PDA

View Full Version : No more SKS at Canadian Tire

Mad Hatter
10-10-2014, 12:40 PM
I've been following the NFA FB page and there seems to be a lot of discussion about Canadian Tire at several locations across Canada pulling their SKS's off the shelf with no explanation. Anybody know anything? Has it got anything with their new marketing strategy to become more young people and family oriented?

kennymo
10-10-2014, 12:45 PM
They yanked them off the shelves in some locales following Moncton. Head office was rumoured to be trying to cut back on the sales of 'tactical' type guns as well at one point. Is this just in the last couple days or what?

Kane63
10-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Just some rumblings about poorly/improperly pinned mags.

Gunexpert007
10-10-2014, 01:47 PM
The removal of SKSs from CTC has only been occuring the last few days......no official word yet from CTC as to why , but there is speculation that an SKS went full auto in slamfire mode at an Ontario shooting range recently , and some whiner went complaining about it . If some of these people would take a few minutes to clean the grease and cosmoline out from around the firing pin after they buy an SKS , then they would not have these slamfires........now I suppose there will be a big push on to ban SKSs ........

GlockGuy
10-10-2014, 02:48 PM
I am going to pump my SKS full of Cosmoline & try to duplicate this Full Auto mode Haha!!

Doug_M
10-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Latest I heard was they were pulled because someone reported an improperly pinned mag. Some earlier today said they were back on the shelf at the CT in Leduc.

kennymo
10-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Popped over to CGN for a bit, too many server errors and bad gateway messages here this afternoon. This same topic has already devolved into 'if they're going to take my SKS they'd better bring body bags', but before that lovely and well reasoned tidbit, somebody posted this:

just got off the phone...

Pembroke was just informed they have to take the SKS OFF the shelves. there is apparently going to be an investigation as to how "Canadian Tire could have sold a Full Auto rifle".

my best guess... they sold the guy a semi......................... and it wasnt cleaned.....

So, sounds like some jackass bought one and went straight to the range without cleaning his gun and zapped off a five round string. Then probably b##tched at his local store manager, who called head office, where somebody with zero knowledge on the subject matter hit the panic button with nightmares of lawsuits....

Doug_M
10-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Do you think the CFP lab boys frequent sksboards.com and no the issues? Me neither....

lone-wolf
10-10-2014, 04:28 PM
interesting, I just wanted to tag this post to see what happens.

GlockGuy
10-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Go to page 6 of the thread on CGN There is a jpg of the Can Tire Stop Sale Order posted.

Grizz
10-10-2014, 11:54 PM
Great, here we go again!!!!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Gaidheal
10-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Ya know, if you are negligent with maintenance on your car it's on you when something goes wonky.

The same should apply to firearms.

The VENDOR cannot be held responsible if the BUYER is a F#cktard.

Strewth
10-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Ya know, if you are negligent with maintenance on your car it's on you when something goes wonky.

The same should apply to firearms.

The VENDOR cannot be held responsible if the BUYER is a F#cktard.

True enough, although we do have recalls of car problems...sounds like CT should maybe stay away from milsurp in this age of lack of personal responsibility. It would take a special person to report a very well know issue like the potential for SKS slamfire. No one in the chain of events had the knowledge to strip the gun to listen for the firing pin rattle?

Grizz
10-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Someone should let CTC know...it may change the course of the outcome if they had that specific knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampdonkey
10-11-2014, 04:28 PM
They yanked them off the shelves in some locales following Moncton. Head office was rumoured to be trying to cut back on the sales of 'tactical' type guns as well at one point. Is this just in the last couple days or what?

What's your source/reference for that?

SereneCarbine
10-13-2014, 04:57 PM
CT in fact does not allow tactical product numbers to be ordered from associate stores. They gave milsurps a free pass because of the strong showing they early had early on resulting in high sales. They still do not fully support milsurps, and this latest incident may result in those sku's being removed as well.
I was a Manager (not sales) when the roll out of firearms took place last summer and had a part in the stores firearm setup, processes implementation and staff product knowledge training.

soulchaser
10-14-2014, 07:25 AM
Just a heads up.

Canadian Tire head office has issued a directive to pull all Russian SKS off the shelves.

There are a couple rumors as to why.

1) Someone bought a Russian SKS from CT that had an unpinned mag.

2) There was an incident at a shooting range where the gun "Went full auto" (sounds more like a slam fire occured) and that gun was purchased at CT.

blacksmithden
10-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Third rumor.....corporate found out they were "military assault rifles" and panicked.

speedloader
10-14-2014, 09:47 AM
yeah The SKS really makes our classification system look even more redundant than it is
maybe crappy tire woke up to that

kennymo
10-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Time for one of those famous 60% off sales....y'know so we can help get them out of their hair.....no refunds is fine by me

Carguy2550
10-14-2014, 11:11 AM
The Slam Fire Radio guys said it was only Wynne-tario stores that had pulled SKS rifles. Anyone know if it has spread? I'll check Calgary - running low on 22LR.

Doug_M
10-14-2014, 11:23 AM
The Slam Fire Radio guys said it was only Wynne-tario stores that had pulled SKS rifles. Anyone know if it has spread? I'll check Calgary - running low on 22LR.

There's a 14 page thread on cgn. It is country wide.

soulchaser
10-14-2014, 11:53 AM

Country wide and only at CT.

Carguy2550
10-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Interesting. Canadian tire has a lot of buying power and locations. Something's up. Any plausible explanations on the other site or just the usual conspiracy theory type stuff?

Shalimar
10-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Nada here.. but none of the local CT's carry firearms at all sadly. But I can easily believe it to be an over reaction to one off improperly pinned etc

kennymo
10-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Interesting. Canadian tire has a lot of buying power and locations. Something's up. Any plausible explanations on the other site or just the usual conspiracy theory type stuff?

Head Office has already demonstrated that they're kinda uncomfortable getting back into the whole 'guns' thing. Semi autos and tactical style guns were temporarily yanked (at least out East) for a time after Moncton, and they've expressed a dislike for anything that's not a traditional hunting firearm to some of the stores. Apparently even asking several of them to cease black gun sales once current inventory was gone. I figure there was some sort of incident, what exactly no one agrees on yet, and Head Office hit the panic switch prematurely.

Shalimar
10-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Head Office has already demonstrated that they're kinda uncomfortable getting back into the whole 'guns' thing. Semi autos and tactical style guns were temporarily yanked (at least out East) for a time after Moncton, and they've expressed a dislike for anything that's not a traditional hunting firearm to some of the stores. Apparently even asking several of them to cease black gun sales once current inventory was gone. I figure there was some sort of incident, what exactly no one agrees on yet, and Head Office hit the panic switch prematurely.

Gotta be all "PC" you know... can't ever actually blame the real bad guy for his/her own actions instead of a knee jerk retarded reaction.... :Bang head:

mtlgun
10-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Just another good reason not to spend a dime in a CT on firearms or accessories.

awndray
10-15-2014, 05:04 AM
You want to know what else is a knee-jerk reaction? Chastising CTC without having any details from a credible source.

Mad Hatter
10-15-2014, 09:54 AM
I think it may be part of CTC's overall marketing strategy to become goody two-shoes.

cameron
11-16-2014, 06:44 AM
They may be making them restricted

Doug_M
11-16-2014, 07:17 AM
They may be making them restricted
Impossible. The RCMP CFP does not have that power. It would have to be named restricted via an OIC by the government. They (RCMP) can only reclassify to prohibited and only if they deem it a variant of something already prohibited, a converted auto, or easily converted to full auto. In the case of the SKS only the latter could apply.

Apparently an SKS was turned in last month because it was full auto.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/rep-rap/inspection-eng.htm

One sample was inspected in October, 2014 which would fire only in the full automatic mode, was prone to shock discharge, and had an incomplete safety switch mechanism. Discharge of the carbine could be initiated simply by following the normal loading and cocking sequence. The full automatic fire capability could be migrated from one SKS carbine to another by moving the trigger mechanism thus establishing the problem lies solely in the trigger mechanism.

Shalimar
11-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Impossible. The RCMP CFP does not have that power. It would have to be named restricted via an OIC by the government. They (RCMP) can only reclassify to prohibited and only if they deem it a variant of something already prohibited, a converted auto, or easily converted to full auto. In the case of the SKS only the latter could apply.

Apparently an SKS was turned in last month because it was full auto.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/rep-rap/inspection-eng.htm

rcmp upto their usual lunacy .... now a poorly cleaned/maintained and malfunctioning SKS is a "full auto".. gee all we need to do then to make them full auto is bad maintenance!

Doug_M
11-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Actually it appears to be a modified trigger group.

Shalimar
11-16-2014, 08:14 AM
Actually it appears to be a modified trigger group.

True.. but it again is yet more typical rcmp BS in the end. Anything to try to justify their part in the "firearms act"... when in reality even if it was a FA intentionally designed that way that in our hands does not instantly kill kittens and puppies etc... and of course the info from that url would mean that instead of inspecting all of them (actual work) they would of course just try to prohibit them.. (good luck knowing where they all are)

Petamocto
11-16-2014, 02:52 PM
I appreciate CT for bringing firearms back to stores, but their prices can be pretty out of control.

Price match today was a Savage Rascal. It's $180 at Cabela's, $185 at Wolverine, $198 at Epps, but $209 at CT.

That's $20 or 10% more than the average from elsewhere. No thanks CT.

Billythreefeathers
11-16-2014, 03:16 PM
I appreciate CT for bringing firearms back to stores, but their prices can be pretty out of control.

Price match today was a Savage Rascal. It's $180 at Cabela's, $185 at Wolverine, $198 at Epps, but $209 at CT.

,, was at the Swift Current gun show recently, CT had a booth set up and had SKS for $169 and Mosins for $149, I guess it all evens out..

Gaidheal
11-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Yep. My last SKSs were $144 at CTC.

Doug_M
11-16-2014, 07:33 PM
CT prices are set at each individual store it would seem, at least for the milsurps.

Petamocto
11-16-2014, 07:38 PM
CT prices are set at each individual store it would seem, at least for the milsurps.

I concur that it does seem to vary wildly, even in stores close to each other. The only gun I've ever actually bought from CT was my Mossberg MVP combo, which was $40 less in Collingwood than it was in Owen Sound an hour away. That said, it's the same Collingwood CT that now has the Savage Rascal at the highest price I've ever seen it.

Gaidheal
11-16-2014, 08:33 PM
To be fair, the CTC I bought my last round of SKSs from was selling at a higher price than I mention but when proposed with a sale of a number of units they agreed to what might be considered a bulk buy. That said I paid $144 for each one I bought.

And they are awesome. As mentioned elsewhere I had a guy who had never seen a gun before shooting in the X-ring within the 1st few shots he EVER fired, with surplus ammo, at 100 yards with iron sights.

The upshot (!) of all that is we have another shooter in our ranks due to an el-cheapo CTC SKS, some el-cheapo surplus ammo and a lunch-hour well-wasted.

:shoot:

mlehto
11-17-2014, 05:48 AM

CT will price match!

I brought this up when the local CT opened their firearms/hunting section and was told they would be happy to price match.

mlehto
11-17-2014, 06:51 AM
RCMP Bulletin was just released about the SKS...

Special Business Bulletin No. 89

November 14, 2014

Issue

A non-restricted Russian SKS carbine has been found to discharge in a full automatic manner, raising public safety concerns.

Background

The firearm was purchased in Ontario by an individual who turned it in to the police of jurisdiction following discovery that it fires in automatic mode; the situation was subsequently brought to the attention of the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of Ontario. The RCMP Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) has since provided technical support. The CFP examined and tested the non-restricted Russian SKS carbine in question and uncovered several safety concerns:

It fires in automatic mode only (there is no semi-automatic mode).
The firearm is prone to discharge unintentionally.
The firearm can be fired by simply releasing the cocking handle.
It does not include a functional safety mechanism.
The CFP also examined 20 other samples of the same non-restricted Russian SKS carbine and found that they operated in a semi-automatic fashion only.

Implications and Inspection Protocol

This is a product safety issue for Russian SKS carbine importers and retailers because there is an increased risk to the public if the firearm fires in a different manner than semi-automatic.

Review the attached Inspection Protocol for SKS Carbines and use it to safely verify the firing mode of all Russian SKS carbines in your business inventory. If you discover any Russian SKS carbines capable of full automatic fire, immediately quarantine the firearm, store it safely and contact your Chief Firearms Officer. Thank you for your cooperation.

For more information, contact your CFO by calling the CFP at 1-800-731-4000 or by visiting the CFP website.

To facilitate future communication between the Canadian Firearms Program and your agency, please forward your agency e-mail address to: cfp-pcaf@rcmp-grc.gc.ca. Thank you!

livewire0129
11-17-2014, 07:20 AM
Clean your firing pins, people! If you can't hear it rattle when you shake the bolt back and forth, don't shoot it!

mlehto
11-17-2014, 07:30 AM
Pretty ridiculous over-reaction to a common firearm cleaning issue...

So easy on an SKS as well...

There really us no excuse for such BS!

Gaidheal
11-17-2014, 07:37 AM
And be very careful of the replacement firing pins that have a spring to make them "safer". I won't post why here.

livewire0129
11-17-2014, 07:58 AM
And be very careful of the replacement firing pins that have a spring to make them "safer". I won't post why here. Absolutely no need for such added complexity; just clean your damn guns people!!! You will never have an issue!

Kobs
11-17-2014, 08:32 AM
My local CT solved the issue a long time ago, all they sell is see trough plastic airsoft stuff and the odd pellet guns and rifle.
The entire window that had ammunition is now stacked with yellow and pink jars of beads and crossman stuff... problem solved
Funny though they always have a section of those stack-on gun safes up the the big $1400 one.

Doug_M
11-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Clean your firing pins, people! If you can't hear it rattle when you shake the bolt back and forth, don't shoot it!

This incident (check my post on page 4) is not about a stuck firing pin. It was a modified or damaged trigger group.

kennymo
11-17-2014, 11:54 AM
This incident (check my post on page 4) is not about a stuck firing pin. It was a modified or damaged trigger group.

My guess is damaged or defective from the description of the gun firing upon closing the bolt.

livewire0129
11-17-2014, 04:57 PM

My apologies; wonder how many are out there with this issue?

Gunexpert007
11-17-2014, 08:48 PM
My apologies; wonder how many are out there with this issue?

My guess would be very few , or none . If it was a common issue.....there would be examples of it all over You Tube and other gun sites . Sounds like the trigger group on this particular rifle was modified for some reason.......

Shalimar
11-18-2014, 09:35 AM
My guess would be very few , or none . If it was a common issue.....there would be examples of it all over You Tube and other gun sites . Sounds like the trigger group on this particular rifle was modified for some reason.......

That won't stop the rcmp from making a big deal over it though..

Petamocto
04-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Totally bringing this thread back from the dead, but I'm visiting Windsor right now and there's an SKS for sale at Canadian Tire, so they must have solved this issue.

kennymo
04-21-2016, 08:35 AM
Totally bringing this thread back from the dead, but I'm visiting Windsor right now and there's an SKS for sale at Canadian Tire, so they must have solved this issue.

Yeah, they were only off the shelves for a very brief period. The RCMP had released a brief bulletin on the problem rifle, CT checked everything in their inventory according to that and put them back out on the floor.

FALover
04-21-2016, 10:08 AM
Does CT buy their inventory from Canadian importers or do they cut out the middle man and buy direct from the Ukraine? Is CT 'money' worth anything on the worlds arms trading scene? :tounge:

Lazagna
04-21-2016, 10:38 AM
In Calgary, CT had LOTS is you pick the right store. Example is Shawnessey store has dozens on display right now.

From my Xperia Z2 via Tapatalk

UCSPanther
04-21-2016, 11:33 AM
I saw a few at the Westside Kelowna Cambodian Tire as well. I also saw some new production Imperial Ammunition shotgun shells as well, including #2 lead shot.

And yes, I was sober at the time...

RatherBeCamping
04-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Was at canadian tire this past weekend. Lots of SKS for 225 buckaroos

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

ESnel
04-21-2016, 04:04 PM
Does CT buy their inventory from Canadian importers or do they cut out the middle man and buy direct from the Ukraine? Is CT 'money' worth anything on the worlds arms trading scene? :tounge:

The discussion I had with a local CT(independent) was they brought them in via a Canadian importer/distributor. The explanation was that even the independents have to order through approved channels,anything not available direct from corporate requires permission.Corporate provides a collection of catalogs from which to order firearms and related equipment,they have the ability to order a very large range of product

Billythreefeathers
04-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Swift Current store has SKS and Mosins,,, if you talk nice they'll let you pick through the guns in the cage ;),, picked out a real nice '43 MN for $149.

shadowwarrior
04-23-2016, 02:50 PM
I adopted an SKS(my other 2 were getting lonely) last week at Cambodian Tire in Cochrane last week for $199 picked through a bunch of them and took a really good shape lighter coloured stock.

Waterloomike
04-23-2016, 07:42 PM
Canadian tire in kitchener on victoria had 6 last night,

Eddmac
05-16-2016, 12:58 AM
Canadian Tire in Mission BC had a couple of SKS for sale at $209 this weekend. The one I could see didn't have matching serial numbers on the stock and magazine cover though.

kennymo
05-16-2016, 01:43 AM
The original purpose of this thread was to discuss SKS rifles being yanked off the shelves at CT way back in October 2014.

Explained here:

The removal of SKSs from CTC has only been occuring the last few days......no official word yet from CTC as to why , but there is speculation that an SKS went full auto in slamfire mode at an Ontario shooting range recently , and some whiner went complaining about it . If some of these people would take a few minutes to clean the grease and cosmoline out from around the firing pin after they buy an SKS , then they would not have these slamfires........now I suppose there will be a big push on to ban SKSs ........

Now, after much ado, it came out that CT had received an SKS with a trigger that was either experimental or had been tampered with back in communist times and would only shoot full auto. Canadian Tire then temporarily pulled SKS's off the shelves, and inspected their entire inventory in conjunction with an RCMP bulletin, after which the guns were released for sale again. As far as I am aware, every CT that deals in firearms has SKS's on the shelf right now, and since the incident happened way back in October 2014, I'm going to close the thread down since it keeps popping up without people going through the subject matter and just posting that their store has the guns...