PDA

View Full Version : Those pesky Russians

Prairie Dog
09-19-2014, 11:31 PM
Canadian fighter jets intercept Russian bombers in Arctic

Fighter jets intercepted two Russian bombers flying about 75 kilometres off Canada’s Arctic coast in the early morning hours Thursday, NORAD revealed to CBC News.

Two CF-18s met the Tupolev Tu-95 long-range bombers, commonly referred to as "Bears," at around 1:30 a.m. PT as they flew a course in “the western reaches” of Canada’s Air Defence Identification Zone (ADIZ) over the Beaufort Sea, said Maj. Beth Smith, spokeswoman for North American Aerospace Defence Command.

The ADIZ extends approximately 320 kilometres from Canada’s coastlines, a distance far beyond the 22 kilometres, or 12 nautical miles, from the coast that define a nation’s sovereign airspace. Smith made it clear that the Russian bombers never entered Canada’s sovereign airspace, but did come within about 75 kilometres of Canada's mainland.

The encounter comes one day after Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko delivered a speech in Parliament thanking Canada for its ongoing support as his country’s forces battle with pro-Russian separatist rebels.

“This is disturbing. We’ve heard stories like in the past, of Russian bombers challenging Canadian airspace,” said James Bezan, parliamentary secretary to the Minister of National Defence and a Conservative MP from Manitoba.

“This plays into the narrative of a Putin regime that’s more aggressive not just in Crimea, not just in Ukraine, but indeed testing their neighbour in their entire region," he said.

About six hours before the CF-18s intercepted the Russian bombers, American F-22 fighter jets were scrambled from a base in Alaska to meet a group of Russian aircraft, including two refuelling tankers, two MiG-31 fighters and two long-range bombers.

After the U.S. jets made contact, the group headed west back towards Russian airspace.

“We’re seeing increased aggressive actions being taken by the Russian Federation,” Bezan said during an interview on CBC’s Power & Politics.

Despite the ongoing tensions between Western allies and Russia, it is not the first time Canadian and U.S. aircraft have intercepted Russian bombers seemingly flying toward sovereign airspace.

According to Smith, NORAD has dispatched fighter jets to make contact with Russian long-range bombers “in excess of 50 times” in the last five years.

Canadian jets intercepted the same type of long-range bombers off the coast of Newfoundland in 2010. After that incident, Peter MacKay, then minister of defence, told CBC News that Canadian military aircraft intercept between 12 and 18 Russian bombers annually.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canadian-fighter-jets-intercept-russian-bombers-in-arctic-1.2772440

Foxer
09-19-2014, 11:50 PM
“This is disturbing. We’ve heard stories like in the past, of Russian bombers challenging Canadian airspace,” s

The past? They do it pretty regularly! Harper pointed this out only a year or so ago. And not just to us.

And it's a bear. They're still propeller driven for heaven's sake. It's just a game and they've played it for years.

Prairie Dog
09-20-2014, 12:04 AM
What do you think they're up to? Just trying to push someone's buttons?

Foxer
09-20-2014, 12:30 AM
What do you think they're up to? Just trying to push someone's buttons?

Well a little bit - but mostly they're testing response times and radar detection ranges and gathering other intel about how varous nations react so that if it's ever real, they'll be able to plan.

But - yes it's also to push some buttons and remind the various powers that the Russians are there, they're armed, and they're not all THAT friendly :)

lone-wolf
09-20-2014, 09:23 AM
I wonder how many times us/canadian planes are intercepted by the russians. I assume this game goes both ways.

Xtreme
09-20-2014, 09:58 AM
I wonder how many times us/canadian planes are intercepted by the russians. I assume this game goes both ways.

Read my mind, word for word.

Doug_M
09-20-2014, 10:38 AM
The difference is, as far as I know, we haven't/don't probe their defenses with strategic bombers.

Strangeday
09-20-2014, 10:46 AM
There goes a big part of the demand for the F-35 argument about range and ability. Like i've said before. The OPFOR would need to send a refueling aircraft to serve as a tanker to keep any fighters aloft. The Russians this time send Mig31 B models to act as a parasite unit to the Bear Bombers. If the Migs were armed with AA12's then having them used as an intercept to inbound fighters would have them track and engage at stand off distance before fighters were in tactical range of the Bears. At that point it's a one way trip for the Migs of the tankers are hit. So..

This is nothing more than just an exercise for Shits and giggles. If we really wanted to mess with the with the Russians we would have just ignored them.

Strangeday
09-20-2014, 10:47 AM
The difference is, as far as I know, we haven't/don't probe their defenses with strategic bombers.

We don't have any strategic bombers in decades. We haven't had tactical bombers since 1984

Foxer
09-20-2014, 11:08 AM

The americans have always preferred genuine spy planes. Remember, this is largely what the SR-71 program was all about - a plane that could fly so fast and high that it couldn't be intercepted.

You'll recall the U-2 incident in the 60s where it was believed the U-2 was too high for the russians to intercept, till one got shot down over russian airspace :)

Nowadays I think they just fly recon aircraft close to the border, similar to what the russians do with their bombers, and I suspect the russian bombers are loaded with similar electronics. The us also puts it's warships close to international borders - nothing like a carrier battle group to remind people you CAN reach out and touch them if you want to :)

Strewth
09-20-2014, 11:30 AM
And it's a bear. They're still propeller driven for heaven's sake. It's just a game and they've played it for years.

?
http://image17.spreadshirt.net/image-server/v1/compositions/200716711/views/1,width=235,height=235,appearanceId=317/Propeller-Hat-Teddy-Bear-T-Shirts.jpg

In Russia Bear shoots you!

Doug_M
09-20-2014, 12:18 PM
We don't have any strategic bombers in decades. We haven't had tactical bombers since 1984
By we I meant NORAD and yes "we" still have the B52s after all these decades.

Strangeday
09-20-2014, 01:23 PM
The americans have always preferred genuine spy planes. Remember, this is largely what the SR-71 program was all about - a plane that could fly so fast and high that it couldn't be intercepted.

You'll recall the U-2 incident in the 60s where it was believed the U-2 was too high for the russians to intercept, till one got shot down over russian airspace :)

Nowadays I think they just fly recon aircraft close to the border, similar to what the russians do with their bombers, and I suspect the russian bombers are loaded with similar electronics. The us also puts it's warships close to international borders - nothing like a carrier battle group to remind people you CAN reach out and touch them if you want to :)

Funny, I think the reason they actually retired the SR71's was because the Mig 25/Mig 31's could actually catch them.

Haywire1
09-20-2014, 03:17 PM
Mig 31 top speed 3000 kph
Sr71 top speed 3540 kph

Once the Sr71 and spares were built, the manufacturing equipment was destroyed rather than mothballed. A lack of spares coupled with the rise of stealth aircraft such as the f117, and the b1 stealth bomber, increase in the usage and development of drones, coupled with massive increases in capabilities of surveillance sattelites had a lot more to do with the demise of the sr71

Strangeday
09-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Mig 31 top speed 3000 kph
Sr71 top speed 3540 kph

Once the Sr71 and spares were built, the manufacturing equipment was destroyed rather than mothballed. A lack of spares coupled with the rise of stealth aircraft such as the f117, and the b1 stealth bomber, increase in the usage and development of drones, coupled with massive increases in capabilities of surveillance sattelites had a lot more to do with the demise of the sr71

Firing an AA-9 (Mach 4.5) while flying at 3000kph it's pretty easy to catch an SR71. I know someone who worked on photo recce with SR71 and U2's out of Elmendorf back in the early 80's. He says very clearly that the arrival of Mig31's armed with the R-33's and the radar tracking system of the Mig31's were a complete game changer for the SR71.

Sabio
09-20-2014, 06:45 PM
Funny how they say 'Intercepted'. Like the Russians were doing something wrong? Or they were inbound to lay waste to Canada and luckily we got there in time and scared them away. ;)

Haywire1
09-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Oh no arguememts over that one, just pointing out there were other factors at play as well. like the retirement of any system, one reason alone isnt enough, as quite often the same system can be retasked/repurposed for another usage or role. Cheers

conger
09-20-2014, 09:07 PM
I spent a couple of years serving in NORAD in the early 1980s. The cat and mouse game with the bears was a something that happened a couple of times a month. Tense times to say the least. We worked closely with the Americans both in house and with the other lateral tels. I would have been surprised if it wasn't still happening. As far as those old bombers are concerned. I'm sure the avionics has been upgraded to keep up with the times. The engines are counter reciprocating propeller driven. They move those old girls right along very well and they have an airframe like a tank. Like the B52s can haul a massive payload.
I don't miss those times. What Putin is doing makes me worry a bit. I think there are some bad times coming.
Just thought I would toss a couple if comments in.

Stephen
09-21-2014, 12:56 AM
Mean while we are weak as ____ and our country is full of sissies.

Good times ahead.

Prairie Dog
09-21-2014, 01:00 AM

Good times ahead.

Just imagine if JT was in charge.

Sabio
09-21-2014, 06:18 AM
Just imagine if JT was in charge.

The sissies would be really relaxed Man, like, no problem Man. Seeing those Russians is so out-of-sight, You Dig? My Friends MoonChild and Blossom have it all under control Man..........

Swampdonkey
09-21-2014, 06:48 AM

Good times ahead.

I'd say in many ways the Russians are culturally stronger and superior to Canadians these days.

Petamocto
09-21-2014, 07:03 AM
This is always my favourite go-to pic when this subject comes up.

100 years of flight, with one aircraft being in the middle at 50 years and the other being the most high-tech at the end of the century.

http://sfcitizen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/f22_tu95bear-copy.jpg

conger
09-21-2014, 08:42 AM
This is always my favourite go-to pic when this subject comes up.

100 years of flight, with one aircraft being in the middle at 50 years and the other being the most high-tech at the end of the century.

http://sfcitizen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/f22_tu95bear-copy.jpg
That Russian bomber may not be that old just because it is running props. They have always been able to achieve both impressive altitudes and range. Plus packing a dozen 2k pounders. Overall they are an impressive aircraft. I always thought the counter rotating propellers were a neat thing.

lone-wolf
09-21-2014, 09:28 AM
I'd say in many ways the Russians are culturally stronger and superior to Canadians these days.

Culturally they have a longer history.
But when a large portion of your population is killed by your own government, and you look back on those days fondly for having a strong culture, then you are F in the head.

conger
09-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Culturally they have a longer history.
But when a large portion of your population is killed by your own government, and you look back on those days fondly for having a strong culture, then you are F in the head.
Considering how Putin has behaved toward Obama because he considers Obama to be a weak leader. I hope we never have to worry about the weasel JT representing Canada on a world stage. He would never be able to appear as a strong stable leader with a spine. God help us if this next election goes bad.

Swampdonkey
09-21-2014, 10:25 AM
As I see it, from the early 90s Canada has been in cultural decline. Around the same time, Russia started to advance. Not necessarily politically or economically, just culturally. It hasn't always been so, just "these days".

lone-wolf
09-21-2014, 10:41 AM
What's a culture anyways. "the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively."
If throwing artists in jail is culture, Russia is doing a great job.

Foxer
09-21-2014, 10:43 AM
What's a culture anyways. "the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively."
If throwing artists in jail is culture, Russia is doing a great job.

Yes, the russians are big into 'performance art' :) (free pussy riot!)

conger
09-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Yes, the russians are big into 'performance art' :) (free pussy riot!)
Lol :D

Camo tung
09-21-2014, 11:21 AM
Abruptly put an end to my promising Russian mail-order bride franchise. :mad1:

conger
09-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Maybe you can swing something with the free trade agreement.

Prairie Dog
09-21-2014, 11:30 AM

Then I want my deposit back!

Camo tung
09-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Then I want my deposit back!

I need another 30 days. I've arranged for Svetlana to traverse cross-continent on a series of rafts and goats. Watch for it on the next installment of "Uncharted" with Jim Shockey.

Strewth
09-21-2014, 11:40 AM
I need another 30 days. I've arranged for Svetlana to traverse cross-continent on a series of rafts and goats. Watch for it on the next installment of "Uncharted" with Jim Shockey.

Sounds cultural! Maybe some government funding is in order.

Foxer
09-21-2014, 11:42 AM

Well you're the expert, but i'm not sure why you'd need a goat on a raft.

Prairie dog: Good news! Sounds like your deposit is being used to pay for her transport, as it should, and she'll soon be in your arms (after a quick shower presumably). So, y'know.. 25 bucks well spent I'd say.

Prairie Dog
09-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Sounds cultural! Maybe some government funding is in order.

Don't encourage him! He's on days off and has a lot of free time on his hands.

Camo tung
09-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Prairie dog: Good news! Sounds like your deposit is being used to pay for her transport, as it should, and she'll soon be in your arms (after a quick shower presumably). So, y'know.. 25 bucks well spent I'd say.

I'm all about the "customer experience". Of course PD will need to re-read the exceptionally small print on that document. Should said "goods" not measure up to his expectations there is the option to accept the goat instead. After the length of trip it may actually be fluent in Russian too. Should your new bride be plumper than expected on arrival, and the goat is missing, there will be an extra charge for her learning to cook Greek.

Foxer
09-21-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm all about the "customer experience". Of course PD will need to re-read the exceptionally small print on that document. Should said "goods" not measure up to his expectations there is the option to accept the goat instead. After the length of trip it may actually be fluent in Russian too. Should your new bride be plumper than expected on arrival, and the goat is missing, there will be an extra charge for her learning to cook Greek.

Sensible policies for a happier Canada i'd say. I mean, a goat that can do yard work AND help you pen nasty letters to putin? NOW how much would you pay? But wait... there's more! It also composts garbage, head-butts the neighbour's Chihuahua on command, and can STILL chew tin cans THIS thin!

I don't know about charging for learning greek tho, i think you're thinking lamb - russians have been cooking goat for years. However- if she's a few pounds heavier than expected, I THINK you could probably shoe-horn in an extra charge under the 'oversized' luggage provisions.

Foxer
09-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Actually - put me down for one of those goats.

Camo tung
09-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Actually - put me down for one of those goats.

Happy to reach an mutually agreeable solution after not being able to fulfill your bride order. Two eyebrows at your price point was going to be unachievable.

Prairie Dog
09-21-2014, 12:23 PM
I need another 30 days. I've arranged for Svetlana to traverse cross-continent on a series of rafts and goats.

....at least she isn't coming by rail.

Camo tung
09-21-2014, 12:26 PM
....at least she isn't coming by rail.
Could show her off to Den at the crossing at C/bar?

Foxer
09-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Happy to reach an mutually agreeable solution after not being able to fulfill your bride order. Two eyebrows at your price point was going to be unachievable.

What I ACTUALLY said was "she has to have two eyes, bro."

Haywire1
09-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Omg yall are fricking hilarious. Way off topic, but hilarious. PD if your that worried about doorkicking secret police activities, importing a russian is a sensible idea for sure. ;)

Strewth
09-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Don't let him hornswoggle you Foxer!

If this so called "goat" can:

pen nasty letters to putinSternly admonish Human Rights violators

composts garbageRecycle balderdash

head-butts the neighbour's Chihuahua on commandExhibit sociopathic tendencies

re-read the exceptionally small printExcel at meaningless minutiae

may actually be fluent in RussianBe bilingual

I think he's trying to sell you a UN bureaucrat. Worth far less than a pedigreed Russian White, IMHO.

Foxer
09-21-2014, 03:34 PM
I think he's trying to sell you a UN bureaucrat. Worth far less than a pedigreed Russian White, IMHO.

Well thank Christ we figured THAT out before I tried milking.

Strewth
09-21-2014, 03:57 PM
Well thank Christ we figured THAT out before I tried milking.

I think the bigger problem avoided would be when you woke up to the bureaucrat milking you.

Rory McCanuck
09-21-2014, 04:09 PM
*In frickin' tears here*
So, Rooshins bad,
http://www.recycledsurfboards.com/whatever-floats-your-goat-9gag-16.jpeg

goats good?
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2518879232/h03D700BA/

Petamocto
09-21-2014, 04:25 PM
http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/rx51f1882d.jpg

Strewth
09-21-2014, 04:30 PM
^Since they're being transported by raft, A nice sideline moneymaker might be an optional CD with your purchase: Mail-order brides (and bears) singing a rousing rendition of that classic Russian children's song "Row, row, row, your goat..."

Foxer
09-21-2014, 05:15 PM
^Since they're being transported by raft, A nice sideline moneymaker might be an optional CD with your purchase: Mail-order brides (and bears) singing a rousing rendition of that classic Russian children's song "Row, row, row, your goat..."

Yeah, or you could make 'em pay NOT to have to listen to it :) (seriously, it's un bear able)

Given world events I"d be more interested in accessories to resolve conflict. Like an optional tipi for the yard, so that when she gets mad and threatens to annex the bedroom you can tell her "no, you need some time in de tente ".

Strewth
09-21-2014, 05:22 PM
^As long as you don't go for the "Two for One" tipi sale. I find it makes me two tents.

Foxer
09-21-2014, 05:35 PM
^As long as you don't go for the "Two for One" tipi sale. I find it makes me two tents.

GROAN!! :) - That's terrible - tho i did laugh. In fact I laughed till it yurt :)

Strewth
09-21-2014, 07:27 PM
^Well....you could always buy one in the off-season, I hear they're cheaper this year.

That's right, now is the winter of our discount tents.

Foxer
09-21-2014, 07:54 PM
^Well....you could always buy one in the off-season, I hear they're cheaper this year.

That's right, now is the winter of our discount tents.

ROFLMAO - oh no, Shakespeare references yet!

Hey, i just wanted a russian-trained goat, I don't have a stake in the tent issue. I could canvass others to see how they feel, but honestly I think we're dome here.

Edenchef
09-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Go to your rooms...all of you! And no bacon for breakfast!

Cheers!

Strewth
09-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Go to your rooms...all of you! And no bacon for breakfast!

No bacon!

A portent! But really what do you expect when you buy at a discount.

(now I'm dome too.)

Back to talk of Russian bombers! Don't Bears light up the radar like crazy, and have a max speed of 600mph? Kinda lumbering and large, very aptly named.

Foxer
09-21-2014, 10:06 PM
No bacon!

Well, we still have the goat. So... souvlaki?

Strewth
09-21-2014, 10:45 PM
You know, I was actually making an effort with the airspeed there. Not much of an effort mind you, but still I thi...
http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/thomastrainwreck.jpg

Mmmmm souvlaki.
...is that Russian? I thought the word was Greek?
If we're doing Greek make mine Calamari, please. With fresh 'ziki.

Prairie Dog
09-21-2014, 11:07 PM
http://maps.mikesmarauders.com/guitar/thomastrainwreck.jpg

That's not funny!!! :) I just came home from the mother of all hell gigs.... bearly made it through. Greek salad, ribs and lemon roast potatos for me please. Maybe start with some Avgolemeno soup? .... and a Caesar, lots of Caesars.....

Foxer
09-21-2014, 11:43 PM
Mmmmm souvlaki.
...is that Russian? I thought the word was Greek?
If we're doing Greek make mine Calamari, please. With fresh 'ziki.

Where the hell am I going to find a russian squid?!? Be reasonable, comrade.

I could probably do you up a nice goat borscht if you like? I know it's normally a vegetarian dish, but my oma was always a half bubble off at the best of times, and she hated goats. And vegetarians. (got I HOPE it was goat borsht now that I think of it.)

We could slip a little east and do a nice goat curry?

Edenchef
09-21-2014, 11:48 PM
Jamaican Curried Goat is great, Mon.

Cheers!

Foxer
09-22-2014, 01:02 AM

Cheers!

http://i.redsnapperverytasty.com/graphics/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/whatever-floats-your-goat-200x166.jpg

Strangeday
09-22-2014, 08:13 AM

Cheers!

Actually I was at Jamaica Inn in Ochos Rios last year and the curried goat was fantastic

Strewth
09-22-2014, 10:03 AM
The only goat I've had was curried, I like it very much. Hmmmm, the only time I didn't like it was this one place in Surrey where I think they just chopped up the whole goat, bones and all. Spicy is OK, spiky is not.
I've never tried it in a borscht, sounds interesting! Do I still get lots of sour cream?

Sorry about the derail pic PD, I actually was trying to stay away from the actual train photos:)
Speaking of photos, I thought Russian Squid was worthy of a Google

Where the hell am I going to find a russian squid?!? Be reasonable, comrade.

and I found it quite a popular political cartoon as related to that area, oddly enough.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/5899297916_2a422461e8_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6019/5899349896_d115ac8223_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5079/5898732547_6f489ddd74_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5308/5899406954_efd57fe070_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5152/5898732849_8f9436b03f.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5155/5899297552_c04cdaf7dd_b.jpg