PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Lever Gun Modifications

50calshooter
05-06-2012, 06:42 PM
So in about a week I'm going to be adding an XS rail and sight system to my 1895G. I will post a detailed write up on the installation of that system but in the mean time I wanted to get some info on two other areas of interest.

1. Can anyone help me figure out what's involved in extending my magazine tube, ie source for parts and level of difficulty of the install...

And

2. I'm interested in learning more about larger loop levers, source for parts and degree of difficulty...

Anyone done any of these mods? Are ther any other mods worth doing? Pictures?

mlehto
05-06-2012, 06:47 PM
The lever is no problem.

Just a matter of finding the part, and swapping them.

Extending the mag tube, I am pretty sure that the only way to get one is to order a 26" cowboy magazine tube & spring and cut it to fit, and then have to get some new way to attach it to the barrel. Not worth it in my opinion.

lone-wolf
05-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Large loop? really? Are you sure?

50calshooter
05-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Large loop? really? Are you sure?

Yeah why?

Not the really big ones just one with a little extra room. My factory one is also rectangular shaped, I'd like to have it more circular on the back end..

M.T. Chambers
05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
They can be made from your original smaller one, with lots of heat, adding a piece, then file and sand as required.

mlehto
05-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Here is a couple option. Not sure about getting them to Canada though.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16628/Product/MARLIN-BIG-LOOP-LEVER

http://drcfirearmsoutdoors.businesscatalyst.com/parts-and-gear/levers/marlin-1895

Edward Teach
05-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Numrich has large levers too. No prob shipping to Canada.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=883860A&filter=marlin+336+lever&catid=0

Their site is a PITA to navigate. Also it's JUST the lever. It still needs the plunger, plunger pin and plunger spring.

mlehto
05-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Damn, that looks like the way to go. :p

50calshooter
05-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Those levers look ridiculously too big, lol

Oh also they wont fit anyway, I have the straight grip..

BrotherRockeye
05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
You can get them for straight grips...
that said I'm gonna mod the lever on my 1894C 44mag myself...that way it will fit all my fingers.
Small job of cutting the loop and opening it up,then adding a piece. The biggest job will be the hand filing to make it purty!

lone-wolf
05-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Not the really big ones just one with a little extra room.

OK, the real big ones seem pointless to me.

mlehto
05-07-2012, 02:26 PM
So I was at Buffalo Gun Centre today, and you bunch of ........ really have me looking into one of these now.

I was hoping to handle one of those Savage Alaskan Brush Hunters, or Hog Hunters, but they had none in stock.

So I found myself playing with a few different models of the 1895. I really like the stainless with the laminate, but it is more then I'd spend on such a gun.

One thing I found was that the large loop levers seemed to actually slow down cycling and felt strange to me. It was like your hand/fingers were left in the middle of nowhere, not really having a firm place when cycling. I understand that under heavy recoil there may be a complaint about your hand being banged by the lever, but I am not sure I would like the large loop.

I wrapped my 336 lever in a layer of leather to protect my fingers from recoil, as well as stop any pain from lots of cycling, and that seemed to work well.

I would recommend you try it before you buy it.

Just a thought.

50calshooter
05-07-2012, 03:53 PM
the idea of the large loop levers is to run your fingers/hand around the loop when cycling... Think of twirling a coffee cup on your finger...

M.T. Chambers
05-07-2012, 04:45 PM
The problem with using the leather wrap is that it makes the lever even smaller. The problem is heavy loads and cold weather, of course if you're out shooting in the summer you may not notice, but one shot with cold hands and they may have to pry the gun from your cold, swollen, dead hands!

BrotherRockeye
05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
My issue with the factory lever is that it just holds my fingers as is. With a leather roping glove it's tight.
I don't need to "True Grit" my iron but would like to have room for a leather glove when it's chilly to avoid exactly what Ben pointed out.
As is I have to 3 finger it with a glove on and my pinky don't like it.
The DRC levers aren't quite as big as some of the other ones I've seen

BrotherRockeye
05-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Here's the DRC hype:
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5010/drcloop.jpg
New oversized Marlin DRC lever

Fits Marlin Model 1894 straight stock (all calibers)
Includes spring and plunger
Has been pre-fitted to a rifle
Is well rounded with no sharp edges for fast painless levering and cycling
Makes recoil easier on hands, and smoother working action
Has polished finish
Easy drop in part, instructions are included
Our levers are about a finger taller and longer than the factory lever, they are not like the (John Wayne style big loop) which is loose and slows down cycle speed and creates a farther throw
Made to be tight with medium to large glove

M.T. Chambers
05-07-2012, 06:01 PM
That's the big lever my 45/70 Cowboy gun wears, recoil doesn't bother my hand anymore, shoulders' just about broke though!!

lone-wolf
05-07-2012, 06:48 PM
See, that lever looks like a winner.

Rory McCanuck
05-07-2012, 08:30 PM
The DRC loop looks great, and should be practical.
I think the giant loop ones look a bit ridiculous, unless
you are Chuck Connors or John Wayne.
I've got itty bitty girlie hands, so the regular loop is
fine for me.
Go ahead mlehto.... you know you want one.

loki
05-08-2012, 12:20 AM
So as I understand this is your rifle prior to mods;

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/bigbore/zoom_1895G.jpg

Am I correct?

Well you could always see if your dealer will allow you to trade in on the other model with the large loop and longer mag;

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/images/bigbore/zoom-1895GBL.jpg

Honestly with the time and money investment you'll be doing to get the longer mag and larger lever you'll be further ahead to go with a trade in, or hopefully the dealer will be nice enough to go for a trade across.

However I can understand the fun of a project, and the feeling of a custom gun, as everyone else has basically covered the lever I'll talk about the mag. So if you'd like to go the route of a full length mag tube you have some options.

You can get a new full length magazine and have a gunsmith install it. If you're confident in cutting your own new dovetail it could be something you could do. To my knowledge (of course never having a hands on install on a Marlin myself) these aren't a 870 where you can screw on a +2 mag extension. You'll require a new magazine, follower, spring, and plug. In theory the internals should be the same and you can re-use the follower and plug from your old magazine, but I'd make sure prior to ordering. At the very least you'll require a new spring.

Tube for standard 1895 (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8059/Product/MAGAZINE-TUBE)
Tube for GS 1895 (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20267/Product/MAGAZINE-TUBE)
Spring (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8643/Product/MAGAZINE-TUBE-SPRING) Make sure it's for full length prior to order
Plug (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8130/Product/MAGAZINE-TUBE-PLUG) On backorder
Magazine tube stud (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20340/Product/MAGAZINE-TUBE-STUD)
Plug Screw (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20339/Product/MAGAZINE-TUBE-PLUG-SCREW)
Plastic Follower (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8304/Product/MAGAZINE-TUBE-FOLLOWER)
Aluminum Follower (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20768/Product/MARLIN-ALUMINUM-MAGAZINE-FOLLOWER) JIC you're one of those guys that prefers a metal follower.

Hope that helps. Also where are those pics of your 1895 man? Naked or not we need pics ;).

loki
05-08-2012, 12:22 AM
the idea of the large loop levers is to run your fingers/hand around the loop when cycling... Think of twirling a coffee cup on your finger...

Now 50cal you wouldn't be talking about spin cocking your Marlin would you?

Edward Teach
05-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Actually 45/70 hits hard enough that there shouldn't be a need for a 2nd shot, so I'm not sure what gain the extra mag tube is going to give you that the regular one doesn't. It's not like you're gonna want to blaze away with 6 or 7 shots all at once. If you think you need to do that, get a .44 mag, which holds 10+1 and won't turn your shoulder into hamburger.

loki
05-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Actually 45/70 hits hard enough that there shouldn't be a need for a 2nd shot, so I'm not sure what gain the extra mag tube is going to give you that the regular one doesn't. It's not like you're gonna want to blaze away with 6 or 7 shots all at once. If you think you need to do that, get a .44 mag, which holds 10+1 and won't turn your shoulder into hamburger.

Didn't you apply for your Bison herd tag? ;)

50calshooter
05-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Now 50cal you wouldn't be talking about spin cocking your Marlin would you?

Hahaha no, I was trying to explain using the entire loop as leverage for cycling the rifle...

mlehto
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Hahaha no, I was trying to explain using the entire loop as leverage for cycling the rifle...

I'm still not understanding this concept.....

Might just be me.

I can understand the large loop for gloves, or to stop from your knuckles getting hammered under recoil.

buzz720
05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
I bought the marlin that came with the big loop. When I tried the stock one my knuckles were touching the lever(i have larger hands) so i couldnt use gloves either and it would probably hurt my hand. Being able to use gloves is a must if I want to use it at the end of the season for hunting(reached -30 last fall). With the pistol grip and recoil pad that came with, it is a pretty soft shooter too.

mg4201
03-24-2013, 02:10 PM
I want a large loop for no practical reason. I love the look of them. Too much rifleman on AMC lately I think.

Spectre
04-13-2013, 12:31 PM
I ended up ordering a XS Lever Scout rail, Limbsaver recoil pad & a one piece "bear defense" extractor for my recently purchased 1895G. I also prefer the look of the straight stock and standard loop size vs the pistol grip style and larger loop.

I have some leather lace which after soaking in saddle soap, I am hoping pull good and tight to do a loop wrap as thin as possible. Now to find a leather stock slip and matching sling. The stuff done by www.levergunleather.com looks pretty sweet, but there has to be someone local that can do stuff like this.

What were you planning on running for optics? Any thoughts on the cross bolt safety or the removal of?

M.T. Chambers
04-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Just forget about the safety, leave it "off" and just use the half cock, like they've been doing for a hundred years or so.

Rory McCanuck
04-13-2013, 10:39 PM
If the cross bolt safety bothers you, an o-ring will fit tight in the red groove, preventing it from accidently self applying.

BrotherRockeye
04-13-2013, 11:26 PM
there are a few options for the safety...
the O ring trick
the set screw fix
that fella that makes the fake screw lookin replacement

Because I have a pair of new to me's on the way...
an 1895
and a 444
I have been brainstorming a few mods and came up with a couple to try.
one is for the cross bolt safety, one is for the lever.

sorry Ben I couldn't help myself...I had to buy the 444 too...might wanna dust off those molds ;D

Rory McCanuck
04-13-2013, 11:49 PM
^^^OOh, Ooh, ooh, I'm so excited for you!
You're going to have a fun summer experimenting!

BrotherRockeye
04-14-2013, 01:16 AM
no such luck...my spare time is close to zero in the summer...I should be able to get the jig built for my lever mod before the ground is dry this year though...if the snow ever melts.

Spectre
04-14-2013, 07:10 AM
there are a few options for the safety...

that fella that makes the fake screw lookin replacement

More info would be appreciated :cool1:

BrotherRockeye
04-14-2013, 11:59 AM
there is a fella that makes/made a replacement for the safety that looks like a standard screw on the end...

found it:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/crossbolt_safety.htm

If you plan to order one let me/us know...there may be a group buy opportunity here

Spectre
04-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks, I'll look into it.

M.T. Chambers
04-15-2013, 07:57 PM
Bro Rockeye must have a sore shoulder wish!!! I have an extra lever for the '95 if anyone needs one, to play around with.

BrotherRockeye
04-15-2013, 09:11 PM
What can I say Ben...I'm a sucker for punishment ;D

What with the ex wives and extra curriculars...

In my experience, horses kick harder than rifles...

I bin kicked, bit, and trampled
from day 1 until now
and took abuse I'd never stand
were it comin from a cow

I bin dragged, dumped and I bin flung
Bin down and got up slow
Had bruisin stacked atop themselves
and some leakers don't ya know
BR

BrotherRockeye
04-15-2013, 09:15 PM
I could use that 95 lever Ben.

I could mod it then swap it with mine...if the mod works out.

lmk

Rory McCanuck
04-15-2013, 10:05 PM
You might be better off modifying the lever that comes with the gun, if it works nicely.
That way you won't have to worry about messing with timing and carrier lift height and all that jazz.
If you mess it up completely, a spare lever won't be hard to come by, especially as Ben has already offered one.

BrotherRockeye
04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
That's true RM, and when I think about it, if my scheme works out I shouldn't have to remove the lever to mod it...which was my initial plan.

never mind Ben ;D

Rory McCanuck
04-15-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Marlins, but its only one screw to remove the lever.
Nice and easy to put it a vice that way ;)

BrotherRockeye
04-15-2013, 11:52 PM
lol - it's still in the mail

BrotherRockeye
04-23-2013, 10:08 PM
I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Marlins, but its only one screw to remove the lever.
Nice and easy to put it a vice that way ;)

I'm getting more familiar...
the 1895 and 444 both showed up yesterday.
spent today building loads and burning powder.
Took the 444 half apart and cleaned it this evening
simple is good.

Rory McCanuck
04-23-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm getting more familiar...
the 1895 and 444 both showed up yesterday.
spent today building loads and burning powder.
Took the 444 half apart and cleaned it this evening
simple is good.
Aren't they the very model of simplicity?
The one thing to be careful of...the screw under the mag tube needs to be tight, and a dab of nail polish on it.
If it loosens up at all, when you cycle the action, the round coming out of the mag will bind up.
Then you need to pull the lever, wiggle and jiggle, and all the rounds squirt out of the tube.
The language would make a sailor blush. :eek1:

What were you loading, and how did it go?
With the .444, a lot of guys use the Hornady 265gr FP and H-4198 and feel no need to try anything else.
I have no experience with the 45-70, but I think most of the same powders are appropriate.

Pics would be good ;)

BrotherRockeye
04-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Well let's see. I started out by whipping up a few 444 loads once the shop warmed up...dies and case lube specifically.
I loaded the 444 with some Winchester 240gr Jacketed HP over 50gr 3031. Just using what I have on hand. I'd like some 4198 or 4895...RL-7... I'll see what I can find next time I go to the city.
Fun to shoot even though I don't look so good anymore. the holes in the plywood were round and not too far apart. A couple were almost touching lol
The action is like silk on this old gal and at 35 yrs old, is like new. There is one scratch ahead of the loading gate, otherwise the receiver is perfect.
Here's a pic of the 444 complete with finger prints. I have it in the house because I just finished the cartridge holder for it. Still need to cut a proper lace for it but it turned out ok for bein built on the coffee table.
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/3335/my444.jpg
I actually spent more time with the '95. It came with Leupold QD base and rings but no irons...I mounted an old B&L 1.5-4.5x20 WA on it and bore sighted it. First shots were low just left of center. Didn't take long to dial it in. I shot a bunch of 405gr rounds I had left over from my rolling block, then I started loading some 340gr Cast HPGC from Ben...nice bullets, and do they make holes ;D
I started at 45gr of 3031 and stopped at 48 or 49...it's gettin late. Anyway the last ones were fairly stout. This little iron doesn't soak up the recoil like a single shot with a 30lb octagon barrel. I'm gonna test the 300's I got from Ben next and want to play around with some 405gr loads too.
The 444 is gonna go on the shelf for a while so I can play with the '95 and wait for my resupply of 444 brass to get here.
I'll try to remember to take a pic of the '95 tomorrow...if it gets a chance to cool down! :shoot:

Rory McCanuck
04-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Fun to shoot even though I don't look so good anymore. the holes in the plywood were round and not too far apart. A couple were almost touching lol

Don't buy into the "Leverguns aren't accurate" malarkey. I've had a few one hole groups @50yds with a peep, so I'm pretty sure I'm the weak link.

The 1in38" rifling was made with the 240gr in mind, but I have yet to find great accuracy with the 240s. 265s and 300s shoot really well though.
With the microgroove rifling, velocity is your friend. The harder you push 'em, the tighter they shoot.

BrotherRockeye
04-24-2013, 02:54 PM
I know better than that. I've owned 1899's and 99's for years too.
My eyes are the problem and I know it. Just the last few years the rear sight has gone fuzzy on me.
I was pushing the 240's just over 1750 according to Quickload.
Here's my second 4 shot test load out of the '95 with MTChambers 300gr bullets
I think it's a keeper.
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5868/300gr.jpg

Rory McCanuck
04-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Nice!
That might knock the stuffing out of Bambi. ;D

M.T. Chambers
04-24-2013, 04:29 PM
As i told Bro Rockeye, of the 30 or more molds/designs for the 45/70 that I have/make, that RCBS 300 grainer was LEAST accurate in my '95 Cowboy gun....This is just more proof that savy reloaders will try things for them selves and that every rifle is a law unto itself......Ben

BrotherRockeye
04-24-2013, 04:41 PM
I think I got lucky only having a couple of powder choices.
If I'd had some 4198 I might not have tried the 3031 and things could have turned out different.
Although, I've always had good luck with 3031 and would not be without it.
Some days though, it's better to be lucky, than savvy ;D

BrotherRockeye
04-24-2013, 11:12 PM
here's the '95...looks like they all do I guess. Dumped the B&L in favor of a trusty old Deerfield 4x.
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7182/marlin1895.jpg

BrotherRockeye
04-01-2014, 07:18 PM
thread resurrection 101 ;D

Had big plans to do Draches knife handle today but the horn I picked wasn't gonna work out so instead I modified the lever on my .444 to a "bigger" loop.
Should have thought to take pics along the way but I'm not that bright.
Here's a pic of the finished product and the pattern.
Fits like it should now.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t138/parklandtack/BigLoop444_zps2c33552d.jpg

coastal
04-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Wow nice work!

BrotherRockeye
04-01-2014, 08:27 PM
It turned out pretty good for a first try. A little bigger, a little wider along the bottom...truth is I spent half the time I should have with the files because I knew I was gonna cover it. It's smooth under the wrap but I didn't polish it or anything before I blued it.

Now I gotta break down and cut a lace for the cartridge holder to match the lever wrap...

Rory McCanuck
04-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Lookin' good.
Now we need to get a proper sight for it.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/sights/66-receiver-peep.php
http://www.lymanproducts.com/includes/img/lyman/sights/sight_66.jpg

BrotherRockeye
04-01-2014, 11:13 PM
I like peep sights but that's too close for my old eyes to see clearly. The factory sights are workin just fine :)

Foxer
04-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Actually 45/70 hits hard enough that there shouldn't be a need for a 2nd shot, so I'm not sure what gain the extra mag tube is going to give you that the regular one doesn't.

That's what I was thinkin' - if you empty the mag of that gun on ANYTHING and it's still moving, you really need to just apologize and leave.

BrotherRockeye
04-02-2014, 01:20 AM
That's what I was thinkin' - if you empty the mag of that gun on ANYTHING and it's still moving, you really need to just apologize and leave.

ok that's funny right there...I don't care who you are ;D

BrotherRockeye
04-03-2014, 11:28 AM
so what ever happened to 50cals plans?

he started this thread...

50?

slim
06-24-2015, 01:16 AM
I love lever gun porn....lol
And I do love my lever gun, I have decided to put my trusty 'ol Mar 45-70GS...under the knife as could be said...and send it off to get it modified with a custom 12" barell..that's threaded for a custom muzzle brake/redirector. I already have a Xs long ghost ring rail on it, and a aftermarket "cowboy lever" installed, and I want to finish it off with some "candy" from WWG.....

I work in the bush...and I want it for my "old reliable"....

And the "bonus"......is I have an excuse to buy another one thats not custom....for hunting :)