PDA

View Full Version : Iraq mission consultation 'phoney,' Tom Mulcair says

Billythreefeathers
10-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Iraq mission consultation 'phoney,' Tom Mulcair says

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/iraq-mission-consultation-phoney-tom-mulcair-says-1.2785209

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has already decided to plunge Canada into a combat mission, rendering any parliamentary consultation "phoney," NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said today.
Harper briefed the Conservative caucus Wednesday on the options for Canada to increase its contribution in the fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, also known as ISIS or ISIL. He says he'll bring any plan for a combat mission to the House of Commons for a debate and vote.
 Justin Trudeau: PM 'hasn't even tried' to make case for expanded Iraq role
 ANALYSIS | Harper readying groundwork for Canada's turn in Iraq​
Canada has offered 69 military advisers, although the Conservatives admitted Wednesday that only 29 are on the ground in Iraq. Canada has also been flying military aid provided by other countries and as of last week had completed 25 flights carrying more than 680,000 kilograms of military equipment to northern Iraq.
"There's no question that Mr. Harper's mind's already been made up so any consultation at this stage of the game, frankly, will be phoney," Mulcair told CBC News.
"This is not a UN mission, it's not a NATO mission, and Canadians should have full information before we plunge head long into another war."
Mulcair also criticized Harper for planning to announce on Friday what Canada will do to help fight ISIS. That's a day on which the House sits for only a few hours, and when many MPs are either back in their ridings or en route.
Trudeau calls Harper's approach 'troubling'
"On issues of national importance, and there is nothing more important about the life of our country than asking whether we're going to tell young Canadians to go into war," Mulcair said.
"[But] Mr. Harper's playing a political game. He's not providing information to Canadians, he's not providing information to Parliament... There's been no discussion, no debate. Now they say there's going to be a vote, but it's going to be a fait accompli."
Mulcair and Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau, who spoke at a conference in Ottawa on Thursday, are sounding similar notes in their criticism of Harper. On Wednesday, both said Harper hasn't properly made his case for a combat mission.
Like Mulcair, Trudeau, in his speech Thursday, attacked Harper's handling of the debate.
"How did Mr. Harper let Canadians know that he was thinking about their fellow citizens into war? He announced it casually in New York — during an interview with the Wall Street Journal at Goldman Sachs," Trudeau said.
The Liberal leader called Harper's approach "troubling," and said the government hasn't briefed the opposition leaders and hasn't answered specific questions in the House about the possible mission.
"Canada has asked a lot of our men and women in uniform over the last decade. And too often they have returned home only to be let down. If we dare ask more of them now, there ought to be a good reason," Trudeau said.
"Canadians expect the highest standard of openness and honesty from a leader who wants to send our forces to war. Prime Minister Harper has so far failed to meet that standard."

Billythreefeathers
10-02-2014, 10:56 AM
PM Harper is the only PM to consult and vote on any missions,,

would you rather fight ISIS in Iraq or in downtown cowtown?

killer kane
10-02-2014, 11:30 AM
The dippers and liebs would join them.

atr
10-02-2014, 06:43 PM
After Vice News got the interview with the "Canadian" in ISIS who promised to bring terrorism in every form to Canada and murder Canadians until they convert and accept Sharia law , all bets are off .

Foxer
10-02-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm not sure supply flights and 29 advisers constitutes a 'war'.

soulchaser
10-02-2014, 07:49 PM
It's called a Conservative majority Tommy. Suck it up buttercup.

Harper has brought every decision to send troops into combat tbefore the house for debate.

The Liberal party supported Canada's role in airstrikes in Libya. ISIL is a more serious threat than Gaddafi, yet they won't support military action against them.

Guess Justin doesn't want to lose the support of all those radical Islamists he's worked so hard to get here at home.

soulchaser
10-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Mulcair also criticized Harper for planning to announce on Friday what Canada will do to help fight ISIS. That's a day on which the House sits for only a few hours, and when many MPs are either back in their ridings or en route."

You've been complaining for days Harper hasn't provided details.

He has given you 36 hours notice the details would come on Friday.

Now you're still bitching.

Surely your MP's can stay in Ottawa a few hours longer to here them.

Strangeday
10-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Enough with this talk crap....it's time to get it on once and for all

Foxer
10-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Enough with this talk crap....it's time to get it on once and for all

What're you suggesting, mulcair and harper: fisticuffs at dawn? :)

Strangeday
10-02-2014, 10:02 PM
What're you suggesting, mulcair and harper: fisticuffs at dawn? :)

The biggest mistake the NDP have ever made is thinking they were relevant. Jesus...get a minority government once and now everybody has lost their head thinking that somehow they are players. Reminds me of a rich guy who invites a high school friend to dinner with other rich guys....the friend can carry a conversation and somehow starts to think he is in the same universe.

soulchaser
10-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Trudeau - “Unlike prime ministers for decades before him, Mr. Harper has made no effort to build a non-partisan case for war."

Ummm, Justin?

Liberal PM Chretien committed troops to Afghanistan WITHOUT seeking a debate or vote in parliament.

Liberal PM Martin agreed to shift Canadian troops from the relative safety of Kabul to a combat mission in Kandahar WITHOUT debate or putting it to a vote in parliament

The first debate on Afghanistan took place in 2006 after Harper became PM and wanted to extend the mission.

blacksmithden
10-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Mulcair and Trudeau vs Harper, as written by the CBC. Why is my laptop emitting the smell of bull----? Oh wait.....answered my own question....never mind. :rolleyes:

Foxer
10-02-2014, 11:38 PM
Trudeau - “Unlike prime ministers for decades before him, Mr. Harper has made no effort to build a non-partisan case for war."

Yeah! Why - next he'll do something TOTALLY unprecedented like declare martial law or something!!!!

Oh... wait...

blacksmithden
10-03-2014, 12:41 AM
Yeah! Why - next he'll do something TOTALLY unprecedented like declare martial law or something!!!!

Oh... wait...

I seem to remember someone pushing the full panic button when the FLQ was stirring up trouble...now, who was that again.....Oh....wait... :rolleyes:

Foxer
10-03-2014, 07:56 AM
I seem to remember someone pushing the full panic button when the FLQ was stirring up trouble...now, who was that again.....Oh....wait... :rolleyes:

Exactly :)

And what was his famous line when asked how far he'd go? Did he say "i'll consult with parliament?" No. Did he say "I need to build a non partisan case for this"? No. He said - "Well, just watch me."

Sorry justin. Daddy already set that bar a lot higher than Harper is.

blacksmithden
10-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Daddy was one of the more undemocratic twits we ever had that Im aware of. Oh...and Foxer...youre old. :D

Foxer
10-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Daddy was one of the more undemocratic twits we ever had that Im aware of. Oh...and Foxer...youre old. :D

I prefer to think of myself as 'young for a tortoise." :) Anyway - I'm ageless. I'm young and old at the same time. Or at least that's what I tell strewth when he bugs me about my age. He seems to feel the best way to resolve it once and for all is to cut me in half and count the rings - that guy worries me sometimes.

Haywire1
10-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Seems like a sensible way to find out to me foxer. And to be on topic, angry tom is a moron riding on laytons coat tails.