PDA

View Full Version : 3.00" to 3.50"

atr
09-14-2014, 01:38 AM
So I just bought a side by side 12 gauge coach gun chambered in 3 inch mag . Can I just have the chambers bored longer to 3 and a half inch ? Hmmm , i say , hmmm ?

Foxer
09-14-2014, 02:59 AM
I wouldn't. I doubt the action or barrels are tested to 3.5 inch pressures. And even if you did, chances are it'd be cheaper to buy a new shotgun chambered that way anyway :)

I've honestly never really bought into the idea of the 3.5 inch 12 guage in the first place. THe optimum efficiency of a 12 guage shot column is 1 inch of shot, and optimum velocity is around 1200 fps. which is what you get in a standard 2.75 for the most part. Stretching it out to 3 and upping the speed a little is already moving away from that. About the only place it does any real good is turkeys, and even then I think there's better ways to achieve the same thing. Really if you want heavier shot than that buy a 10 gauge.

What is it you're trying to achieve with the 3.5?

Gaidheal
09-14-2014, 07:40 AM
But lightfield makes 3.5" SLUGS. haha

But to answer the question - do not do it. You want 3.5", go buy one.

Killing yourself with an explode-in-your-face bubba'd shotgun won't help you or the rest of us. :Beer time:

JustBen
09-14-2014, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't. I doubt the action or barrels are tested to 3.5 inch pressures. And even if you did, chances are it'd be cheaper to buy a new shotgun chambered that way anyway :)

I would agree.

A coach gun in 3.5 would boot you pretty good too!

blacksmithden
09-14-2014, 08:47 AM
I'll 2nd all of the above. It "can" be done, and the chambers would probably take it...but...there will always be that bit of doubt in your mind every time you pull the trigger. As others have said, by the time you found a gunsmith with the correct side reamer that would be willing to do it, got the gun to him, he did the job, got the gun back....you'd be into the price of a new gun.

I've never looked....does anyone make a coach gun with 3.5" chambers ? Like Ben said...a 3.5" coach gun is going to kick pretty hard.

Foxer
09-14-2014, 11:58 AM
I've never looked....does anyone make a coach gun with 3.5" chambers ? Like Ben said...a 3.5" coach gun is going to kick pretty hard.

I've never heard of one. At least not a production one. Probably a reason for that :)

JustBen
09-14-2014, 01:32 PM
Recoil alone shouldn't be a reason to not get it ;)

Foxer
09-14-2014, 02:26 PM

Well if you didn't 'get it' before you shot it, I suspect you'd get it when you did :) :)

Gaidheal
09-14-2014, 03:08 PM
I probably wouldn't shoot it, but I'd watch the hell out of the youtube video of someone else shooting it.

:Bang head:

road kill
09-15-2014, 03:40 AM

I agree with that statement, fear of getting booted is not a good reason for a larger chamber.