PDA

View Full Version : Was I gifted a decent rifle?

mustardtiger57
10-18-2014, 06:13 PM
So for a while now I've wanted a tikka t3, something acccurate , reliable, and fairly rugged and mount a prostaff scope on it. However I was recently given a brand new browning AB3 in .270. It was regularly priced at 600.00(same as tikka). I plan on taking the money I would have spent on the tikka and purchasing a vortex viper.

Anyways Will this be a decent mid range hunting rifle for winter hunting(deer/elk) in November/December? Or is it equivalent to a really cheap rifle such as a 783 or axis?

At the end of the day, I really just want to know if I have a solid, accurate, and reliable rifle that can take the cold. What do you guys think? Will this do the trick?
Or is this really just a dispensable el cheapo rifle like an axis or 783?

lone-wolf
10-18-2014, 06:19 PM
The Tikka is considered an entry level rifle on this review as well.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_bolt_action_economy_rifles.htm

Summary: Approximate Order of Preference

This is not Holy Writ; it is just my impression after comparing these rifles. True value means the best quality and fewest cheesy shortcuts for the money. It won't hurt my feelings if you disagree.

1.Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Synthetic
2.Tikka T3 Lite
3.Browning AB3
4.Marlin X7
5.Ruger American
6.Mossberg ATR
7.Savage Axis
8.Remington Model 783

The Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Synthetic is the clear winner in terms of quality and long term value. It is the only barreled action worth upgrading. You could replace the cheap plastic stock with a decent walnut version, have the barreled action polished and high luster blued and emerge with a semi-custom rifle of which you could be proud. (Of course, it would be more cost effective to simply buy a Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe in the first place.)

The Tikka T3 and Browning AB3 stand above the remainder of the pack. The Browning's action design is a little more sophisticated than normal for the class and its finish is a bit better. The Browning's stock and furnishings are below what you would get on an X-Bolt or classic A-Bolt, but above average for the class. Basically, the same can be said about the Tikka T3 Lite.

Rory McCanuck
10-18-2014, 08:10 PM
A Browning A-Bolt in .270?
Might be the only rifle you ever need.
Not the nicest or prettiest of the Brownings, but still a really good rifle.
The .270 is a truly useful round; there was a fellow named Jack O'Connor had a couple of good things to say about it.
Decent glass on it, handload for it, learn to shoot it and shoot it well, there isn't much you couldn't do with it in North America.

mustardtiger57
10-18-2014, 08:55 PM
Yes but this isn't the average a bolt in an updated version. This is a more economy minded rifle, similar to the 700 SPS vs other 700 models.
http://m.basspro.com/Browning-ABolt-III-Composite-Stalker-Rifle/product/13021405411917/?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

What do you think? I am trying to determine if it is really just a cheap crap budget rifle similar to an axis or 783 or a clear step up from those and comparable to something like a 700 SPS?

Rory McCanuck
10-18-2014, 09:00 PM
To be fair, I haven't handled an A-Bolt III. I may have skipped the II, too.
Is it very different from an old A-Bolt?

With the 783, isn't that the one guys were having problems with the bolt handle breaking off?

lone-wolf
10-18-2014, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't even consider the axis a disposable rifle, I would consider it a solid, accurate, and reliable rifle. I would rate the old stevens 200 better than the axis though.

AB3 having a 60degree bolt lift and detachable box mag is a nice touch.

Since you have it in your hands, if it feels right do it. If it doesn't feel right, toss it. Even lowly axis isn't going to fall apart, and my .223 one shot good. I sold it, cause I have model that feels better, looks better, and shoots a little tighter.

kennymo
10-18-2014, 09:16 PM
A hair above the bargain basement rifles IMO. I'd put it fairly close on the playing field to the basic Savage 11/111 (better than Axis) or the Vanguard (my favorite bargain gun). I've only handled them though, never shot one yet. If Browning is willing to plaster their name on it, it should have reasonably good accuracy from a hunting perspective. I'd shoot the thing and see what I thought of it.... If you hate it, use it as a trade to get your Tikka...

mustardtiger57
10-18-2014, 11:34 PM
A hair above the bargain basement rifles IMO. I'd put it fairly close on the playing field to the basic Savage 11/111 (better than Axis) or the Vanguard (my favorite bargain gun). I've only handled them though, never shot one yet. If Browning is willing to plaster their name on it, it should have reasonably good accuracy from a hunting perspective. I'd shoot the thing and see what I thought of it.... If you hate it, use it as a trade to get your Tikka...
Ok, so based on what I'm looking for. A rifle that is rugged, tough, reliable, and accurate would you say I have done pretty well?

lone-wolf
10-18-2014, 11:37 PM
you have to shoot it to know if it's accurate...

mustardtiger57
10-18-2014, 11:48 PM
you have to shoot it to know if it's accurate...
True. What do you think about reliability and durability? I'll be using this rifle for a few years, spending a lot of my time in the bush and snow. I'm assuming because its browning I'll be OK. What do you think?

kennymo
10-19-2014, 12:06 AM
True. What do you think about reliability and durability? I'll be using this rifle for a few years, spending a lot of my time in the bush and snow. I'm assuming because its browning I'll be OK. What do you think?

Those A bolt 3's blued or have a matte finish on the metal work? Either way treat it a couple times with G96 and you should be good to go. I wouldn't worry about it reliability wise, unless you plan on using it to pound tent stakes.

webster
10-19-2014, 12:19 PM
I don't think Browning makes anything on the level of the Axis or 783. They pretty much start at Tikka quality and go up from there. I'd run with it for now. If the ergos are no good for you then you may want to look at something else but as far as quality and reliability, it'll do what you need. It is a bolt gun, after all. Treat it well and it will outlast you.