PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on the browning BLR?

Drache
10-07-2014, 10:19 AM
My dad wanted a new hunting rifle and after much talking, decided on a .308 since it's good for both deer and moose (and since all my rifles are .308 it would make reloading a little easier once that is all set up).

Now the big problem is, my father is left handed and left handed rifles can be difficult to find. My dad wanted a rifle that was in .308, left handed, wood stock, and accurate. Can NOT be Remington (they have left a really bad taste in his mouth). Savage doesn't make any left handed bolt action rifles in wood stocks (and he doesn't want to order a boyds stock). Browning makes the Xbolt in left handed wood. They have to be ordered though which isn't that big of a deal. Can't find anything on wood left handed stocks for Weatherby.

The local gunstore happened to have two of the BLR pistol grips in stock in .308 for a decent price, about $850. My dad has a winchester 94, so he likes lever action rifles. Reviews on the BLR seen to be pretty good although two things pop up. First is you cannot totally disassemble them. Normal cleaning is fine but to open up the internals it needs to supposedly go to a gunsmith and a Browning smith is preferred. The second is that some people complained about the triggers on them. I haven't gotten to shoulder one yet and test it out so I'm not sure what the complaints are. But people are touting the accuracy of them.

Anyone here own one and can comment?

Rory McCanuck
10-07-2014, 12:48 PM
I know sk8r has said she really likes hers.
I've never really heard anything but good things about them.
The new model of them is a take-down, meaning you can remove the barrel from the action to clean it.
Seems like a good idea to me.
Haven't seen any of those for sale cheap used, though ;)

I've got a Rem7600 pump in 30-06 and another on the way in .280, they would work well for a lefty.
They're old enough that they were built before Remington became evil incarnate.

kennymo
10-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Had one in 300 Win mag a number of years ago. It had a wandering zero issue that wasn't scope mount related, I was too impatient to bother researching and fiddling with it back then so I traded it in.
My uncle has a somewhat older one in 308, it's been a flawless moose and deer getter for quite some time now. It started shooting erratically a couple years back, but a few days soaking the bore in copper solvent tuned it right up again.
I've briefly handled a few other examples and other than my lemon they seem like a sound rifle. Accuracy is good enough for hunting, the uncle's 308 took a moose with one shot at 500 yards and became a minor camp legend. Nowadays they can be had in either pistol grip or a straight stock to suit your personal taste. And the one thing I miss about mine? That action is smooth as butter.

road kill
10-07-2014, 01:06 PM
I had one back in the late 70's or early 80's in 308, good rifle with reasonable accuracy. I have had one stripped down for rebluing and ya they are not for the average guy to tear apart. Can't comment on the current production but i liked mine, only sold it when another rifle came calling. A Browning 78 as i remember it.

Drache
10-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Went up and held it today. Here's what I noticed:

1) Action is smooth. Feels different compared to the winchesters I'm used to but smooth.

2) Very lightweight rifle.

3) Browning says the stock is Walnut but feels like plastic and sounds "plasticy" when you knock on it?

4) The trigger has a lot of creep on it compared to the Xbolt I have. Not a big deal for a minor hunting rifle.

5) I've heard stories on accuracy from 1" down to pictures showing 0.30" groupings at 100 yards.

kennymo
10-07-2014, 01:25 PM
If you get one that shoots better than an inch and a half you're doing fine, they're accurate as far as lever actions go. .30 groups from a lever I find difficult to believe....
Trigger is not terrible but not great, again pretty good compared to some other levers.
The stock is definitely wood, you'll find that out after you gouge a chunk out of the thick coat of varnish, trust me lol.

Drache
10-07-2014, 01:31 PM
.30 groups from a lever I find difficult to believe....

So did I until I see the pictures. 243 with handloads. Three shots, one large ragged hole.

OEM
10-07-2014, 03:08 PM
If you get one that shoots better than an inch and a half you're doing fine, they're accurate as far as lever actions go. .30 groups from a lever I find difficult to believe....
Trigger is not terrible but not great, again pretty good compared to some other levers.
The stock is definitely wood, you'll find that out after you gouge a chunk out of the thick coat of varnish, trust me lol.

A Ruger Number 1 is a VERY ACCURATE lever action rifle. I remember taking my first large game with a hastily handed to me Ruger Number 1. My first hunt, my first deer, my first shot at a living thing. The bullet went through both shoulders. The deer was down and although still alive, unable to get up.

That first shot I will always remember. I remember the pandemonium AFTER the shot when I was trying to figure out how to eject the round and chamber another and the guy who handed me the rifle saying, relax, its only got one shot, and you made it count.

If he had told me that BEFORE I took the shot, I would likely have missed.

kennymo
10-07-2014, 03:33 PM
A Ruger Number 1 is a VERY ACCURATE lever action rifle. I remember taking my first large game with a hastily handed to me Ruger Number 1. My first hunt, my first deer, my first shot at a living thing. The bullet went through both shoulders. The deer was down and although still alive, unable to get up.

That first shot I will always remember. I remember the pandemonium AFTER the shot when I was trying to figure out how to eject the round and chamber another and the guy who handed me the rifle saying, relax, its only got one shot, and you made it count.

If he had told me that BEFORE I took the shot, I would likely have missed.

Lol, falling blocks don't count! I have a neat little Savage .22 drop block in the safe. It's a keeper ;)

OEM
10-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Hahah! Still a lever...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haywire1
10-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Nope. A lever action removes the fired cartridge and chambers a new one from the magazine upon the opening and closing of the lever.
A falling block uses a lever to open and close the action only.

Being as a ruger #1 the lever doesnt chamber a fresh cartridge from the magazine (not having one) not a lever.
Technically a bolt action, some semi auto, a break action all use levers of some kind to function. Doesnt make em lever action tho.

CLW .45
10-08-2014, 12:42 AM
I own one and I like it.

My brother-in-law is a lefty. He has two, a .308 and a .243.

Tried for years to buy his .308 after he bought the .243 for deer.

No way is he letting it go.

Finally gave up and bought one from P&D.

No regrets.

weasel
10-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Don't ever take one apart.

OEM
10-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Nope. A lever action removes the fired cartridge and chambers a new one from the magazine upon the opening and closing of the lever.
A falling block uses a lever to open and close the action only.

Being as a ruger #1 the lever doesnt chamber a fresh cartridge from the magazine (not having one) not a lever.
Technically a bolt action, some semi auto, a break action all use levers of some kind to function. Doesnt make em lever action tho.

That was interesting. I never knew that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sk8r
10-08-2014, 02:41 PM
Said it before. I'll gladly say it again...... I LOVE MY .308 BLR.. ;D ;D ;D
Greatest, most reliable, best best best gun I own or have ever owned (and that's quite a few..... ;) )

L33CHW33D
10-10-2014, 11:49 AM
My dad owns 2. A .308 and 7mm. The .308 has trigger/firing pin problems and after taking it to the gun smith it never fixed the issue. The 7mm works well. Lever's are nice because they can reload quick, good guns for stalking, walking, standing, bush hunting, stuff like that.

adrielm
10-27-2014, 01:22 PM
I love that they use a detachable magazine, they're easy to scope, and they use ballistically better cartridges than typical lever actions. My dad's a leftie too and he loves his BLR.

Looky
11-03-2014, 06:34 PM
I have one BLR81 358win and the other is an older BLR 308win.
Just mounted a 4200 on the 308.
Haven't checked it for accuracy yet.
The 358win is my go to rifle.............fer now.

Both have the long pull trigger and they don't bother me one bit.
The older lever has a pound less pull.
Seems a tad smoother too, maybe mawr s'perience........ :D