PDA

View Full Version : anyone own a marlin 338?

zulu
09-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Been lookin at one, the round is very interesting and flat for a lever. any one have any experience with it? Pics and groups?

Rory McCanuck
09-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I've wanted one for quite a while.
30-06 power that carries like a 30-30, what's not to love?
If you find one, inspect it carefully.
Barrels not straight to the receiver, barrels only partially rifled, receivers cracked down to the mag tube...
Marlin produced some reall horror stories, and the .308MX and .338MX were some of the worst.
I get the impression that things have turned the corner, and they are now producing safe, working guns again.

One of these days I'll find one on the rack, probably right after I've spent too much on some other gun :(

zulu
09-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Yeah i read that stuff too, i read a thread on long range hunting that was terrible derailed and annoying (something about same owners as chevy and end of world) but somewhere in the mix the op had an update that his came back and now it works great! I hope they did turn a corner as the points you said are the same reasons i want one too

Rory McCanuck
09-07-2014, 10:41 AM
I have noticed brass for it at both Wholesale Sports in Wpg, and ... maybe Jo Brooks in Brandon?
So feeding it shoudn't be that much of a problem.
I see Marlin has added some old favourites back to their catalogue, so there's hope some may become available.