PDA

View Full Version : Rob Ford withdraws from mayoral race, Doug to run

Billythreefeathers
09-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Rob Ford withdraws from mayoral race, Doug to run

http://globalnews.ca/news/1560464/rob-ford-withdraws-from-mayoral-race/

TORONTO – Mayor Rob Ford has withdrawn from the city’s mayoral race amid a health crisis.
Councillor Doug Ford, the mayor’s brother, entered the race officially just after 1 p.m.
The deadline to have his name on the ballot was 2 p.m. Friday.
The mayor’s nephew, Michael Ford, who was running for council in Rob’s former ward, has also withdrawn.
Jeff Silverstein, communications director for Mayor Ford’s election campaign, said Rob will run for councillor in Ward 2.
The mayor will undergo an MRI, but the biopsy results of a mass found in his abdomen won’t be known for about a week.
Earlier Friday, Doug said this is a tough and stressful situation for the family.
It is unclear if the mayor’s tumour is cancerous.
The 45-year-old mayor was admitted to hospital on Wednesday after complaining of abdominal pain that became “unbearable.”
Video: Doug Ford visits ailing brother in hospital

Ford was transferred to Mount Sinai Hospital from Humber River Regional Hospital on Thursday for further treatment.
Dr. Zane Cohen, an internationally recognized colorectal surgeon at Mount Sinai, said the mayor has been given painkillers and is “resting comfortably.”
Meanwhile, another mayoral debate took place Friday morning with only John Tory and Olivia Chow.
The event was hosted by the Ontario Home Builders’ Association and saw the candidates spar over issues relating to the building and development industry.

blacksmithden
09-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Hope Rob gets through this ok. I like the idea that Doug is running now. GO FORD NATION !!!!! :) To be honest...I'd rather see a rabid gerble in that chair if it was a race between the gerble and Chow. In reality, if I was a betting man, my money would be on Tory.

IJ22
09-12-2014, 01:34 PM
I don't think Chow would have a chance head to head against Tory, judging by the polls. I don't know much about Doug, could be an interesting race.

awndray
09-12-2014, 02:01 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10645002_10152665539195325_7683181306105047465_n.j pg?oh=7d53acbf3b86dce8ac7bf33af5d2867b&oe=54A0EE97&__gda__=1418250625_8f5de4259f9dc7c8883a739fcddf609 6

awndray
09-12-2014, 02:04 PM
With the advice of my family and doctors I know I need to focus on getting better. There is much work to be done and I can’t give it my all at this point in time.

My heart is heavy when I tell you that I'm unable to continue my campaign for re-election as your Mayor.
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/09/12/statement-from-mayor-rob-ford

hehe 509

soulchaser
09-12-2014, 06:03 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10645002_10152665539195325_7683181306105047465_n.j pg?oh=7d53acbf3b86dce8ac7bf33af5d2867b&oe=54A0EE97&__gda__=1418250625_8f5de4259f9dc7c8883a739fcddf609 6

Kouvalis is John Tory's campaign manager.

The fact Tory went into immediate attack mode an hour after Doug registered indicates he's pretty worried.

soulchaser
09-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Forum poll this morning (yes I know, it’s FORUM) in the field yesterday after Doug entered:

Tory 41% (up 1)
Doug Ford 34% (up 6 from Rob)
Chow 19% (down 3)

Sympathy bump? I kind of look at Ford Nation as it’s own political party. And that party got a new leader yesterday, so it could be like provincial and federal party’s getting a “honeymoon bump” after a new leader is chosen.

I suppose it could also be people who liked what Rob was doing politically but went away from him because of the scandals coming back.

Or it’s Forum, and they’re full of crap.

Shalimar
09-13-2014, 11:18 AM
one way or another.. shit will hit the fan I'm sure :la:

Foxer
09-13-2014, 01:19 PM
The fact Tory went into immediate attack mode an hour after Doug registered indicates he's pretty worried.

That's probably not terribly accurate :) I don't think tory is terribly worried at all, he could have beaten rob, he has an even stronger chance against doug.

Sympathy bump?I'd expect so, plus lots of media attention which never hurts. But they're still a long ways apart and doug will have a tough time maintaining those numbers, never mind closing the gap. Ford was largely running on popularity and a bit on track record, while doug can 'borrow' some of that it's not quite the same. And his recent comments about autistic kids will hurt him.

Shalimar
09-13-2014, 02:19 PM
That's probably not terribly accurate :) I don't think tory is terribly worried at all, he could have beaten rob, he has an even stronger chance against doug.

I'd expect so, plus lots of media attention which never hurts. But they're still a long ways apart and doug will have a tough time maintaining those numbers, never mind closing the gap. Ford was largely running on popularity and a bit on track record, while doug can 'borrow' some of that it's not quite the same. And his recent comments about autistic kids will hurt him.

I would say it's the opposite.. since Doug looses much of the baggage from his brother.. yet stands for much the same regardless.. so Tory should be worried..

Chow however is irrelevant in the end IMO

Foxer
09-13-2014, 04:48 PM
I would say it's the opposite.. since Doug looses much of the baggage from his brother.. yet stands for much the same regardless.. so Tory should be worried..
Well we'll see how it ends up.

Mjolnir
09-13-2014, 05:21 PM
I'm not a follower of Toronto civic politics by any means but from what little I've seen Doug Ford seems to be quite a bit more level headed than his brother. Is that a correct assessment? Interesting twist to the election.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foxer
09-13-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm not a follower of Toronto civic politics by any means but from what little I've seen Doug Ford seems to be quite a bit more level headed than his brother. Is that a correct assessment? Interesting twist to the election.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkWell he hasn't been caught smoking crack if that's what you mean :) There's accusations he sold drugs in highschool, and there is no doubt hes much more gruff speaking (some of his comments recently about autistic kids were not well received). He's slightly less scandalous of course.

Mjolnir
09-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Well he hasn't been caught smoking crack if that's what you mean :) There's accusations he sold drugs in highschool, and there is no doubt hes much more gruff speaking (some of his comments recently about autistic kids were not well received). He's slightly less scandalous of course.

Surprised they're still trying to hang on to the mayor's office, you'd think with all the bad press now might be a time to try and maintain seats on council, let the bad press of the last year go away and then take a run at it next election. Rob Ford especially strikes me as a guy needing to get his life in order, he obviously has several serious issues that need addressing.

Forbes/Hutton
09-13-2014, 07:10 PM
If Doug gets his numbers closer to Tory Chow might quit and throw her support behind Tory, just to keep a Ford out.

It would be the first time in 25 years she's been in some political office, the peace and quiet would be wonderful!

soulchaser
09-13-2014, 07:13 PM

Doug doesn't have Rob's touch with people.

He's a better businessman than Rob, has a more polished look, but his mouth tends to get him in trouble.

soulchaser
09-13-2014, 07:18 PM
If Doug gets his numbers closer to Tory Chow might quit and throw her support behind Tory, just to keep a Ford out.

It would be the first time in 25 years she's been in some political office, the peace and quiet would be wonderful!

2 polls conducted after Doug entered:

Forum Research:
Tory 41% (up 1 from last week)
Doug Ford - 34% (up 6 from Rob's total)
Chow - 19% (down 3)

Mainstreet Technologies (Never heard of them before today)
Tory 47%
Chow 27%
Doug Ford 16%

blacksmithden
09-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Mainstreet Technologies......ummmm....ok.....so, they went out on the main street in Chow's riding.....ran the poll for 1 hour.....stopped polling when it was apparent Tory was going to win ? LOL !

Shalimar
09-14-2014, 07:06 AM
Well we'll see how it ends up.

Indeed.. one way or another it should be interesting

Shalimar
09-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Think of him as a little more subtle version so to speak but overall very similar in politics

Shalimar
09-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Doug doesn't have Rob's touch with people.

He's a better businessman than Rob, has a more polished look, but his mouth tends to get him in trouble.

What member of the ford family does that not apply to? :la:

trition
09-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Genius... political genius.

Foxer
09-14-2014, 06:22 PM
Genius... political genius.

What, getting a tumor? I'm thinking that may not have been entirely planned :)

RangeBob
09-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Sympathy bump?

"Doug Ford. All the weight and cost freezes of the original, with half the addictions and embarrassing behavior."

trition
09-14-2014, 10:43 PM
oops

trition
09-14-2014, 10:44 PM
No, the transition to the brother... :) And if there was a family who could have planned this it's them. With a crack pipe in his hand, while at rehab in the U.S. and simultaneous sightings to Barrie Ontario, it would have been him, all while still having immense support from his Toronto followers.... Genius. I can't walk outside in boxers without people being upset with me! :)

What, getting a tumor? I'm thinking that may not have been entirely planned :)

Foxer
09-14-2014, 11:15 PM
No, the transition to the brother

Ahhh - well i don't know about 'genious' - it's pretty obviously their only real choice now that he may have to be out of the running, and I think he knew he was going to lose. This gives them a chance to hold on to power and get another roll at the dice. What else were they going to do besides just give up?

I don't think it'll swing things for them tho. Still - you never can tell. Polls are one thing, but it also depends on who gets their people out to vote on election day.

Foxer
09-15-2014, 01:43 AM
Yowtch - this is going to hurt......

Fords cannot share election funds under finance rules

Rob and Doug Ford may have swapped places in this fall’s tumultuous election campaign, but the money the mayor has raised to date for his re-election bid can’t follow him in his attempt to win back his old council seat, nor can he transfer it to Doug’s nascent mayoralty run, says an election finance expert.

“Doug has to start from scratch,” said lawyer Jack Siegel, who regularly acts for municipal politicians on election expense matters. “He has to open up his own bank account and keep his own set of books and cannot have access to funds in the Rob Ford for Mayor campaign account or resources purchased with those accounts.”

Under section 68 of the province’s Municipal Elections Act, every campaign for office is considered to be separate for accounting purposes, and the funds can’t be shifted easily.

Mr. Siegel says that if there are surpluses in Rob Ford’s mayoral campaign account that didn’t come from his own personal donations, they will be frozen and revert to the City of Toronto.

The same principle applies to campaign materials, said Mr. Siegel. If the Ford campaign purchased items such as signs, brochures or fridge magnets, Doug’s campaign must purchase them outright from his brother’s campaign fund.

Michael Ford faces a similar dynamic in his new campaign to become a school trustee for Ward 1. Any funds he raised during his low-profile race to succeed his uncle in Ward 2 are frozen and he has to start from zero.

Rob Ford can go back to contributors and ask for new donations, but individuals can give no more than $750 to a council campaign, whereas the ceiling for mayoralty runs is $2,500.

The laws do allow mayoral candidates to withdraw their own personal contributions from campaign accounts, if all the bills have been paid, and then transfer those sums to a council race. But it’s a potentially risky exercise. In 2010, when Giorgio Mammolitti halted his bid to run for mayor and registered to run as a ward councillor, he transferred funds, but was subsequently caught out by a compliance audit.

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Sep. 15 2014, 3:00 AM EDT

Last updated Monday, Sep. 15 2014, 3:06 AM EDT

Foxer
09-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Well that's going to really bite into the ford's campaigns i suspect. "hey, they took the money you gave me away, could I have some more?".

The election is on oct 27 as i recall, there's not a lot of time for fundraising. With tory having such a significant lead at this point, that's a tough hill to climb. Doug will have to do amazingly well in the debates I think to stand much of a chance.