PDA

View Full Version : welder for sculpting

rb45
09-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Picked up a cheep used Miller ACDC stick welder for my sculpting hobby.
Will be using 7018 and 6011 for tacking. I've come across several brands and wondering if anyone knows

Is one brand better than an other?

Will be welding steel pipe, plate and the odd cultivator blades and such up to 1/4"

RD777
09-21-2014, 02:55 PM
For what you are doing with them, buy the cheapest.

Also, get yourself a little welding rod oven that keeps the rods dry.

rb45
09-21-2014, 03:03 PM
OK????? Wouldn't the screw top plastic tubes suffice???

And if not, how long would this oven have to be plugged in to dry the rods?

Rory McCanuck
09-21-2014, 03:54 PM
From the other thread:

Huh, interesting question.
I've always just more or less went with what was at hand.
Keep them dry and I've never really had any problems.
I had trouble with some Princess Auto ones in a humid garage one summer, but the other rods weren't any better.
A pick-axe makes a nice hole to run a trouble light cord through the side of an old fridge.
Keep your rods in there with the light on for heat, never have any problems again.

A 50 watt trouble light bulb is more than enough to keep a full size fridge hot, like you may want to wear glove to get rods hot. I'd think even a 25 watts bulb would be lots for a small bar fridge.

stevesummit
09-21-2014, 06:31 PM
For what you are doing with them, buy the cheapest.

Also, get yourself a little welding rod oven that keeps the rods dry.

No need for an oven for just welding this stuff together waste of money

rb45
09-21-2014, 07:51 PM
At school they had a plastic tube with screw on lid which had a rubber seal.
Since no mention of a stick oven was made in sculpting class, I'm assuming now that these tubes were meant to keep out moisture.
Thanks for the info

telecaster
09-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Will be using 7018 and 6011 for tacking. I've come across several brands and wondering if anyone knows

Will be welding steel pipe, plate and the odd cultivator blades and such up to 1/4"

6011 is an AC electrode and doesn't need to be kept in an oven. I'm at the QEPS right now and our 7018 DC rods are kept in a main oven at 350F or thereabouts. Once they leave the rod shack, they're in the round rod cans which are plugged in so the temp can still be around 350F to keep the moisture out of the rods.
Rod cans are not cheap. Go with the 6011AC rods.

telecaster
09-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Had a Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt in the late 80s for my garage. Not a bad machine at all. Duty cycle is 10 or 20%. As long as you're not going flat out pouring rod, it's a great welder.