.

Tory v. Ford head to head - Tory 57%, Ford 30%

Tory leads all area's of the city

Take the numbers for what they're worth.

Shalimar
09-11-2014, 08:52 AM
New Forum poll today:

Tory 40%
Ford 28%
Chow 21%

Claim Soknaki's 6% will split 3% to Chow, 2% to Ford, 1% to Tory.

Chow has plummeted to 9% support in Scarborough. That's worse than Ford's support numbers from what was the old City of Toronto at 13%. She was at 31% in July.

Tory v. Ford head to head - Tory 57%, Ford 30%

Tory leads all area's of the city

Take the numbers for what they're worth.

Polls are sadly varied and typically are inaccurate due to sloppy methodology and/or bias within the ppl doing the poll(s)

bettercallsaul
09-11-2014, 11:01 PM
I like Ford because he drives leftists NUTS, and that makes me happy.

He's fat, he's ugly, he's oafish. Even though he comes from money, he really does seem like a regular guy. He's not part of that snobby Toronto Liberal Elite.

Never underestimate the power of relating to regular people.

Foxer
09-12-2014, 12:50 AM
he really does seem like a regular guy.

Yeah - if the 'regular guys' you know are crack smoking alcoholics :)

hercster
09-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Yeah - if the 'regular guys' you know are crack smoking alcoholics :)

He give self respecting alkies a bad name. Watchit Mr. Foxer.:slap:

Shalimar
09-12-2014, 10:38 AM
He give self respecting alkies a bad name. Watchit Mr. Foxer.:slap:

:Beer time:

Forbes/Hutton
09-12-2014, 06:12 PM
I hate the title of this thread, I read "Olivia Chow choking" and keep thinking "good, I hope it's a fish bone".

Then I remember it's about her campaign.:mad1:

Then I wish she WOULD choke, preferable on something more meaningful than a fish bone, a boat anchor would do.

hercster
09-12-2014, 07:05 PM
What I really don't understand is how people like Chow develop a following. If one were to put politics aside, it's so easy to see how intellectually naive and dishonest these people are. Politics have a lot in common with organised religion where the devout put aside all reason in order to parrot the dogma.

The things I have heard otherwise reasonably bright and educated people say with blind passion boggle the mind. It's easy to see where Chow stands because her statements are broadcast. But what about all those politically faithful? While many steps removed, the path to the Jim Jones characters is comparable. If you have connected brain cells and a simple desire to understand the real world, how can you swallow some of this stuff?

Doug_M
09-13-2014, 06:13 AM
^^^^ well it seems to only happen in the urban cores. I think Chow appeals to them because she spoon feeds them what they already believe and they don't want to hear opposing views. Some people when faced with the truth will still fight it beyond reason.

Shalimar
09-13-2014, 08:19 AM
What I really don't understand is how people like Chow develop a following. If one were to put politics aside, it's so easy to see how intellectually naive and dishonest these people are. Politics have a lot in common with organised religion where the devout put aside all reason in order to parrot the dogma.

The things I have heard otherwise reasonably bright and educated people say with blind passion boggle the mind. It's easy to see where Chow stands because her statements are broadcast. But what about all those politically faithful? While many steps removed, the path to the Jim Jones characters is comparable. If you have connected brain cells and a simple desire to understand the real world, how can you swallow some of this stuff?

Understatement... but the answer is simple.. most ppl are sheeple.. and will stupidly believe BS from those that speak it so they don't need to hurt their tiny brains actually thinking for themselves... it's pathetic IMO

Shalimar
09-13-2014, 08:20 AM
^^^^ well it seems to only happen in the urban cores. I think Chow appeals to them because she spoon feeds them what they already believe and they don't want to hear opposing views. Some people when faced with the truth will still fight it beyond reason.

cukier and her ilk for one