PDA

View Full Version : Justin Trudeauís abortion stance 'undemocratic,' say ex-MPs

Doug_M
09-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Some people think it is given that the Libs will win. I think the train wreck that is JT hasn't even started yet. Things will unravel for them.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/justin-trudeau-s-abortion-stance-undemocratic-say-ex-mps-1.2770351

Justin Trudeauís abortion stance 'undemocratic,' say ex-MPs

Seven former Liberal MPs have denounced Justin Trudeau, saying he is violating the spirit of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms with his stance on abortion, but the party says it will not back down from its defence of women's rights.
Seven former Liberal MPs have denounced Justin Trudeau, saying he is violating the spirit of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms with his stance on abortion, but the party says it will not back down from its defence of women's rights. (Tiffany Pope / CBC)
Seven former Liberal MPs have publicly denounced Justin Trudeau, saying he is violating the spirit of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms with his stance on abortion issues.

In May, Trudeau announced that new candidates for the party would be screened for their views on abortion and that anyone with anti-abortion views would have to agree to "vote pro-choice" on any bills. Sitting MPs would also have to agree to vote along party lines.

Trudeau says abortion rights trump MPs' freedom to vote their conscience
Trudeau event at Catholic school decried by anti-abortion protesters
"How can such a discriminatory policy serve the democratic ideals of our great nation?" the ex-MPs wrote in an open letter.

Trudeau has attempted to brand himself as a champion of openness and transparency, including committing to an open nomination process for prospective candidates in the next election. The ex-MPs who signed the letter say Trudeau's abortion policy shows he isn't respecting that promise.

"My hope is that this will generate debate about what we expect from our members of Parliament. Are they merely parrots who repeat what the leader says or are they people who can take positions that they think are in the best interests of the country?" said Tom Wappel, former Liberal MP for Scarborough-Southwest and one of the letter writers.

Wappel, who is an adviser to the anti-abortion group Campaign Life Coalition, said he worries a similar policy could eventually be applied to other issues such as euthanasia and human cloning.

Party 'will not back down'

The letter is also signed by Garnet Bloomfield, Murray Calder, Rex Crawford, Pat O'Brien, John O'Reilly and Janko Peric.

The Liberal Party said it will continue to stand by the policy.

"Anyone is entitled to hold their own personal views, but Canadians deserve to know that when they vote Liberal they will get an MP who will vote to defend women's rights in the House," party spokeswoman Kate Purchase said in a statement.

"Women's rights are long-held Liberal values that we will not back down from."

Rory McCanuck
09-18-2014, 03:00 PM
You are free to have any opinion you want, so long as it agrees with the party line, comrade.
After the Harper/Poroshenko show in Parliament yesterday, I think there will be about 1.2 million Ukrainian votes for the Conservatives. Anything that Mick's kid says or does really just hammers more nails in his political coffin.
http://www.websophist.com/Bugs_Bunny_MaroonAN.gif

bettercallsaul
09-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Yep. Women have the right to kill their unborn baby, no questions asked.

Until Canadians realize a new human being is in the womb at conception (unique DNA, distinct from the mothers body), we'll continue to use the law that you are not human until you come out of the womb, which is wrong.

Doug_M
09-18-2014, 03:44 PM
I just think it is funny after hearing all the anti harperites spout off about him being a dictator now support JT's dictatorial governance of the Lib party in the comments.

Foxer
09-18-2014, 03:46 PM
You are free to have any opinion you want, so long as it agrees with the party line, comrade.

LOL - exactly. Reminds me of that old joke. "you may have the red car". "don't I get a choice?" "Yes, you may choose any car you like as long as it's the red car".

I'm also wondering how this is playing in quebec, where roman catholic religion is fairly strong.